View Poll Results: Would you swap Ross for Davis in the Gay trade if possible?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

34 40.48%
  • No.

50 59.52%
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Rudy Gay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Hard to really measure where you are in game though..

looking forward to finally seeing the legitimate Casey system in play.
    How so? That is focus and execution. It is hard but the really well coached teams and top talent find a way.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    Honestly I'm not sure why this wasn't the emphasis before.

We have a ton of guys that can finish in traffic, draw fouls and score in the paint.

Don't mind utilizing mid-range as well, especially if we're in the playoffs you need to be able to make those shots. I'd rather see mid-range J's from 10-15 than 16-23 though.
    Agreed, but it takes both a certain mentality and a whole next-level skill set to be able to finish in tough traffic. Do Gay and DeRozan partly finish well at the rim because they avoid attacking in really tough situations? Could they sustain a higher level of attacking in traffic and absorbing a lot of contact over an entire season? A lot of guys can't - even guys who do start to break down early (Dwayne Wade), other guys have the skills to get to the basket but not finish in tough traffic (Evan Turner), other guys don't even have the mental makeup to be that aggressive (Vince Carter).

At this point in his career, I'd say Rudy is most like Vince - I just don't think it's in him to attack hard over a full season. I also think he must have one eye on the $18 mil/year he's making, and weighing that against physical risks/career longevity considerations (how could you not consider the length of your career?).

"Attack the basket more" is probably one of the easiest things to say and hardest things to do. When teams know you'll attack, they pack the paint, bring help, and get ready to cram that ball back down your throat.

I like your "10-15 feet" suggestion. Some more pull-ups, floaters, hook shots, etc. would be a great way to compromise between driving blindly into a group of bigs (a lot of contact) and firing up fade away J's from 20 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    How so? That is focus and execution. It is hard but the really well coached teams and top talent find a way.
    That's a really good point. It's not ALWAYS the player, sometimes they're taking the shots that they've practiced but good defenses/poor offensive execution push them back a few feet. Metrics are teaching us a lot about good basketball, it doesn't have to be about ball-stopping and shot-blocking, sometimes it's just taking a 48% shot and turning it into a 39% shot that wins games throughout the season.
    "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mundy wrote: View Post
    That's a really good point. It's not ALWAYS the player, sometimes they're taking the shots that they've practiced but good defenses/poor offensive execution push them back a few feet. Metrics are teaching us a lot about good basketball, it doesn't have to be about ball-stopping and shot-blocking, sometimes it's just taking a 48% shot and turning it into a 39% shot that wins games throughout the season.
    Shane Battier is slow-clapping right now.

5. Like Mundy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Shane Battier is slow-clapping right now.
    Haha.... just because he looks the way he does doesn't mean he can't clap right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Agreed, but it takes both a certain mentality and a whole next-level skill set to be able to finish in tough traffic. Do Gay and DeRozan partly finish well at the rim because they avoid attacking in really tough situations? Could they sustain a higher level of attacking in traffic and absorbing a lot of contact over an entire season? A lot of guys can't - even guys who do start to break down early (Dwayne Wade), other guys have the skills to get to the basket but not finish in tough traffic (Evan Turner), other guys don't even have the mental makeup to be that aggressive (Vince Carter).

At this point in his career, I'd say Rudy is most like Vince - I just don't think it's in him to attack hard over a full season. I also think he must have one eye on the $18 mil/year he's making, and weighing that against physical risks/career longevity considerations (how could you not consider the length of your career?).

"Attack the basket more" is probably one of the easiest things to say and hardest things to do. When teams know you'll attack, they pack the paint, bring help, and get ready to cram that ball back down your throat.

I like your "10-15 feet" suggestion. Some more pull-ups, floaters, hook shots, etc. would be a great way to compromise between driving blindly into a group of bigs (a lot of contact) and firing up fade away J's from 20 feet.
    I was listening to Jalen Rose on the BS Report, he said he developed a runner and a floater because his local hoop was literally stolen all the time, so they had to play using a milk crate on an electricity pole. If you finished your dirve you crashed into the pole. Maybe that's not the worst way to learn.

8. Like isaacthompson, Nilanka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In his fifth year, he was ascendant. Through 54 games he was averaging 19.8 points a game while shooting 47 per cent from the floor and 39 per cent from beyond the three-point arc. He was also averaging just over six rebounds, 1.7 steals and 1.1 blocks along with a career-high 2.8 assists. All of this as the fulcrum of a Memphis Grizzlies team that was surging to a 50-win season and a playoff spot.

The only player who has matched those numbers in the past 10 years was LeBron James who did it (and then some) last season on his way to his fourth MVP award.

Since the three-point line was introduced in 1979–80 only 10 players have shown that kind of versatility, and it’s a remarkable list, featuring the likes of Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon.

But then Gay caught the ball on the right block in the second quarter of the Grizzlies game against the Philadelphia 76ers and whirled hard to his left. Overmatched, 76ers rookie Evan Turner had no choice but to deliver a hard chop across Gay’s arms, giving up a two-shot foul rather than the easy bucket in the paint that was surely coming.

It was a fairly innocent-looking play, but it changed everything for Gay. He was sent to the floor writhing in pain. His left (non-shooting) shoulder required reconstructive surgery for what was a conceivably career-ending injury.

