Anyone else notice we can't rebound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else notice we can't rebound?

Ok, so I sit here and read all the opinions about the Raptors and why they aren't a playoff team. The one glaring stat that jumps off the page is rebounding - and yet I haven't read one thing about the fact that the Raptors are 28th in league in boards.

Our leading rebounder sits just under 7 a game (Amir). Maybe it's time for some box outs. I totally think Ross is going to be an all star at some point, perhaps even a top 3 SG in the east but right now I really wish we drafted Drummond, aka Shaq Jr.

Hopeing that JV is the answer here. Utah seems to have a bunch of rebounding options with Kanter, Favours, Milsap, Jefferson. Who would you target if you were BC - from Utah or any other team?

Keep in mind Miami is last in boards...maybe they aren't all that big a deal after all.

Couldn't agree more. It's glaring. I like Aaron Gray's size but he's got to start using it. Jonas may be the answer if he can rebound without fouling.

Comment

We traded away our best rebounder, JV got injured, plus we did not really have that many great rebounders to begin with.

Sure, it is big problem, but it is one that can only be addressed with acquisitions (which may not even happen before the deadline), so the team is doing the best it can under the circumstances.

Comment

Lowry and Fields are both great at getting rebounds, from traditionally non-rebounding positions. And both have been out with injuries or the Raps totals would be significantly higher. With JV, and Fields and Lowry back, those numbers will go up. Demar has been improving in that department as well.

Comment

It's been obvious for years that the Raptors are very inferior at rebounding.

I think the fouling is a bigger issues. They foul so much, just putting teams at the charity stripe, also usually lazy fouls. Need to be smart when fouling.

Comment

JasonS wrote: View Post
            ...Need to be smart when fouling.
            Easy to say, but harder to do when the competition always has better talent.

Comment

Shohtime wrote: View Post

Our leading rebounder sits just under 7 a game (Amir). Maybe it's time for some box outs. I totally think Ross is going to be an all star at some point, perhaps even a top 3 SG in the east but right now I really wish we drafted Drummond, aka Shaq Jr.

Keep in mind Miami is last in boards...maybe they aren't all that big a deal after all.
              Agree we should have gone with a big. Should have traded up to get Tristan. With Ed Davis at the time it made no sense, but it makes a whole lot of sense now.

Comment

RepRaptorsintheUSA wrote: View Post
                Agree we should have gone with a big. Should have traded up to get Tristan. With Ed Davis at the time it made no sense, but it makes a whole lot of sense now.
                No it doesn't. JV is a much better prospect than Thompson. Its much more dfficult to find a good 2 way center with sound fundamentals than an athletic PF who can rebound.

Comment

Hey

I'm new to the forum, but I spent part of my life in Canada and now live in Tennessee. It is hard for me to see Toronto's games, but I wanted to follow Gay and Haddadi since I hate how coach hollins does things for the grizz. I think Haddadi was added to the trade to simply to help the raptors rebound. If he is not waived, I would be interested to see how things work out for him. I hope you guys use Gay correctly.

Comment

formercanadian wrote: View Post
                    Hey

I'm new to the forum, but I spent part of my life in Canada and now live in Tennessee. It is hard for me to see Toronto's games, but I wanted to follow Gay and Haddadi since I hate how coach hollins does things for the grizz. I think Haddadi was added to the trade to simply to help the raptors rebound. If he is not waived, I would be interested to see how things work out for him. I hope you guys use Gay correctly.
                    Welcome to the crew!

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                      Lowry and Fields are both great at getting rebounds, from traditionally non-rebounding positions. And both have been out with injuries or the Raps totals would be significantly higher. With JV, and Fields and Lowry back, those numbers will go up. Demar has been improving in that department as well.
                      +1. This team is better in terms of rebounding the ball in non-traditional positions. Gay is a good rebounder, Fields, Lowry, Derozan improving.

Although, someone said at the top we traded our best rebounder?

Amir Johnson is still on the team sir.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Shohtime wrote: View Post
                        Ok, so I sit here and read all the opinions about the Raptors and why they aren't a playoff team. The one glaring stat that jumps off the page is rebounding - and yet I haven't read one thing about the fact that the Raptors are 28th in league in boards.

Hopeing that JV is the answer here. Utah seems to have a bunch of rebounding options with Kanter, Favours, Milsap, Jefferson. Who would you target if you were BC - from Utah or any other team?

Its hard to talk about draft success until a couple of years later. Drummond sat out last night against NYK because of a sore back. That shouldn't happen to a young player. I am happy with what Ross brings to this team right now.
                        Welp, that sucked.

Comment

formercanadian wrote: View Post
                          Hey

Welcome. But Haddadi will never, ever, ever play for this team.
                          Welp, that sucked.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                            Its hard to talk about draft success until a couple of years later. Drummond sat out last night against NYK because of a sore back. That shouldn't happen to a young player. I am happy with what Ross brings to this team right now.
                            I'm all for Ross. Just saying that I would have drafted Drummond...even with JV. I think Ross can dominate once he finds some confidence. Injuries are part of the game though. I would hate to see what happened to Oden go down with Drummond too. Knee's vs. Back but you get the idea.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                              Welcome. But Haddadi will never, ever, ever play for this team.
                              I don't think the grizz would get rid of him just for the raps to waive him. It doesn't make sense to me at least.

I know people here love Amir Johnson, but I think if Bargs come back with competitive nature he could start grabbing a few boards.

Comment

Working...
                              X