No announcement yet.

Everything Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh. It frustrates the hell out of me that Rudy and Kyle are putting this much work in just for the pay day. Why wouldn't you do it anyways? Isn't the point of being the league trying to become the best player you can be every day, and not just a year before your contract is up?

Every GM in the league must know about the contract-year phenomenon by now. Very unprofessional imo.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Lowry is playing for a chance to stay here be lead pg Rudy not so much Ujiri and management know how valuable he is.

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
        Ugh. It frustrates the hell out of me that Rudy and Kyle are putting this much work in just for the pay day. Why wouldn't you do it anyways? Isn't the point of being the league trying to become the best player you can be every day, and not just a year before your contract is up?

Every GM in the league must know about the contract-year phenomenon by now. Very unprofessional imo.
        It's human nature for effort to correlate with incentives.

Comment

• The only type of person Masai Ujiri, will overpay/sign to a long term contract is a top 10 player. So, don't fear Masai overpaying Gay or Lowry.
          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• This is a very "drunk on the kool aid" thought but I wonder what role the chemistry of this team may have in keeping it together at a reasonable price. Lowry and Gay have both been talented players on teams that thought they would be just fine without them. They have been the odd man out. It seems like they enjoy playing together. If this experiment comes together it could be interesting. And come on,.....Drake! They're not going anywhere

Comment

• jclaw wrote: View Post
              this is a very "drunk on the kool aid" thought...
              "put the dixie cup down, and step away from the pitcher! Now!"

Comment

• People give Rudy and Kyle crap for not playing to their potential so they get in shape and prepare for an awesome season and we still give them crap because "their only doing it for their contracts". Sheesh! I guess sometimes you just can't win!
                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                  People give Rudy and Kyle crap for not playing to their potential so they get in shape and prepare for an awesome season and we still give them crap because "their only doing it for their contracts". Sheesh! I guess sometimes you just can't win!
                  Nailed it.

Raptors fans in this forums are just never happy. There's always something.

Newsflash: we're not getting LeBron James. Rudy Gay is one of the best SF in the game(top 5). Best player we've had since VC. I don't understand the hate. Is it because of his contract again?
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                    Nailed it.

Raptors fans in this forums are just never happy. There's always something.

Newsflash: we're not getting LeBron James. Rudy Gay is one of the best SF in the game(top 5). Best player we've had since VC. I don't understand the hate. Is it because of his contract again?
                    I'm speculating that the "hate" stems from the possibility of seeing Gay or Lowry have great seasons that lead to new/hefty contracts with different teams.

If this happens (big "if", I know), one can't help but wonder why this motivation wasn't there last year for both players.

Comment

People give Rudy and Kyle crap for not playing to their potential so they get in shape and prepare for an awesome season and we still give them crap because "their only doing it for their contracts". Sheesh! I guess sometimes you just can't win!
                      You should know your audience.

I'm a big fan of Gay and Lowry. I just don't think they are good enough to take the Raptors out of a first round exit at a time when they are looking for their last big pay days resulting in Toronto having little opportunity for improvement.

But when both have been in the league for 7 years and, going in to an opt out/contract year, one shows up buff while the other shows up slim, well, that is a little interesting considering strength has been one's problem and conditioning the others since they've come in to the league. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

Maybe you're not old enough to remember 2009/10 season or weren't a Raptor fan at that time but this is EXACTLY what happened with Bosh. He showed up a beast, he played like a beast until the all-star break when injuries set in, and then the next season (this is nothing about where he played) he came back a twig.

Contract years are notorious for bringing out the best in players.

Comment

• I get what you're saying Matt, it's sketchy but would you rather them not get better at all? Them playing well means their value increases and that's great for this team.
                        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          I'm speculating that the "hate" stems from the possibility of seeing Gay or Lowry have great seasons that lead to new/hefty contracts with different teams.
                          I'm not seeing the hate from me or anyone else.

What is wrong with skepticism of guys entering contract years showing up in the best shape of their careers?

If Gay or Lowry end up on other teams, so be it. That is their right as unrestricted free agents.

The issues, for me, are:
                          1) what if they revert to their previous 7 year experience ways in year 9 and onwards?
                          2) what if the Raptors become firmly entrenched as a first round exit at best team with no flexibility or assets moving forwards?

The absolute BEST case scenario for resigning both is $20M in my opinion. In doing that you just capped them out until 2016 with just 6 guys under contract and likely just $10M in cap space assuming all free agents (including Amir) are renounced.

Comment

I get what you're saying Matt, it's sketchy but would you rather them not get better at all? Them playing well means their value increases and that's great for this team.
                            I happy they have come in addressing issues that have dodged them their entire career.

I'm tiptoeing on the tank line here and I don't want to derail another thread.

The big picture shouldn't be on 2013-2014. I'm not looking for short term feel good results such as a playoff result. My eye is looking towards 2015-16 and specifically the summer of 2016. The summer of 2016 will be the last opportunity for Toronto to enter free agency without JV's extension. I'd much rather see steps made now that gives every opportunity to see cornerstones of the franchise laid for the next decade (or more).

Much has been made about the ever-changing roster under Colangelo's reign. The roster changes was not the issue - at least not in terms of the number of players turned over each year. The issue was a lack of top end talent and the ever-changing franchise cornerstones (i.e. building around guys who weren't good enough - Bosh was good enough but not on his own, Bargnani, DeRozan, Hedo, Calderon, Jack were never good enough). San Antonio is a perfect example. The only constants the last 10+ years has been Parker, Manu, and Duncan - the rest of the roster were accessories that have constantly evolved and changed.

If Lowry and Gay were 4 years younger, I'd be ecstatic with how things are looking. But considering that they are likely to peak very soon while JV is still years away from his prime, I want to see an emphasis on acquiring young, cheap players (rookie deals!) and assets (picks) that will help in 2-3 seasons when the Raptors have positioned themselves to be players on the free agent and trade market as well as benefiting from, hopefully, a successful draft pick of their own.

Comment

• I'm not sure what people want from players. There isn't a player in the NBA that can take a team past one round. You need a team, a well coached and motivated TEAM. Rudy Gay is a player that could play 3 on every single contender there is in the NBA right now. Will Rudy Gay win you the Championship? Hell no, neither will Lebron James, Kobe, or Howard.

Gay, nor any other raptor need be an absolute superstar, he is a star and thats enough. If the team can play as a well oiled machine, efficiency will go up across the board, and a guy like Gay will start to look pretty damn good.

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
                                I'm not sure what people want from players. There isn't a player in the NBA that can take a team past one round. You need a team, a well coached and motivated TEAM. Rudy Gay is a player that could play 3 on every single contender there is in the NBA right now. Will Rudy Gay win you the Championship? Hell no, neither will Lebron James, Kobe, or Howard.

Gay, nor any other raptor need be an absolute superstar, he is a star and thats enough. If the team can play as a well oiled machine, efficiency will go up across the board, and a guy like Gay will start to look pretty damn good.
                                Your point - as good as it is - totally ignores the realities and restrictions the Raptors face in an attempt to improve due to the complexities of the CBA.

Comment

Working...
                                X