Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Anyone else notice we can't rebound?

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    No it doesn't. JV is a much better prospect than Thompson. Its much more dfficult to find a good 2 way center with sound fundamentals than an athletic PF who can rebound.
    I strongly disagree.

    I would not be surprised if Tristan Thompson became the 2nd best player of the 2011 draft.

    Tristan is improving. Quickly.

    http://i.imgur.com/KQDRDsG.png
    Last edited by Hugmenot; Tue Feb 5th, 2013 at 10:52 PM.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,088
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I strongly disagree.

    I would not be surprised if Tristan Thompson became the 2nd best player of the 2011 draft.

    Tristan is improving. Quickly.

    http://i.imgur.com/KQDRDsG.png
    For somebody without a mid-range jumper, you would expect Thompson's FG% to be a bit higher operating mainly out of the low blocks. But the fact that he's already averaging a double-double is impressive.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    For somebody without a mid-range jumper, you would expect Thompson's FG% to be a bit higher operating mainly out of the low blocks. But the fact that he's already averaging a double-double is impressive.
    his FG% is low because he has absolutely no moves whatsoever still at this point. He can only finish right at the rim. I admit he's got good energy and can rebound, but basically so can most bigs, the question is usually if they can stay on the floor...so really, the most impressive part of his game is that he's not fouling and able to stay on the floor for 32 mpg....other than that?? He's not even made Ed Davis-like progress yet (yes I know the sample size is small, but at least Davis got that lefty hook down pat this year). Right now, Tristan Thompson is basically Kris Humphries to me. Hump averaged a double double...he also hasn't really improved his skill level much at all since entering the league. He just benefitted from minutes.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,088
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    his FG% is low because he has absolutely no moves whatsoever still at this point. He can only finish right at the rim. I admit he's got good energy and can rebound, but basically so can most bigs, the question is usually if they can stay on the floor...so really, the most impressive part of his game is that he's not fouling and able to stay on the floor for 32 mpg....other than that?? He's not even made Ed Davis-like progress yet (yes I know the sample size is small, but at least Davis got that lefty hook down pat this year). Right now, Tristan Thompson is basically Kris Humphries to me. Hump averaged a double double...he also hasn't really improved his skill level much at all since entering the league. He just benefitted from minutes.
    I would actually say the Hump has a broader repertoire of moves compared to Thompson.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I strongly disagree.

    I would not be surprised if Tristan Thompson became the 2nd best player of the 2011 draft.

    Tristan is improving. Quickly.

    http://i.imgur.com/KQDRDsG.png
    He's on a crap team being force fed minutes. Jonas would average the same if not better stats if he was given those kind of mins

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    his FG% is low because he has absolutely no moves whatsoever still at this point. He can only finish right at the rim. I admit he's got good energy and can rebound, but basically so can most bigs, the question is usually if they can stay on the floor...so really, the most impressive part of his game is that he's not fouling and able to stay on the floor for 32 mpg....other than that?? He's not even made Ed Davis-like progress yet (yes I know the sample size is small, but at least Davis got that lefty hook down pat this year). Right now, Tristan Thompson is basically Kris Humphries to me. Hump averaged a double double...he also hasn't really improved his skill level much at all since entering the league. He just benefitted from minutes.
    Bullshit.

    He's got a hook shot that he can shoot from either hand. He launches it more often when dribbling from left of the basket to the center and when taking big men that are foolish enough to guard him close at the top of the key. Yes, Tristan can dribble and create his own shot.

    This video is fairly representative of a number of plays he has done this year.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fp_DW5XhgOo

    If you watch Cleveland games, you will see they have a few plays for him in isolation where he is located to the side of the key. He receives the ball, dribbles toward the middle and either throws a hook shot or passes to a shooter located at the three point line on (4-5 o'clock position if he's starting at the 9 or 9 o'clock position).

    His FG% was low for four reasons: (1) he tried to put back almost every offensive rebounds he got, (2) he did recognize when he was double or triple teamed, (3) he was learning a new (running hook/flip) shot, and (4) he did not know how to create space for himself under the basket, resulting in many, many block against.

    He improved on (1) and he is more likely to pass out if he does not see an opportunity. Still ways to go.
    He is much improved on (2) and that's also reflected in his assist totals. He now keeps his head when dribbling from left to center, and right to center.
    He is much improved on (3) but has still ways to go. He can make that hook shot from up to 10-12 feet away.
    He has improved on (4) but still has a long way to go. The improvement is mostly due to him shooting it off the glass with one hand instead of trying to dunk it with two hands. Still take too much time to gather himself under the basket which results in too many blocks against.

    He has made a few 12-16 jump shots late in the shot clock but they're mostly accidents. Keep in mind his FT% has improved dramatically the past year and I think it's fair to expect he will eventually develop a mid range game. I don't think it's a priority with the Cleveland coaching staff though as they are focusing on using him different ways on defense.

    He does not foul because he does not leave his feet much on defense unless he is coming from the weak side to help. He has a strong lower body and he is difficult to post up. Also has excellent lateral quickness. Has suffered defensively since andy is injured because he now needs to recover for Kyrie (much worse defender than Calderon) and Zeller (he draws tons of charges but he is soft and gets beaten by quick players).

    Several people on the Cavaliers boards think he will eventually make the NBA all defensive team. I am not sure I agree but it's certainly within the realm of possibilities in my opinion.

    Saying Tristan Thompson has not even made Ed Davis-like progress yet is a joke and shows how little you know about the Cavaliers. Tristan is already a very good 1on1 defender and can create his own shot, two areas which Ed Davis is very weak on. Ed Davis progressed in a different manner (jump shot and finding spacing as a 4th option) but I still don't project him as a starter unless he starts to put on some serious muscles. He's way too much of a liability on defense when playing against a post up power forward. I do think he will have a long career as a 18-24 mpg player because of his skill set matches well against certain type of players.

    Tristan Thompson is nothing like Kris Humphries.

    I recently heard rumors Detroit had a deal in place with Toronto to move up to 5 in the 2011 draft so Detroit could draft Tristan Thompson. Calderon was also part of that deal.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    He's on a crap team being force fed minutes. Jonas would average the same if not better stats if he was given those kind of mins
    Cleveland is 14-34 and Toronto 17-31. Toronto is as crappy as Cleveland.

    It's easy to say X would be as good as Y if he was in the same situation because you can never prove or disprove it. It's just your personal opinion to which I strongly disagree.

    Neither player has reached his potential and we will know more in 3 years. But today, Tristan Thompson is a more complete player in my opinion and I would not be surprised if that fact still holds true in 3 years. I am not saying it will, just that it will not surprise me if it does.
    Last edited by Hugmenot; Wed Feb 6th, 2013 at 01:47 PM.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,088
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I recently heard rumors Detroit had a deal in place with Toronto to move up to 5 in the 2011 draft so Detroit could draft Tristan Thompson. Calderon was also part of that deal.
    Any idea what was coming back to Toronto?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It was Calderon + 5th pick for 8th pick and other

    I know Keith Langlois (‏@Keith_Langlois) twitted something about it in the past few days.

    About Keith Langlois
    Award-winning journalist Keith Langlois, most recently lead sports columnist at The Oakland Press, joined Pistons.com as the web site editor on October 2, 2006. Langlois, who brings over 27 years of professional sports journalism experience to Palace Sports & Entertainment, serves as Pistons.com's official beat writer and covers the team on a daily basis.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thompson and Valanciunas are not playing the same position so the comparison of a PF vs. a center is problematic. Thompson is the better player right now than JV, but he is a year older with an extra NBA season under his belt. They're both a work in progress.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •