No announcement yet.

Do you BELIEVE? Raptor playoff push

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want the Raps to just miss. I don't see how getting swept by Miami and not giving up our pick in this weaker draft class would benefit us in the long run.

That said, I still think there's a small chance they make it.

Comment

Mal wrote: View Post
      I want the Raps to just miss. I don't see how getting swept by Miami and not giving up our pick in this weaker draft class would benefit us in the long run.

That said, I still think there's a small chance they make it.
      That would be ideal if Raptors are going to be a lottery team at some point in the next few seasons.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        That would be ideal if Raptors are going to be a lottery team at some point in the next few seasons.
        "My motto: fuck lotto, ill get the seven digits from your mother for a dollar tomorrow"

Comment

I think the Gay trade changes the logic in hoping for a near miss. This is going to be a playoff team next year, and the year after. Might as well get an extra asset now. In a worst-case scenario (nobody we like left to draft), we can send the pick to OKC on draft night for our future pick. I'm sure they'd be down with that, it would be a relatively high draft pick for them. In a best case scenario, somebody good falls to us, or we package the pick as part of a bigger draft night trade.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
            I think the Gay trade changes the logic in hoping for a near miss. This is going to be a playoff team next year, and the year after. Might as well get an extra asset now. In a worst-case scenario (nobody we like left to draft), we can send the pick to OKC on draft night for our future pick. I'm sure they'd be down with that, it would be a relatively high draft pick for them. In a best case scenario, somebody good falls to us, or we package the pick as part of a bigger draft night trade.
            Why would OKC do that? The pick is lottery guaranteed for the next 4 or 5 years, so OKC is more likely to sit and wait for Toronto to slip out of the play-offs and into a good lottery pick than to trade it back for what is guaranteed to not be in the lottery (if this is a trade being discussed, then obviously at that point we have made the play-offs and are talking about a pick in 15-17 range).
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Odds are inching upwards: http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

25.4% according to Hollinger's formula.

Comment

I think at this point, with the way the team is playing, its a very realistic possibility.
                However, its also pretty common for a team to a see a post-trade boost; but this seems like more than that. Everyone seems to now believe they can beat anyone. Amazing what one player can do, eh?

Comment

I want to see how our team reacts when Memphis puts down the clamps defensively. Usually we choke. I wonder how the Raps 2.0 will deal with it.
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    I think at this point, with the way the team is playing, its a very realistic possibility.
                    However, its also pretty common for a team to a see a post-trade boost; but this seems like more than that. Everyone seems to now believe they can beat anyone. Amazing what one player can do, eh?
                    The games against the Bucks will be crucial.

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard

Josh Smith would like to play w/Monte Ellis & Brandon Jennings so Bucks trying to make trade w/out giving up Ellis.
                    Interesting.

Comment

Jennings, Ellis, AND Smith? Wow, that would hurt the Raptors playoff hopes

Comment

The games against the Bucks will be crucial.

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard

Josh Smith would like to play w/Monte Ellis & Brandon Jennings so Bucks trying to make trade w/out giving up Ellis.
                        Interesting.
                        Agreed about the Bucks. We need them to suck for the next little bit, while we get caught up.

And about JSmoove, I also just read an article that said the Hawks are unlikely to trade Smith before the summer.
                        Gotta love Trade Deadline media coverage! Haha
                        Last edited by Joey; Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                          Jennings, Ellis, AND Smith? Wow, that would hurt the Raptors playoff hopes
                          How about Raptors profit from it:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=av65s65

Atlanta: Bargnani, Larry Sanders, Fields
                          Toronto: Ilyasova, Udrih
                          Millwaukee: Josh Smith, Pachulia, Anderson

I think Atlanta is getting a good package for Smith and Pachulia,
                          and Milwaukee gets to keep both Ellis + Jennings
                          And Toronto does this for the most obvious reasons.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                            How about Raptors profit from it:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=av65s65

Atlanta: Bargnani, Larry Sanders, Fields
                            Toronto: Ilyasova, Udrih
                            Millwaukee: Josh Smith, Pachulia, Anderson

I think Atlanta is getting a good package for Smith and Pachulia,
                            and Milwaukee gets to keep both Ellis + Jennings
                            And Toronto does this for the most obvious reasons.
                            There is no way they trade Sanders.... even for Smith. Sanders is turning in to a very rare commodity.

Comment

There is no way they trade Sanders.... even for Smith. Sanders is turning in to a very rare commodity.
                              Well Sanders is what the Hawks would look for, and the Bucks have to give up SOMETHING of value in order to keep Ellis-Jennings-Smith, I think only for the opportunity to have that core, would the Bucks pull it.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                                Well Sanders is what the Hawks would look for, and the Bucks have to give up SOMETHING of value in order to keep Ellis-Jennings-Smith, I think only for the opportunity to have that core, would the Bucks pull it.
                                According to Marc Stein this morning, Atlanta wants Ellis & at least 1 big expiring contract (for Milwauke to get more contracts dumped on them). I think the Bucks are in a tough spot, trying to balance what Smith wants (in order to increase odds he stays) and what Atlanta wants (to make a Smith trade), with Ellis being the lynchpin. Personally, if I were Milwaukee, I'd trade Ellis to Atlanta - a lineup of Sanders, Smith, Ilyasova and Jennings, with Henson in reserve, is pretty decent.

Stein says Atlanta wants expiring deals and picks for Smith.

I get the feeling that Smith is one of those 'first domino' type players, that is holding up other potential deals. The next day+ should be exciting for NBA fans!

Comment

Working...
                                X