Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Backup PG we should go after

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    607
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Backup PG we should go after

    Kyle Lowry is injury prone, who knows with Gay in town, Lowry might get excited but at the same time prone to injury, i can't watch JLIII play the starting PG, I personally think we need to go after a backup PG, let's say in the mold of

    Fisher
    Bibby
    Boykins

    or take a look at D-league PG
    1) Bobby Brown
    2) Scott Machado?
    3) Donald Sloan
    4) Jerel McNeal
    5) Maalik Wayns
    6) Andre Barret

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tenforthewin wrote: View Post
    Kyle Lowry is injury prone, who knows with Gay in town, Lowry might get excited but at the same time prone to injury, i can't watch JLIII play the starting PG, I personally think we need to go after a backup PG, let's say in the mold of

    Fisher
    Bibby
    Boykins

    or take a look at D-league PG
    1) Bobby Brown
    2) Scott Machado?
    3) Donald Sloan
    4) Jerel McNeal
    5) Maalik Wayns
    6) Andre Barret
    There it is.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yup,machado. Or ben uzoh
    Last edited by airforce1; Fri Feb 1st, 2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: mistake

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I haven't seen Machado play at all this year but I must say his D league stats are not that impressive.

    http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfil...scott_machado/

    39% FG%, 18% from 3, and 5.8 assists to 4.5 turnovers per game. He may have a long term potential but don't the Raptors need a back PG that's ready jump in and play right now?

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,789
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Horrible choices....just awful. None of them are worth a look. If they can't find anything before the deadline, bring back Uzoh and see if he's made any progress. I'd take Uzoh over Machado any day of the week. I think Uzoh is a much better fit. He plays D and rebounds, 2 of Lowry's biggest strengths when he's on the floor for us, but he's more pass-first than Lowry, albeit he still really needed to polish his game and shot.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Apparently Uzoh is having a good time in the D-League. Call em' up! Mr. Triple Double baby!

  7. #7
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There are lots of quality backup PG available as free agents this offseason, should BC decide to go with a stop-gap approach for the 2nd half of this season.

    Ideally Bargnani can be used to acquire a solid backup PG. Ridnour/Barea from Minnesota are good options, as are Blake/Duhon from the Lakers. Duhon's contract for next year is non-guaranteed. Could be decent backups in a Bargnani salary dump.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Feb 1st, 2013 at 11:55 AM.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd go with Uzoh unless he can acquire someone better via trade

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Gotta look at a higher calibre imo ... no interest in seeing any of that list playing minutes.

    Backup PG is so crucial in making the 2nd unit roar - and for injury relief, you want Mike Bibby covering that starting spot with JL3 as a backup?

    I'd raise the bar and expand to the trade market with one of our wings. Go after: Sessions, Udrih ... little more reliable.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,789
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    There are lots of quality backup PG available as free agents this offseason, should BC decide to go with a stop-gap approach for the 2nd half of this season.

    Ideally Bargnani can be used to acquire a solid backup PG. Ridnour/Barea from Minnesota are good options, as are Blake/Duhon from the Lakers. Duhon's contract for next year is non-guaranteed. Could be decent backups in a Bargnani salary dump.
    I really like the idea of trying to get Ridnour somehow, whether in a direct trade or multi-team deal. With Rubio, Barea and Shved, they don't really need Ridnour that much. He's got a good shot, is steady, and would bring a lot of things similar to Jose, but cheaper and as a sure backup behind Lowry so there are no playing time issues. Barea is a bit too ball-dominant for me. If he and Lowry are controlling the ball for 48 minutes, how are Gay, Demar, Ross and our bigs going to stay involved and in rhythm?

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,789
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Gotta look at a higher calibre imo ... no interest in seeing any of that list playing minutes.

    Backup PG is so crucial in making the 2nd unit roar - and for injury relief, you want Mike Bibby covering that starting spot with JL3 as a backup?

    I'd raise the bar and expand to the trade market with one of our wings. Go after: Sessions, Udrih ... little more reliable.
    I also like Sessions...though not a big fan of Udrih. Udrih is actually an undersized, unathletic SG.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,615
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ideal back-up for this team would be Kirk Hinrich. Don't know what Chicago's plans are with Rose coming back, but one would think that any team that is running Rip Hamilton these days in it's rotation could use some help on the wing.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Ideal back-up for this team would be Kirk Hinrich. Don't know what Chicago's plans are with Rose coming back, but one would think that any team that is running Rip Hamilton these days in it's rotation could use some help on the wing.
    Allan Anderson for Kirk Hinrich would be a solid deal

  14. #14
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I really like the idea of trying to get Ridnour somehow, whether in a direct trade or multi-team deal. With Rubio, Barea and Shved, they don't really need Ridnour that much. He's got a good shot, is steady, and would bring a lot of things similar to Jose, but cheaper and as a sure backup behind Lowry so there are no playing time issues. Barea is a bit too ball-dominant for me. If he and Lowry are controlling the ball for 48 minutes, how are Gay, Demar, Ross and our bigs going to stay involved and in rhythm?
    Here's the easiest, fairest and most realistic (I think) straight-up Tor/Min trade I can think of: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ao5th5h

    Minnesota upgrades their backup PF position, gets a starting SG (they've been playing PGs in that spot since Roy went down with injury) and gets to keep their primary trade chips (Williams & Pekovic).

    Toronto gets a solid backup PG, unloads Bargnani's contract and clears the logjam at the wing positions. 1.5 years of Roy's $5M contract is much easier to deal with than Bargnani's contract, especially if/when Kleiza's $4.5M salary is amnestied in the offseason - or they could get lucky and Roy could simply retire. Plus, Toronto saves $1.75M this season (pro-rated, of course).


    Another option would be to do this as part of a 3-way trade with Minny & Lakers, with Bargnani going to LA and Gasol going to Minny.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Feb 1st, 2013 at 12:34 PM.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Go with Uzoh has been here already. knows at least some of our rooks played well in D League too and summer league at least has a gist of coach Casey's system.

    I want no part of Fischer or Bibby...

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Allen Iverson is The Answer
    (Sorry for poor English )

  17. #17
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote japetas wrote: View Post
    Allen Iverson is The Answer
    To a question Toronto will never ask.

  18. #18

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote japetas wrote: View Post
    Allen Iverson is The Answer
    Besides Allen comes off the bench for no one.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,615
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote [email protected] wrote: View Post
    Why would the Clippers go for this exactly?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •