Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sig wrote: View Post
    Amir untouchable?
    Not sure about "untouchable", but his value on this team is very high. I'd go as far as saying he's more valuable to this team than Lowry or DeRozan...his hustle and effort are unmatched.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• I'm back on the fence on this one. People have made some good arguments on both sides..
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
        I'm back on the fence on this one. People have made some good arguments on both sides..
        I'm on the fence with you. Not only is it hard to compare the 2 players straight-up, both in terms of today and future projections, but it also comes down to subsequent roster moves for me.

For example...

Davis traded
        - Bargnani is still on the trade block, even if that leaves only Amir as a legit PF on the roster
        - team still has lots of wing depth to include in future trades, whether it's a small money prospect (Ross), mid/big money add-in to balance salary (Fields) or a big money player (DeRozan)

Ross traded
        - Bargnani is still on the trade block
        - still some PF redundancy going forward (Amir/Davis), since Valanciunas is the starting C and one of Amir/Davis would be forced into a backup role
        - when Davis' contract is up (sooner than Ross's contract is up), would he be worth the money he'd likely demand, given that both Amir/Davis are on the roster?
        - the wing depth would be thinned, leaving a primary rotation of Gay/DeRozan/Fields, meaning that another trade involving a wing player is likely off the table

I still lean towards trading Davis:
        - Amir made him redundant
        - I wouldn't have wanted to pay him when his contract is up, so trading while value is high and still on rookie-scale contract is ideal asset management
        - wing depth still intact, which leaves yet another major trade asset on the team for use in subsequent trades

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          I'm on the fence with you. Not only is it hard to compare the 2 players straight-up, both in terms of today and future projections, but it also comes down to subsequent roster moves for me.

- when Davis' contract is up (sooner than Ross's contract is up), would he be worth the money he'd likely demand, given that both Amir/Davis are on the roster?
          The point of Davis' contract situation was one of the key reasons I jumped back on the fence. That wasn't something that I had considered and you're right -- how much would he command and would it be worthwhile keeping him at that point? Perhaps it was better we got something now for him than letting him walk a year from now. On the other hand I still don't see Ross getting enough exposure to develop into a player that I think he's capable of becoming. If only Landry Fields' contract weren't so toxic.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

• Sig wrote: View Post
            Amir untouchable?
            If you don't think he's untouchable, he's very near it. The things he does for this team will not be matched.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              If you don't think he's untouchable, he's very near it. The things he does for this team will not be matched.
              The problem with Amir throughout his career has been his inconsistency. If what we're seeing now is the new Amir, then I might agree that we'd be stupid to let him go.

But in order to make that determination, I'd want to be sure that this isn't just a good 20-game stretch without the pressure of the playoffs weighing anyone down.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                The problem with Amir throughout his career has been his inconsistency. If what we're seeing now is the new Amir, then I might agree that we'd be stupid to let him go.

But in order to make that determination, I'd want to be sure that this isn't just a good 20-game stretch without the pressure of the playoffs weighing anyone down.
                If you mean production, sure. His effort, nope. He's always going forward, and gives 110% all the time.

So, everything Amir brought to this team pre-Milwaukee game (game the Raptors likely lost any playoff hopes) wasn't great? I would like to see some stats before I agree/disagree with you.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                  If you mean production, sure. His effort, nope. He's always going forward, and gives 110% all the time.

So, everything Amir brought to this team pre-Milwaukee game (game the Raptors likely lost any playoff hopes) wasn't great? I would like to see some stats before I agree/disagree with you.
                  Yes, in terms of production. But I'm not specifically talking about this year, but his entire career to date. No emphasis placed on the Milwaukee game.

I would never question Amir's heart/effort.

Comment

Yes, in terms of production. But I'm not specifically talking about this year, but his entire career to date. No emphasis placed on the Milwaukee game.

I question his focus/brain at times.

He is prone to some DUMB mistakes.

I'll live with it though because I know he is going balls out every night.

Comment

Fair enough, although, I would counter that with his impressive improvement in each side of the game (remembering back to when fans stated "he is what he is"). He's been playing extremely well THIS season, and whilst he might not be a top PF in the league, some of his advanced statistics/averages are in the top of the league.

I personally don't think anyone should. He's a leader on this team with his effort.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I question his focus/brain at times.

He is prone to some DUMB mistakes.
                        I'll live with it though because I know he is going balls out every night.
                        I agree, his basketball IQ is not the best (maybe because playing so little time, and coming straight from high school).

Comment

• Off the court, I'd love to see Amir develop more of an overt leadership quality. The type who is going to be vocal during timeouts, and openly challenge his teammates when they're not giving 100% effort. IMO, he's the only player on the Raptors who has the credibility to do so.

We really haven't had that guy since the Alvin Williams/Charles Oakley/Antonio Davis days. Every locker room needs one (or three).

EDIT: This team needs to be more self-policing. Casey can only do so much...

Comment

• Is Rudy wearing Amare glasses now??? I was listening to the radio and it said something about him rocking a new look while playing.

Comment

Off the court, I'd love to see Amir develop more of an overt leadership quality. The type who is going to be vocal during timeouts, and openly challenge his teammates when they're not giving 100% effort. IMO, he's the only player on the Raptors who has the credibility to do so.

We really haven't had that guy since the Alvin Williams/Charles Oakley/Antonio Davis days. Every locker room needs one (or three).

EDIT: This team needs to be more self-policing. Casey can only do so much...
                              With you on that one. Amir is the ONLY Raptor with that kind of credibility.

Comment

• heart and effort has nothing to do with winning as we've seen this season

Comment

Working...
                                X