Amir Johnson - legit starting PF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amir Johnson - legit starting PF?

Why can't Amir be are starting PF? With the acquisition of Rudy Gay I feel like he would be the better fit. It's been obvious that the Raptors are a perimeter team and even more so now. With Rudy Gay as the number 1 option than Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan as 2 and 3 or the other way around. It's obvious we don't need anymore ppl that can take up more shoots. People on this forum have said that we just need a PF that defends and rebounds. Well that's Amir Johnson. His easily are best defender on are team. His easily one of the hardest working players on the team. He does everything else everybody won't do. Plays through injury, gets on the floor and runs the floor. With his and JV's length they can really disturb shoots at the rim. They would probably be the fastest big tandem. Oh yeah his 25 years old.

As a starter 15 Pts, 10(3.4 Off) Rebs, 2.1 Ast, 1.9 Blk, 1.2 Stl .542 FG .743 FT
    Last edited by Arsenalist; Sat Feb 2, 2013, 12:45 AM. Reason: Clear title
    @Chr1st1anL

People question his ability to stay on the floor because of his fouling. I do agree he's pretty awesome when he can stay out of foul trouble.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Why can't Amir be are starting PF? With the acquisition of Rudy Gay I feel like he would be the better fit. It's been obvious that the Raptors are a perimeter team and even more so now. With Rudy Gay as the number 1 option than Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan as 2 and 3 or the other way around. It's obvious we don't need anymore ppl that can take up more shoots. People on this forum have said that we just need a PF that defends and rebounds. Well that's Amir Johnson. His easily are best defender on are team. His easily one of the hardest working players on the team. He does everything else everybody won't do. Plays through injury, gets on the floor and runs the floor. With his and JV's length they can really disturb shoots at the rim. They would probably be the fastest big tandem. Oh yeah his 25 years old.

As a starter 15 Pts, 10(3.4 Off) Rebs, 2.1 Ast, 1.9 Blk, 1.2 Stl .542 FG .743 FT
      This is what I've been trying to get with my defense of not trading Derozan as well. Giving Amir the spot as our power forward for the future. He's improved, and he's going to get better with his hard work, and work ethic. A guy that'll get garbage buckets, rebounds, defends, and is a true defensive anchor. Fits better because he can also somewhat stretch the defense with his very much improved, and almost automatic - 365 days long - mid-range jumper.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I think Amir is capable. But if the goal is to win a championship then they need to upgrade the 4 spot.

A lineup of JV, Amir, Gay, DeRozan, Lowry to me though is a dangerous playoff team but not a championship team.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

spacing.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            Why can't Amir be are starting PF?

Amir Johnson is a fantastic asset to have. He can start in a pinch, but the role he is most suited to is 20 - 30 minutes of high energy in both the 4 and 5 spot. Since you can't trust him not to foul out and there is a 8 year track record of this, you need a more reliable consistent threat at the 4. If Amir could become more automatic from mid range and control the fouls he becomes a starter. But Amir has peaked...there is nothing wrong with where he has peaked 1st big off the bench at 6 million is not necessarily an overpay if he gets close to 30 minutes.
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Not only that when you have people capable of starting on your bench you take the leap from first round knock out to potential third round miami fodder and beyond.
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                I think Amir is capable. But if the goal is to win a championship then they need to upgrade the 4 spot.

A lineup of JV, Amir, Gay, DeRozan, Lowry to me though is a dangerous playoff team but not a championship team.
                Agreed, but that's with assuming JV is still the rookie he is. Terrence Ross is still the rookie he is. Without a back-up point guard.

Experience and development for Ross & JV will be huge, because in the future those 2 will likely be holding large roles. JV before the Gay acquisition was expected to be our star for the future. JV might become a true defensive anchor, and our low post guy. Potential to be a 15+ points, 10+ rebounds a night guy.

Ross whether starting, or coming off the bench in the future, - if develops right - can be a true, all-star wing with his ability to score, and ability to defend so early in these stages of his young pro career.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I have HIGH expectations for JV and TR, specially JV. This is why i like the Gay deal so much. Raptors are getting a young all-star caliber, franchise player in Gay. And if JV and TR develop properly and live up to the expectations then this team imo has a chance to be something special.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

If the choice is between Amir and Bargnani, Amir is a no-brainer.

Comment

Amir can start for now but he has to be that guy off the bench again providing energy, however that long 2 he takes is annoying and his failure to grip good passes and put up 2 points at times really pisses me off. Amir stop using so much lotion on your hands pre game!

Comment

Hollinger

Scouting report
                        + Long big man who is a very effective finisher at the basket. Good shot-blocker.
                        + Foul-prone due to lack of strength and high base. Illegal screens a problem.
                        + Can make midrange set shot. Little post game or ball skills. Good rebounder.

Analysis
                        The Raptors' renewed focus on defense was perhaps most apparent with Johnson, who was dramatically more effective at that end than in previous seasons. While he still occasionally gets pummeled in physical matchups, Johnson rated among the top quarter of centers, according to Synergy, and the Raptors gave up 3.2 points per 100 possessions fewer with him on the court, according to 82games.com.

Johnson still fouls too much -- nearly once every seven minutes last season -- but he had strong rates of blocks and rebounds, especially for a power forward. (He was often forced to play center last season.)

Offensively, his numbers dropped off a bit, but he remains a potent finisher (72.4 percent in the basket area). His biggest problem now is his penchant for illegal screens on high screen-and-rolls, which caused his turnover ratio to nearly double from the season before. Johnson's slow-release push shot from midrange wasn't quite as accurate as the previous season, either, but overall he posted his fourth straight season with a true shooting percentage greater than 60 -- an impressive accomplishment.

Given that efficiency, he doesn't need to provide that much defense to be a worthwhile player. He has the chops to provide it as a full-time 4 this season, so if he can just cut out the illegal screens, he'll have a lot of value.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                          I have HIGH expectations for JV and TR, specially JV. This is why i like the Gay deal so much. Raptors are getting a young all-star caliber, franchise player in Gay. And if JV and TR develop properly and live up to the expectations then this team imo has a chance to be something special.
                          We can't afford uber slow development times like DeRozan. We need Ross and Jonas to take significant steps forward next year.

If the goal is to build around the foursome of Lowry, Gay, Ross, and Jonas, we need to see how these guys play together soon. Next year is Lowry's contract year, and a decision will need to be made to extend him, or go in a different direction.

Comment

I don't mind him coming off the bench, as long as he gets 30 minutes, him starting is not a big deal. The first few minutes of games can be aggressive, guys need to get the blood flowing, everyone is fresh end everyone is giving 110%(sorry for the cliche and bad math), then things settle down, and the players and refs get used to the flow.

It's just a way to avoid those quick 2 fouls, that always seem to hurt us with Amir.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                              spacing.
                              +1

Comment

Working...
                              X