View Poll Results: Should the Raptors trade for Gasol given the opportunity?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 66.67%
  • No

16 33.33%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Have we entered an alternate universe? Are the Raptors buyers?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hearing it could just be Bargs and either Anderson or FIELDS for Pau. The Lakers are still a bit of a mess and Pau and D'Antoni are getting openly chippy towards each other. Given his contract there really aren't too many trading partners out there. Maybe BC can work some of that old magic again and get a plus for 2 minuses.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hyperdouche wrote: View Post
    I'm hearing it could just be Bargs and either Anderson or FIELDS for Pau. The Lakers are still a bit of a mess and Pau and D'Antoni are getting openly chippy towards each other. Given his contract there really aren't too many trading partners out there. Maybe BC can work some of that old magic again and get a plus for 2 minuses.
    Bargs and Anderson alone won't work under CBA. Raps need to send out at least $14M in salary.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    I voted yes on this poll because since we now have Rudy Gay, we may as well go for whatever glory is attainable. Rebuilding is over, it's time to win soon and Gasol can help us get to the promised land that is the 8th seed. Do it, but with what assets? We arguably traded our best asset in Davis, and it's upto Bargnani to fetch value. I don't think he has any, which means picks must be traded!
    Only picks Raps can trade are 2nd rd picks.... thank goodness.

2014 - TOR and SAC
    2015 - TOR
    2017 - TOR
    etc.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think we need pau for this team to make the next step. I'd instead rather ease up on the spending and go after a gortat for bargs. It's team needed a low post option that can. Big with the big boys. With pau and his injury problems Ni just don't think we can do this move. Gortat appears to be becoming available and would fill the role nicely for much cheaper.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote c_bcm wrote: View Post
    Don't think we need pau for this team to make the next step. I'd instead rather ease up on the spending and go after a gortat for bargs. It's team needed a low post option that can. Big with the big boys. With pau and his injury problems Ni just don't think we can do this move. Gortat appears to be becoming available and would fill the role nicely for much cheaper.
    that def. is an option id explore at the very least

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gortat is much too valuable, imo. Though I would love to have him!
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid iPad. This makes me look mildly retarded, or maybe stroking out. ***.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Stupid iPad. This makes me look mildly retarded, or maybe stroking out. ***.
    That's just being an average Raptors fan; we've all used the mobile/iPad-excuse. No need for that here, you're amongst your peers here.

Raptors Republic Superstar FoxMachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

watching NBA TV and writer says that Rudy Gay's "real" best friend in the league is rajon rondo and he thinks that rajon will convince Gay to go to boston when they've cleared cap space in a couple years

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Or Gay convinces Rondo to come to Toronto once the train wreck that is Boston comes to a stop in two years time.

Raptors Republic Superstar FoxMachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

could be a smoke screen but it sounds like the Lakers wont be making any trades before the deadline.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...-trade-howard/

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote FoxMachine wrote: View Post
    could be a smoke screen but it sounds like the Lakers wont be making any trades before the deadline.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...-trade-howard/
    I think smokescreen, and not just because I want Gasol. Something about them has looked off since the start of the season. Maybe they don't trade Gasol, they just try to get a couple of cheap wings who can fit what they're doing. Although the quotes do just mention they won't trade principal players. This could mean they will make small deals. It could also be interpreted as if they trade Gasol, they simply don't view him as a principal player going forward.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is set in stone I think them affirming they wont make a move is kind of like Memphis saying they wouldnt and look what happened. Anything can happen and no doubt desperation will build for LA when deadline comes up, LAL is an old team they have to reaalize Kobe is great but he cant do it on his own anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

To the original post, Toronto isn't a small market, the organization can definitely spend the money. Only real problem was attracting ANYONE to spend that money on, and that's why you see guys overpaid, especially on this franchise - Turkoglu, Bargnani, Calderon, Kapono, Fields, Derozan, Kleiza.

This is probably obvious to the everyday'ers.

Post Thanks / Like

More trade deadline rumours. Source really needs to be taken with a grain of salt. HoopsWorld.com has been dreadful with their rumors and 'calls' of late:

Toronto Wants More: The Toronto Raptors got their star in Rudy Gay two weeks ago with their trade with Memphis. With five games under his belt, Gay is paying huge dividends. He is averaging a career best 23.4 points per game and won three of the five games he’s played in. The Raptors, however, are not finished dealing.

Toronto had been linked to Chicago’s Carlos Boozer; however, Bulls’ sources downplayed that report as Toronto calling and not much more.

The Raptors are trying to offload Andrea Bargnani, who has returned from injury and has played surprisingly well.

The Raptors are looking for some serious frontcourt help, but may find the market a little bare, especially with Bargnani has the primary chip in a deal. Raptors sources peg Milwaukee’s Ilyasova as a target; however, it’s unclear how that would work with Rudy Gay now in tow.

Raptors president Bryan Colangelo repeatedly says his club is willing to take on more salary to improve the team, so it will be interesting to see what Toronto can do over the next ten days. They seem more than willing to make a deal, especially if it moves off Bargnani.

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-dea...vG244wbFHDu.99
    Funny how the Chicago Tribune pegged it as the Bulls calling Toronto. But whatever, it is HoopsWorld.com.

Utah Is On The Clock: If you are expecting to know what Utah is going to do before they do it, you are not paying attention.

The Jazz are one of the few remaining teams in the NBA that keep trade discussions confined to a small circle of three or four people, and typically they are not engaged in anything until they are ready to move.