“I don’t think people realized what kind of surgery that was,” he said this week as the Raptors opened training camp for what will be a pivotal season for Gay and the franchise. “It was basically a reconstruction of my shoulder. In the past people wouldn’t have come back from that.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-lead-raptors/
    Good article from Grange.

Big cut out above but much more to article.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

“I charted it all out. Over the past month he was shooting upwards of 65–75 per cent on non-contested (three-point) shots—he was in the mid-50s when he started,” says Gray. “He made a big jump.”
    Me likey
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

11. Like FoxMachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^ Matt52 - Nice find. Here's to hoping Gay can evolve and stay healthy.

Raptors Republic Superstar FoxMachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

in response to a fan asking whether the blazers should trade for Gay:

Rudy Gay has become a pariah of sorts around the league, especially among the stat-savvy. Criticisms include inefficient offense (true), drifting farther out to the perimeter each year when he's actually not that good of a shot (true), bad defense (used to be very true but got disguised in Memphis a little...probably still accurate), selfishness (whooo doggy yes), and a huge contract. That last one increases the severity of all the others. If he made $8 million a year instead of $18 million he'd be far more intriguing.
    http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/10/2...-dwight-howard

He has a bit more to say but we've heard all this before.. just thought id post it. After watching Rudy more closely last season I thought his defense was pretty good, no? Just his length on defense is a huge plus.. I don't get all the criticism over it

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rudy Gay has good defense, has shown the ability to shoot efficiently and thus have a consistent efficient offensive game, and I never felt he was too selfish, in fact he would be the only one who consistently tried getting JV in the post!
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Rudy Gay has good defense, has shown the ability to shoot efficiently and thus have a consistent efficient offensive game, and I never felt he was too selfish, in fact he would be the only one who consistently tried getting JV in the post!
    well.. I didn't expect this response lol I disagree

Post Thanks / Like

as far as selfishness. I have no fuckin clue.. im still trying to figure that out.. what do u guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote FoxMachine wrote: View Post
    well.. I didn't expect this response lol I disagree
    Rudy gay showing he can consistently shoot efficiently (and thus have an efficient offense):

2007-2011

FG% : 46%, 45%, 47%, 47%

3PT% : 35%, 35%, 33%, 40%

TS% : 55%, 53%, 54%, 55%

Compare to SF average in those years and you will see that Rudy has had high usage in times of high efficiency.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I think people think that average in the NBA is 50% FG and 40% from the 3 the average NBA player shoots between 30-33% from three and approximately 40% from the field. Rudy IS efficient. BUT he shoots from low percentage regions of the floor way too much. THAT is the problem with his game.

19. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    I think people think that average in the NBA is 50% FG and 40% from the 3 the average NBA player shoots between 30-33% from three and approximately 40% from the field. Rudy IS efficient. BUT he shoots from low percentage regions of the floor way too much. THAT is the problem with his game.
    He has poor shot selection more often than not.

Post Thanks / Like

Rudy gay showing he can consistently shoot efficiently (and thus have an efficient offense):

2007-2011

Compare to SF average in those years and you will see that Rudy has had high usage in times of high efficiency.
    is he not considered to be one of the most inefficient scorers in the league along with monta ellis and Brandon Jennings? (tho I feel like Jennings had a better year last season)

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I still stick to the notion that Gay is a poor man's Carmelo, with a better body and more upside. But, like Carmelo you need to put him in the right system in order for the team to succeed, NYK were good last year, because they used Melo correctly and surrounded him with defensive players, but they can't go far if JR Smith is your only other offensive weapon.

Memphis was the perfect place for Rudy, since he was stuck onto a disciplined defensive team, he just was paid too much. Toronto will give Gay more freedom to operate, but we don't have the players that can cover his weaknesses. I wish Gay played more like Lebron than Melo though, I rather he get 10-10-10 instead of 30-8-4.

I want Lowry and Derozan to be the offensive weapon 1 and 2 with JV, Gay, Amir getting their points on the side. On another note, Memphis chose Allen over Mayo for their 2 guard spot. And Mayo is similar or arguably better than Derozan, but with a 3-point shot. The more and more I type, the more I realize that the Memphis composition is what I wish Toronto to become and that Toronto isn't even close.

Gay is the only starter on Toronto that is better than Memphis's starter, yet Memphis did better without him..
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Post Thanks / Like

is he not considered to be one of the most inefficient scorers in the league along with monta ellis and Brandon Jennings? (tho I feel like Jennings had a better year last season)
    Brandon Jennings:

FG: 37%, 39%, 42%, 40%
    3pt: 37%, 32%, 33%, 38%

It is obvious that Rudy is way more efficient.

And Monta Ellis is not that inefficient (save a bad 3pt shot), he has had seasons scoring 50%+ FG in 81 games, as a SG. Only his most recent season and his rookie season has his FG% dipper below 43%.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

2007-2011

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    He has poor shot selection more often than not.
    Brandon Jennings:

FG: 37%, 39%, 42%, 40%
    3pt: 37%, 32%, 33%, 38%

It is obvious that Rudy is way more efficient.

And Monta Ellis is not that inefficient (save a bad 3pt shot), he has had seasons scoring 50%+ FG in 81 games, as a SG. Only his most recent season and his rookie season has his FG% dipper below 43%.
    Ladies and gentlemen fact vs fiction.

Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread Information