No announcement yet.

Game-Time: Raptors vs. Heat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I remember hearing Jack wondering when Lowry and Amir were going to come back in. I kept thinking, hold on dude, the 2nd unit is grinding with them good, and they were, it wasn't about the scoring, they were playing good D. Staying within 2-5 points in the dying minutes of the 3rd.

However once Gay was off the floor, Lowry and the gang could not find any offense.

I also remember being in Awe by Wade's and Jame's game, thinking wow, these guys are too good, I was actually surprised we kept up with them. They looked PO ready last night. There was little you could improve in how the big 3 played last night. They were just money.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Mon Feb 4, 2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Lowry and Johnson went stone cold as a result of sitting on the bench for the extended duration of the 3rd and 4th.

TSN commentary mentioned that Casey was attempting to keep a tight rotation to keep the most talented players on the floor.
      I think this was a mistake. When you tie a tight noose around the bench players on this team, they seem to choke.

I'm not saying that everyone should go 2-of-18 from the 3-point line like AA, but we have hit-or-miss players on our entire bench that need to hit, and miss. If they come off the bench and only miss, and you bench them before they hit? There goes the offense.

I state the obvious but it was the lack-of-talent that the Raptors have in their back court that lost the game.

Comment

• They both had 4 fouls, and Wade and James were aware of that and going at them hard all game. (maybe its why we looked so good early and why the steam ran out - just could not afford to play the same tight D)

It's a balancing act any way you look at it, this roster was pushed to its limits last night.
        Last edited by BasketballCrush; Mon Feb 4, 2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• My observations from the game:

1. lack of front court and PG depth were exposed - team played 4-on-5 with Gray on the floor and Lucas is a 3rd stringer

2. Landry Fields' defense, rebounding and offensive movement was sorely missed - he would have been so much more effective than Anderson (how/why did Anderson play 33 minutes, 3rd only to DeRozan & Gay???)

3. 'live or die by the jumpshot' is recipe for disaster, especially from the 2nd unit - Anderson/Lucas/Ross were a combined 3-17 (1-8 3pt) & entire team shot 37.3% / 22.2%

4. rookies are rookies - Valanciunas & Ross could be special, but that game was a reminder that the NBA learning curve is a steep and inconsistent process

Conclusions:

1. This team needs a significantly upgraded 2nd big; Valanciunas (rookie), Gray (backup/matchup C) and Acy (rookie/3rd string) will not cut it next to Johnson, especially given his tendancy to foul. For the short-term, even Bargnani would have been a huge improvement over Gray - at least the Heat would have respected/defended him!

2. This team needs a veteran, pass-first backup PG. Lucas is an insanely streaky shooter, who should not be counted on to contribute 12-16 MPG.

3. I fear BC already missed the 'trade at peak value' window for Anderson, but he needs to be traded. A wing rotation of Gay, DeRozan, Fields and Ross has the potential to be very good and very balanced.

Comment

• If we had the touted 8.7 career average points from Landry Fields in addition to his defensive poise, it would have been a much tighter game.

How many games has it been since Kleiza and Pietrus played? Why do we have so many pieces of unusable spare luggage?

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              My observations from the game:

1. lack of front court and PG depth were exposed - team played 4-on-5 with Gray on the floor and Lucas is a 3rd stringer

2. Landry Fields' defense, rebounding and offensive movement was sorely missed - he would have been so much more effective than Anderson (how/why did Anderson play 33 minutes, 3rd only to DeRozan & Gay???)

3. 'live or die by the jumpshot' is recipe for disaster, especially from the 2nd unit - Anderson/Lucas/Ross were a combined 3-17 (1-8 3pt) & entire team shot 37.3% / 22.2%

4. rookies are rookies - Valanciunas & Ross could be special, but that game was a reminder that the NBA learning curve is a steep and inconsistent process

Conclusions:

1. This team needs a significantly upgraded 2nd big; Valanciunas (rookie), Gray (backup/matchup C) and Acy (rookie/3rd string) will not cut it next to Johnson, especially given his tendancy to foul. For the short-term, even Bargnani would have been a huge improvement over Gray - at least the Heat would have respected/defended him!

2. This team needs a veteran, pass-first backup PG. Lucas is an insanely streaky shooter, who should not be counted on to contribute 12-16 MPG.