With ten days left to make a deal, the Jazz are clearly on the clock with pending free agents Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap.

The word is that if the Jazz are paying a free agent $10 million or more, it’s Millsap who’d they’d give the money to. There is also a sense that if Millsap wants to leave, leaving via a sign-and-trade is more likely than Jefferson.

So the smart money says Jefferson is the odd man out in Utah and that he is most likely to be traded before the deadline.

That said, the Jazz still don’t seem to be close to anything. There had been reports of a possible deal with San Antonio, and that still remains a possibility, although San Antonio doesn’t have much to offer that they would part with.

Jefferson could be an interesting addition to Toronto, but it’s unlikely that Utah takes back Andrea Bargnani; although league sources say anyone willing to take Raja Bell off their hands might get more consideration.

The line from Utah has been fairly consistent all season; making a deal involving their free agents isn’t a priority as long as they were in the playoff discussions and at 28-24 the Jazz currently hold the seventh seed in the west.

It won’t be surprising to see Utah hold firm and let offseason business take care of itself, especially if they can make a postseason push, that seems to be more important to the Jazz than anything they are being offered.

Things are constantly in flux this close to the deadline, but if what other teams are saying about Utah is true, the Jazz may not make a bad deal just to make one, they might actually just ride this team into the playoffs and see what happens from there.

Interesting that all the other 'sources' are claiming Millsap is the one leaving.

Milwaukee Has A Move To Make: The Bucks have two names that fans love to talk about – Brandon Jennings and Monta Ellis – the problem is both of those guys are likely staying where they are come deadline day two Thursdays from now.

The Bucks are however trying to find a home for Samuel Dalembert and Drew Gooden. Neither are overly sexy acquisitions, especially with Gooden owed some $13.3 million over the next two seasons, but those are the two names most linked to Milwaukee.

There is a third, albeit more expensive one, and that’s Ersan Ilyasova. The Bucks signed Ilyasova to a four-year $40 million deal this past offseason and have not gotten nearly the production out of him as they expected. Ilyasova has market value; both the Raptors and the Nets have made overtures for him. However, it does not look like either is eager to pay a premium to the Bucks for their troubles.

If there is a dark horse play at the deadline it might be Ilyasova, especially if Toronto and Brooklyn swing and miss on other options.

Milwaukee is active in the marketplace, so you can expect them to be involved in something next week. They have several ending contracts and a desire to bolster their team for a second half-push.

Ilyasova actually signed a 5 year deal, but who cares about details.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No thanks to Ilysova. A contract year wonder, who doesn't have much post-up game.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    More trade deadline rumours. Source really needs to be taken with a grain of salt. HoopsWorld.com has been dreadful with their rumors and 'calls' of late:
    Some pretty random rumors. It is funny that they said Chicago called us, because I think I've even read some non-Toronto writers suggest Chicago made the first calls...

Anyway, the only one I'd consider there is Ilyasova, but that's not to say I'd for sure pull the trigger. It would be hard not to if the option were there though. He'd bring much the same things as Bargs, but with better D and rebound (and worse scoring talent). i don't understand why the article mentioned the Gay trade affecting things...I never understood why people consider Ilyasova a SF...he's very very clearly a stretch 4 who has only been forced to play SF on the Bucks at times because of how their roster has been built the last few years. In terms of talent, and cost, I'm ok with him....it's just the length that's worrying...still, I would rather pay him less and longer, than go for a guy like Boozer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    No thanks to Ilysova. A contract year wonder, who doesn't have much post-up game.
    But in the long term, JV is our post player. Any post player we acquire could only be a short term deal like Gortat or Gasol. Anything longer will just shift focus away from developing JV. What we need is a stretch 4, because that's likely what we're losing...just preferably one who rebounds, which Ilyasova does, at least better than Bargs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

Funny how the Chicago Tribune pegged it as the Bulls calling Toronto. But whatever, it is HoopsWorld.com.

Interesting that all the other 'sources' are claiming Millsap is the one leaving.

Ilyasova actually signed a 5 year deal, but who cares about details.
    I've also seen conflicting reports about Utah. The majority of what I've read seems to indicate that Jefferson is more likely to stay, with Millsap being traded. In order for both teams involved to maximize their return, I expect Utah to keep Millsap this season and then look to S&T him.

I still can't help but think that a DeRozan for Millsap S&T (meaning Millsap has voluntarily committed to Toronto) would be great for both teams. Utah is desperate for a wing upgrade and Millsap would be a great fit with Gay/Lowry/Valanciunas. Johnson would be a solid backup, forming a 3-headed big rotation with Millsap & JV. Fields (glue guy - defense, rebounding) & Ross (scoring) could fight for the starting SG spot (I like the balance that Fields brings to the improved starting lineup). Bargnani would then become even more expendable, with a backup PG and young wing player being the key needs to fill via trade.

As for the Bargnani rumors...

Boozer - no thanks

Ilyasova - no thanks

Gasol - I'm torn, but leaning towards no

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    But in the long term, JV is our post player. Any post player we acquire could only be a short term deal like Gortat or Gasol. Anything longer will just shift focus away from developing JV. What we need is a stretch 4, because that's likely what we're losing...just preferably one who rebounds, which Ilyasova does, at least better than Bargs.
    I'm not sure if Jonas will ever be the type of player who automatically attracts doubles in the post. Guys like Jefferson and Boozer do (I'm not saying I like Boozer's contract, but his offensive skillset is what I'd want in a PF....ideally).

Ilyasova, as mentioned, seems more of a SF....who doesn't exactly fill a need.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information