Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Trade That Never Was: Jose for Tyson Chandler? or Rudy Gay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Trade That Never Was: Jose for Tyson Chandler? or Rudy Gay?

Was thinking about it .. .did MJ actually do us a favour by reneging on the deal a few years back? OR in Light of Tyson Chandlers 3rd straight 20-rebound Game, was that still the better trade if we could have had it?
    Rudy Gay
    95.00%
    Tyson Chandler
    5.00%

Tyson is good and all, but Rudy is just a superior talent - creates his own offense with ease, is a good defender, while Chandler is very steady and good-if-not-great defender (not phenomenal/dominant though) and has a below average offense. Even though 7 footers are of extra value, with JV in the picture I think that is negated as well.

Rudy all day long.
    Last edited by omgsomuchpotential; Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:31 AM.

Comment

its funny when you put it like that... If we had Chandler Dallas wouldnt have won that championship and it would have been most likely OKC, and BC wouldnt have took DC from Dallas to coach here and Chandlet would most likely be looking for a way out of the city by now... very strange when you think about it all.

Glad things turned out in the end I always watched Memphis to see Rudy Gay play he really is a allstar snub.

Comment

I think Chandler's defense is better than Gay's offense, but on this Raptors team it's Gay's skill set that is of more value. If Melo wasn't playing for New York, Chandler would have the same affect as he did playing in Charlotte. So my vote goes to Gay.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          I think Chandler's defense is better than Gay's offense, but on this Raptors team it's Gay's skill set that is of more value. If Melo wasn't playing for New York, Chandler would have the same affect as he did playing in Charlotte. So my vote goes to Gay.
          I think that on a championship contender calibre team players like Gay is a MUST have, while players like Chandler aren't of equal importance. I like Chandler, and even though he was selected DPOY '12, I think you're either overestimating his defense or underestimating Gay's offense.

Comment

We probably wouldn't have drafted Jonas if we had Chandler.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              We probably wouldn't have drafted Jonas if we had Chandler.
              Indeed, while speculating on alternate past events you need to take into consideration the butterfly effect.

Comment

If we had Chandler then Colangelo would have correctly drafted Kemba Walker and we'd still have our first round pick. Calderon could still be traded for Rudy Gay.

Basically, today's roster would be:

c: Chandler
                pf: Johnson
                sf: Gay
                sg: DeRozan
                pg: Walker
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                  If we had Chandler then Colangelo would have correctly drafted Kemba Walker and we'd still have our first round pick. Calderon could still be traded for Rudy Gay.

Basically, today's roster would be:

c: Chandler
                  pf: Johnson
                  sf: Gay
                  sg: DeRozan
                  pg: Walker
                  Calderon would've been part of the Chandler trade. So he wouldn't have been available to acquire Gay

Comment

Calderon would've been part of the Chandler trade. So he wouldn't have been available to acquire Gay
                    LOL good one. Chandler is good but we would have still been working now a funk. At least with gay, others might be more inclined to sign with raps than without him.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                      LOL good one. Chandler is good but we would have still been working now a funk. At least with gay, others might be more inclined to sign with raps than without him.
                      Good point, and something that's not stated enough. Gay combined with Lowry, DeRozan, and Jonas might be something free agents see as an up-and-coming core.

Acquiring Gay has somewhat increased Toronto's status as a free agent destination. Now, we just need to start winning some games, lol.

Comment

ebrian wrote:
                        Ah damnit. Replace Bargnani with Calderon then. Instead of Detroit, go with Lakers.
                        Memphis wanted/needed SF depth with Prince and Daye. Lakers would likely only trade Gasol

Comment

i dont think it's fair to compare the two trades

AT THE TIME, the Chandler trade made all the sense in the world... and the immediate impact would have been huge..

seriously, Aaron Gray is an upgrade from the bigs we had that year... Alabi, Dorsey, David Anderesen, Ed Davis hadn't grown pubes yet... all we had was Bargs and Amir, and a buncha guys who barely showed up every 4-5 games..

And losing Jose that year wouldn't have left us as high and dry at PG as now... back then we had Jack, Bayless, and Barbosa.. right now, there's nobody to share Lowry's minutes other than Lucas... and if Lowry goes down, there really isn't anyone who can slide over and take over point duties in his stead..

Comment

My bad. But we would've still had the first round pick that went in the Lowry trade. So replace Calderon with 2013 First round pick and Bargnani going to Lakers instead of Jose to Detroit. Done and done. No Bargnani. Even better than my original scenario.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

That is a good question.

There are too many variables.

Personally, I'd rather have Rudy and am pleased the way Calderon's contract worked out to benefit the team moving forward.

Comment

Working...
                              X