3. I fear BC already missed the 'trade at peak value' window for Anderson, but he needs to be traded. A wing rotation of Gay, DeRozan, Fields and Ross has the potential to be very good and very balanced.
              +1. I believe we have the same mind.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I totally forgot about Mass Murderer Kleiza. Why can't that dude stay fucking healthy? His scoring would be huge off the bench at that 4 spot. Jesus, he's the missing piece to all our bench problems

Comment

• I kinda feel bad for Alan Anderson ... dude worked his BUTT off to the point where he would have gotten a significant raise in the off-season if he kept playing the way he was, pre-Rudy Gay.. but now that Gay is here, Anderson is completely sh*tting the bed, to the point where any value he may have built-up is slowly rotting away.

Comment

• AA would be big for us off the bench if he was just consistent with his scoring. He takes too many contested 3's which pisses me off

Comment

• AA is ok when not playing 30+ minutes.. anything more then 20min. is tooo much

Comment

• DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                        AA is ok when not playing 30+ minutes.. anything more then 20min. is tooo much
                        Tru, then he starts his chuck fest and it begins raining bricks from all over the court

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          Tru, then he starts his chuck fest and it begins raining bricks from all over the court
                          AA needs to remember who he's on the floor with sometimes...when the 2nd unit is in the game AA has to score & make plays... when Kyle, Demar or Gay is on the floor with him he needs to take a back seat & do the little things like rebound & play D nothing more... I think AA is a decent player who trys to do WAY too much & some of that prob has to do with the fact he feels he needs seize the opportunity to make a name for himself, career D-League type players tend to do that to get noticed around the league..

Comment

• AA is putting a lot of pressure on himself to perform and maintain his stature on the team. He's been playing Bball for a long time and he doesn't have long to secure a contract that could establish some financial stability in his life, and for his family.

If AA can get back to his defensive efficiency and increase his offensive percentage, he's a valuable player. He's in a tough spot, being taken out of the spotlight and all.

Comment

• DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                              AA needs to remember who he's on the floor with sometimes...when the 2nd unit is in the game AA has to score & make plays... when Kyle, Demar or Gay is on the floor with him he needs to take a back seat & do the little things like rebound & play D nothing more... I think AA is a decent player who trys to do WAY too much & some of that prob has to do with the fact he feels he needs seize the opportunity to make a name for himself, career D-League type players tend to do that to get noticed around the league..
                              I don't think it's because of the D-League background. Lot's of D-League players tend not to do more than they are asked of, because they know, being on a minor contract, that they have a pretty short leash. In general they are pulled quicker and put on the end of the bench easily; certainly compared with big(ger) contract players. I think it has a lot to do with the first games when he came back from injury. He needed to take on a pretty big role at that moment and it helped us win some games.

I also think that, right now, we don't have a good system in place to deal with defensive pressure on our main guys which places someone like Anderson in the position where he doesn't know what to do except play 'hero-ball'. We need some good sets in those situations. Anderson and Lucas will still be asked to, at least, hit some threes to create room for others. And this will go well one game and go bad another; they can shoot it, but aren't very consistent and we'll have to live with that as long as they need to play those roles.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                                I don't think it's because of the D-League background. Lot's of D-League players tend not to do more than they are asked of, because they know, being on a minor contract, that they have a pretty short leash. In general they are pulled quicker and put on the end of the bench easily; certainly compared with big(ger) contract players. I think it has a lot to do with the first games when he came back from injury. He needed to take on a pretty big role at that moment and it helped us win some games.

I also think that, right now, we don't have a good system in place to deal with defensive pressure on our main guys which places someone like Anderson in the position where he doesn't know what to do except play 'hero-ball'. We need some good sets in those situations. Anderson and Lucas will still be asked to, at least, hit some threes to create room for others. And this will go well one game and go bad another; they can shoot it, but aren't very consistent and we'll have to live with that as long as they need to play those roles.
                                maybe saying career D-Leaguer wasnt the right choice of words but my point is hes taken a long road to get to the NBA & if you havent seen Raptors Open Court, AA said as much & that he really wants to sieze this opportunity to maybe get a long term deal & stick in the NBA, hes trying too hard & its effecting more then just his numbers. he needs to just play & take whats given to him rather then force his offence

Comment

Working...
                                X