View Poll Results: Which was the better deal for us?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rudy Gay

    19 95.00%
  • Tyson Chandler

    1 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: The Trade That Never Was: Jose for Tyson Chandler? or Rudy Gay?

  1. #1
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The Trade That Never Was: Jose for Tyson Chandler? or Rudy Gay?

    Was thinking about it .. .did MJ actually do us a favour by reneging on the deal a few years back? OR in Light of Tyson Chandlers 3rd straight 20-rebound Game, was that still the better trade if we could have had it?
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Tyson is good and all, but Rudy is just a superior talent - creates his own offense with ease, is a good defender, while Chandler is very steady and good-if-not-great defender (not phenomenal/dominant though) and has a below average offense. Even though 7 footers are of extra value, with JV in the picture I think that is negated as well.

    Rudy all day long.
    Last edited by omgsomuchpotential; Tue Feb 5th, 2013 at 08:31 AM.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    its funny when you put it like that... If we had Chandler Dallas wouldnt have won that championship and it would have been most likely OKC, and BC wouldnt have took DC from Dallas to coach here and Chandlet would most likely be looking for a way out of the city by now... very strange when you think about it all.

    Glad things turned out in the end I always watched Memphis to see Rudy Gay play he really is a allstar snub.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think Chandler's defense is better than Gay's offense, but on this Raptors team it's Gay's skill set that is of more value. If Melo wasn't playing for New York, Chandler would have the same affect as he did playing in Charlotte. So my vote goes to Gay.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I think Chandler's defense is better than Gay's offense, but on this Raptors team it's Gay's skill set that is of more value. If Melo wasn't playing for New York, Chandler would have the same affect as he did playing in Charlotte. So my vote goes to Gay.
    I think that on a championship contender calibre team players like Gay is a MUST have, while players like Chandler aren't of equal importance. I like Chandler, and even though he was selected DPOY '12, I think you're either overestimating his defense or underestimating Gay's offense.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We probably wouldn't have drafted Jonas if we had Chandler.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    We probably wouldn't have drafted Jonas if we had Chandler.
    Indeed, while speculating on alternate past events you need to take into consideration the butterfly effect.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If we had Chandler then Colangelo would have correctly drafted Kemba Walker and we'd still have our first round pick. Calderon could still be traded for Rudy Gay.

    Basically, today's roster would be:

    c: Chandler
    pf: Johnson
    sf: Gay
    sg: DeRozan
    pg: Walker
    your pal,
    ebrian

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    If we had Chandler then Colangelo would have correctly drafted Kemba Walker and we'd still have our first round pick. Calderon could still be traded for Rudy Gay.

    Basically, today's roster would be:

    c: Chandler
    pf: Johnson
    sf: Gay
    sg: DeRozan
    pg: Walker
    Calderon would've been part of the Chandler trade. So he wouldn't have been available to acquire Gay
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Calderon would've been part of the Chandler trade. So he wouldn't have been available to acquire Gay
    LOL good one. Chandler is good but we would have still been working now a funk. At least with gay, others might be more inclined to sign with raps than without him.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    LOL good one. Chandler is good but we would have still been working now a funk. At least with gay, others might be more inclined to sign with raps than without him.
    Good point, and something that's not stated enough. Gay combined with Lowry, DeRozan, and Jonas might be something free agents see as an up-and-coming core.

    Acquiring Gay has somewhat increased Toronto's status as a free agent destination. Now, we just need to start winning some games, lol.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Ah damnit. Replace Bargnani with Calderon then. Instead of Detroit, go with Lakers.
    Memphis wanted/needed SF depth with Prince and Daye. Lakers would likely only trade Gasol
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i dont think it's fair to compare the two trades

    AT THE TIME, the Chandler trade made all the sense in the world... and the immediate impact would have been huge..

    seriously, Aaron Gray is an upgrade from the bigs we had that year... Alabi, Dorsey, David Anderesen, Ed Davis hadn't grown pubes yet... all we had was Bargs and Amir, and a buncha guys who barely showed up every 4-5 games..

    And losing Jose that year wouldn't have left us as high and dry at PG as now... back then we had Jack, Bayless, and Barbosa.. right now, there's nobody to share Lowry's minutes other than Lucas... and if Lowry goes down, there really isn't anyone who can slide over and take over point duties in his stead..

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Calderon would've been part of the Chandler trade. So he wouldn't have been available to acquire Gay
    My bad. But we would've still had the first round pick that went in the Lowry trade. So replace Calderon with 2013 First round pick and Bargnani going to Lakers instead of Jose to Detroit. Done and done. No Bargnani. Even better than my original scenario.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That is a good question.

    There are too many variables.

    Personally, I'd rather have Rudy and am pleased the way Calderon's contract worked out to benefit the team moving forward.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Memphis wanted/needed SF depth with Prince and Daye. Lakers would likely only trade Gasol
    Memphis didn't need/want anything except someone to take Calderon. Just sub another team.. say, Milwaukee for Ilyasova or Minnesota for Kirilenko. Whatever works.

    My head hurts.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Super tough to guage. Agree witht he earlier comment that if we get Chandler then we likely don't have Casey as the coach. Far too many dominoes to track. Chandler would have been a huge improvement to the team's identity at the time and perhaps we chart a different course entirely. (Perhaps we win enough to keep Triano as coach *gulp*).

    I like Chandler and think he is exactly what this team has been missing, but if JV can fill that role and Gay turns out to fulfill the scoring need, then perhaps things are best as is.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    i dont think it's fair to compare the two trades

    AT THE TIME, the Chandler trade made all the sense in the world... and the immediate impact would have been huge..

    seriously, Aaron Gray is an upgrade from the bigs we had that year... Alabi, Dorsey, David Anderesen, Ed Davis hadn't grown pubes yet... all we had was Bargs and Amir, and a buncha guys who barely showed up every 4-5 games..

    And losing Jose that year wouldn't have left us as high and dry at PG as now... back then we had Jack, Bayless, and Barbosa.. right now, there's nobody to share Lowry's minutes other than Lucas... and if Lowry goes down, there really isn't anyone who can slide over and take over point duties in his stead..
    that's exactly how we should look at it....trading jose from a few years ago for chandler pre championship (and diaw I should mention)

    or Jose of today and Ed Davis for Rudy Gay

    I think that contextually, turning Jose into Tyson chandler and Diaw at the time would have been a stroke of genius. Bargnani was not the dud he is today, Calderon was not as good as is today, and we would have had a really serviceable front court combination similar to the one which Dallas used to win the championship.

    At the same time, Bargnani ended up being terrible, so we would have built our whole team around him. Chandler would have left because...well...he just came from charlotte...so he would have been suicidal by the time he got to us, let alone after playing with Bargnani. We also had Jay Triano as a coach (i think?), who was BY FAR the worst coach in the history of the league

    That being said....The Gay trade wins all day. He will probably be an all star on our team, and this allows us to grow guys like Amir into high value players, and we are in the same place we probably would have been with Chandler, but with upside that lasts more than a couple of years

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    that's exactly how we should look at it....trading jose from a few years ago for chandler pre championship (and diaw I should mention)

    or Jose of today and Ed Davis for Rudy Gay

    I think that contextually, turning Jose into Tyson chandler and Diaw at the time would have been a stroke of genius. Bargnani was not the dud he is today, Calderon was not as good as is today, and we would have had a really serviceable front court combination similar to the one which Dallas used to win the championship.

    At the same time, Bargnani ended up being terrible, so we would have built our whole team around him. Chandler would have left because...well...he just came from charlotte...so he would have been suicidal by the time he got to us, let alone after playing with Bargnani. We also had Jay Triano as a coach (i think?), who was BY FAR the worst coach in the history of the league

    That being said....The Gay trade wins all day. He will probably be an all star on our team, and this allows us to grow guys like Amir into high value players, and we are in the same place we probably would have been with Chandler, but with upside that lasts more than a couple of years
    if i looked at things in terms of the time period...

    like, the Chandler trade in 2010, on the 2010 Raptors... with no outlook into the future... purely looking at that specific time and team... vs Rudy Gay and the current team and his impact on THIS season..

    i'd say i'd prefer the 2010 trade.. it addressed a desperate team need at the time, without sacrificing too much.. ed davis was barely mentionable, and giving up jose wasn't too bad since we had a decent arsenal of stand-ins at PG

    but really it's a pointless argument i'd be making... because right now i love the Rudy Gay trade, despite it leaving a blackhole at PG position

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    I think that on a championship contender calibre team players like Gay is a MUST have, while players like Chandler aren't of equal importance. I like Chandler, and even though he was selected DPOY '12, I think you're either overestimating his defense or underestimating Gay's offense.
    I beg to differ and I'm pretty sure there are a few people in Dallas that would feel differently as well. The reality is that you need good offensive and defensive players to win. If you use New York as an example a case could be made that if you took either Chandler or Melo out of the line up they would not be a winning team.

    But as I mentioned in my previous post, this particular Raptors squad has more of a need for what Rudy Gay brings to the table as opposed to what Tyson Chandler brings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •