Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Amir Johnson - legit starting PF?

Raptors Republic Starter Mindlessness's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think he is the 1st big off the bench, but plays just a bit less than a starter, 25-30 mins? Right now though, I would look at getting a partner for JV to have in the paint, or our future PF, as well as looking at a backup PG bcuz Lucas can't stay like this forever...

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

simple answer Yes... amir is a Legit Starting PF... but hes no were near an elite starting PF

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, how 'bout JJ Hickson? We hear a lot about the big names like Gasol, Jefferson West, Smith and Millsap, but I think he would be a great fit as our starting power forward. He's a free agent this summer.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    simple answer Yes... amir is a Legit Starting PF... but hes no were near an elite starting PF
    Thats true but idk if we need an elite PF at this stage. I think we roll with amir and try and move bargs for a backup pg and pf. If the opportunity presents itself, then we should trade for an elite PF but we shouldn't make it a priority.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Thats true but idk if we need an elite PF at this stage. I think we roll with amir and try and move bargs for a backup pg and pf. If the opportunity presents itself, then we should trade for an elite PF but we shouldn't make it a priority.
    +1. Amir has earned it too with his solid play, numbers definitely back it up. He's playing like an elite one that's for sure.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Hey guys, how 'bout JJ Hickson? We hear a lot about the big names like Gasol, Jefferson West, Smith and Millsap, but I think he would be a great fit as our starting power forward. He's a free agent this summer.
    A guy like HIckson scares the shit out of me. No meeting his potential for years. Finally starts to last year in a contract year. Signs a modest contract with a player option and blows up. Scary, scary shit right there.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    A guy like HIckson scares the shit out of me. No meeting his potential for years. Finally starts to last year in a contract year. Signs a modest contract with a player option and blows up. Scary, scary shit right there.
    I remember a situation we had like that... Jose Calderon. Oh wait, Jose is playing amazing once again, in his contract year..

Scary, scary shit man..

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Jose is playing amazing once again, in his contract year..
    Yup, that wasn't a coincidence. It's something not many people talked about when attempting to argue that trading him was a bad idea.

CONTRACT YEAR people!!!
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Contract Year players scare the sh!t out of me to.. can't fall into that Hedo trap again (although who other than Bryan didn't see that coming a mile away)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Why can't Amir be are starting PF?
    Amir's biggest issue is consistency. Although he has been better in the last couple of months, historically he has too many "off" nights.

Raptors Republic Rookie respectdmadman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Amir's biggest issue is consistency.
    Have to agree with that, Amir can have great nights but he just can't sustain starter quality minutes with his production. Sac-Town is in a bit of a powerforeward problem, they've got like 6. They're probably gonna have to trade somebody and someone like T.Rob or Jason Thompson are just as likely a candidate as DMC, though i think there is no way for toronto to land DMC.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I cant believe im saying this but im kinda excited to see what Bargnani will be able to do with the 2nd unit tomorrow night. What the 2nd unit sorely lacks is a scorer, so if Bargnani is put in a situation where his only job is to score, it might do wonders for the team.

Lucas/Ross/Fields/Bargnani/Gray. 3 defenders, 2 scorers. 2 rebounders. Looks solid.

Oh sorry, to answer the question, no, i dont think Amir is a legit starter. He can fill in at times, but not as a regular starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    I cant believe im saying this but im kinda excited to see what Bargnani will be able to do with the 2nd unit tomorrow night. What the 2nd unit sorely lacks is a scorer, so if Bargnani is put in a situation where his only job is to score, it might do wonders for the team.

Lucas/Ross/Fields/Bargnani/Gray. 3 defenders, 2 scorers. 2 rebounders. Looks solid.

Oh sorry, to answer the question, no, i dont think Amir is a legit starter. He can fill in at times, but not as a regular starter.
    Noooooooo!!!! Bargnani's sole purpose is to play well to improve his trade value. That's it.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What about Kenyon Martin? He's a FA and we need a veteran big

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Give Bargs a chance to if he fails then johnson gets the job. I don't think h'll be a great PF, but h'll get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Noooooooo!!!! Bargnani's sole purpose is to play well to improve his trade value. That's it.
    hahahaha im just curious to see if he can give the 2nd unit a lift. maybe he'll accept within himself that he really cant be a starter and cant do any better than an off the bench guy.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    But this year he's shown he can hit that long jump shot. As long as he's given the five seconds he needs to get it off.
    Amir makes 35% of his field goal attempts from 16-23 feet; the same percentage as last year.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Amir%20Johnson

Considering these are mostly uncontested shots and teams are still giving him that wide open look, I'd say he has not shown the ability to hit that shot.

I wish there was a site that would show the breakdowns for wide open, open, contested, and strongly contested but I have to find any.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Amir makes 35% of his field goal attempts from 16-23 feet; the same percentage as last year.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Amir%20Johnson

Considering these are mostly uncontested shots and teams are still giving him that wide open look, I'd say he has not shown the ability to hit that shot.

I wish there was a site that would show the breakdowns for wide open, open, contested, and strongly contested but I have to find any.
    I also don't want Amir starting and taking those shots. If that's what we're counting on him to do, we may as well start Bargnani; at least teams defend and gameplan against him, opening up the court for other players. The biggest problem with Amir (and Gray) starting, is that he doesn't demand the respect/attention from opposing teams, allowing them to double-team Gay/DeRozan/Lowry more often. I want an upgraded starting PF who will play in the low post, back to the basket, drawing the occasional double-teams (ie: a traditional PF). I am happy to keep Amir as a backup PF, but not as the team's long-term starter, especially if he tries to become a mid/long-range jumpshooter - we have more than enough of those!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I want an upgraded starting PF who will play in the low post, back to the basket, drawing the occasional double-teams (ie: a traditional PF).
    Gasol fits this description quite nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Gasol fits this description quite nicely.
    How about Kevin Love? hahahha

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information