At last, Reggie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At last, Reggie!

Just read Holly MacKenzie’s piece “We’re talking with Reggie: Too good to edit”. I have to say, there’s no question that Reggie Evans is the real deal. A lot of players, maybe even most, would not have been so tight with the team for all this time, on the sidelines, always smiling, always encouraging, always involved ... always Reggie. Really, it’s amazing how much a part of the team he already is, without even playing one second of a regular season game out on the floor. The influence a guy like that can have on the team - and that really, he’s already likely had - is hard to quantify, but one thing for sure, it’s nothing but positive. The Raps have probably been a better team already, just having him there on the sidelines, but it’s easy to figure that with him available to play for the few minutes or whatever he’ll get Wednesday - it sounds like - he’ll bring everything that Colangelo wanted when he made the deal to get him. I’m glad he’s on the team and I’m kind of excited - for us and for him - to know that he’s about to get out there and do what he does. At last. Go get ‘em, Reggie!

http://blogs.thescore.com/nba/author/hollymackenzie/

"- What are the chances of playing on Wednesday against the Sixers?: “The chances could be good. Hopefully I could be ready by 7:30, 7:30 on Wednesday.”

- Well, the game starts at 7: “That’s good news. Because if I get in it will be 7:30. Do the math.”

LMAO

Comment

It will be nice to see Reggie finally take the court. I just hope people get real. Reggie is a role player, a strong rebounder who can be mean on defense. When he's on the court he's not going to contribute anything to the offense. You'll never see him get boxed on on the defensive glass though, this is for sure.

Comment

I'm getting very confused here. In the off-season, Reggie was advertised as a strong rebounder with poor defensive ability and no offensive ability, relying only on hustle to get his game going. Why is it that recently everyone thinks he's going to be a good defender? Did I miss something?

And yes, his "team-first" attitude is a huge plus. The fact that he's always with the team shows that he only wants to contribute.

Comment

He's not a poor defender, he's an average defender. I called him a mean defender, not a good defender. Big difference. Watch the Kaman video on Youtube.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
            I'm getting very confused here. In the off-season, Reggie was advertised as a strong rebounder with poor defensive ability and no offensive ability, relying only on hustle to get his game going. Why is it that recently everyone thinks he's going to be a good defender? Did I miss something?
            I've never heard that he was a poor defender. He's known widely around the league as a rebounder and defender with limited offensive skills. Similar to a Rodman or Ben Wallace.

If you heard any of the players in interviews during the pre-season and training camp, they all spoke of how infectious his work ethic and attitude was and how just playing with him in practice made guys like Andrea and Amir work harder on the glass and on defense. Anyone that can help a team just by being around them and getting in their face during practice is a good guy to have on your team.

Comment

I love Reggie cuz he has one thing on the brain "GET DA BALL".

He is not an intellect like Bosh (see Reggies interview from...well...anytime) and has no finesse like Bargs.

He's just a lunchpail kinda guy that goes after the ball...even from his own teammates.

I cant wait! We havnt had this since JYD and it compliments our other players to a "T" .
              http://www.raptorman.ca/
              raptorman@rogers.com
              Discounted Raptor Tickets
              *No Service Charges*

Comment

Raptorman wrote: View Post
                I cant wait! We havnt had this since JYD and it compliments our other players to a "T" .
                He's also very similar to a Charles Oakley type of player, and both JYD and Oak are considered two of the best players we've had here in Toronto because of the hustle and grittiness that they brought to every game they played in. Hopefully Reggie lives up to the expectations that everyone has of him. We need an enforcer and a player that isn't afraid to get dirty and mix it up.

Comment

For those of you who forgot, Reggie Evans will wear No. 30 when he takes to the court against Philadelphia on Wednesday.

And that, friends, is not a number steeped in Raptors lore.

In fact, only two players before have worn it and they couldn’t be more disparate in personality, talent and contribution.

Dell Curry, one of the classiest, grown up, accomplished Raptors of all time wore No. 30 in his three seasons and 194 games.

Oh, and Oliver Miller wore it, too.
                  Doug Smith's Blog

Anyone else find it fitting that Reggie is making his Raptors debut against the 76ers?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Anyone else find it fitting that Reggie is making his Raptors debut against the 76ers?
                    It's fitting but not surprising seeing as Jay believes that players tend to play with extra passion when they play against their old teams. I'm sure that Reggie is so pumped up to be able to get back in and play but add the fact that he gets to take it to his old team must make him extra excited.

I was at the exhibition game in London when the Raps played the "host team" 76ers (no idea why a team from Philly would be a host team over one that is an hour and a half away) and Reggie was on fire the first 10 minutes of the game. He had 8 points (a dunk and 2 and-ones), a bunch of rebounds, a couple of steals and drew a charge. The crowd was chanting "Reggie! Reggie! Reggie!" within a few minutes of the game starting. I think he was pretty pumped to play the Sixers at the start of the season and he will no doubt be just as excited to play them tonight.

Comment

The guy has averaged 0.2 blocks and 4.6 rebs in his career on 14.4mins !! He's not going to do anything to get the Raps over the Hump from a good team to an eltite team in the league wake up people .
                      "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

rdiaz101 wrote: View Post
                        The guy has averaged 0.2 blocks and 4.6 rebs in his career on 14.4mins !! He's not going to do anything to get the Raps over the Hump from a good team to an eltite team in the league wake up people .
                        His stats are decent for only playing 14 mins per game, but everyone says it's the intangibles that he brings to a team that make him so valuable. He has a great work ethic and demeanor that is infectious. Because he only averages 0.2 blocks a game doesn't mean that he can't defend, it just means that he doesn't block shots. Let's see how he plays with this team. Who knows, he could end up playing 25 or more mins a game and grabbing 8-10 boards a game. Different teams use players in different ways and some players prosper on certain teams. Maybe this is a great fit for him, maybe not, time will tell.

Comment

rdiaz101 wrote: View Post
                          Um, NBA.com has him averaging 4.3 points and 6.9 rebounds in 19.6 mpg for his career. Your stats come from his last season in Philly. But you're right, we don't become an elite team with Reggie. But it does give us another guy to use to counter match-ups, and that added flexibility is similar to a mid-season acquisition.

Comment

Most importantly Reggie's toughness will be VERY key if/when we play Boston in the playoffs.

Comment

JibbaJabba34 wrote: View Post
                              His stats are decent for only playing 14 mins per game, but everyone says it's the intangibles that he brings to a team that make him so valuable. He has a great work ethic and demeanor that is infectious. Because he only averages 0.2 blocks a game doesn't mean that he can't defend, it just means that he doesn't block shots. Let's see how he plays with this team. Who knows, he could end up playing 25 or more mins a game and grabbing 8-10 boards a game. Different teams use players in different ways and some players prosper on certain teams. Maybe this is a great fit for him, maybe not, time will tell.
                              People in Toronto appreciate their blue collar players. When Reggie enters a game he gives you everything he has even if its not as much talent as Bosh has in his pinkie. He will bring high energy to the court. He's scrappy. The Rockets are getting it done in the West with a bunch of scrappy guys and neither one of them is flashy or exceptionally talented.

Comment

Working...
                              X