Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Trade That Never Was: Jose for Tyson Chandler? or Rudy Gay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Memphis wanted/needed SF depth with Prince and Daye. Lakers would likely only trade Gasol
    Memphis didn't need/want anything except someone to take Calderon. Just sub another team.. say, Milwaukee for Ilyasova or Minnesota for Kirilenko. Whatever works.

My head hurts.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

Super tough to guage. Agree witht he earlier comment that if we get Chandler then we likely don't have Casey as the coach. Far too many dominoes to track. Chandler would have been a huge improvement to the team's identity at the time and perhaps we chart a different course entirely. (Perhaps we win enough to keep Triano as coach *gulp*).

I like Chandler and think he is exactly what this team has been missing, but if JV can fill that role and Gay turns out to fulfill the scoring need, then perhaps things are best as is.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
        i dont think it's fair to compare the two trades

AT THE TIME, the Chandler trade made all the sense in the world... and the immediate impact would have been huge..

seriously, Aaron Gray is an upgrade from the bigs we had that year... Alabi, Dorsey, David Anderesen, Ed Davis hadn't grown pubes yet... all we had was Bargs and Amir, and a buncha guys who barely showed up every 4-5 games..

And losing Jose that year wouldn't have left us as high and dry at PG as now... back then we had Jack, Bayless, and Barbosa.. right now, there's nobody to share Lowry's minutes other than Lucas... and if Lowry goes down, there really isn't anyone who can slide over and take over point duties in his stead..
        that's exactly how we should look at it....trading jose from a few years ago for chandler pre championship (and diaw I should mention)

or Jose of today and Ed Davis for Rudy Gay

I think that contextually, turning Jose into Tyson chandler and Diaw at the time would have been a stroke of genius. Bargnani was not the dud he is today, Calderon was not as good as is today, and we would have had a really serviceable front court combination similar to the one which Dallas used to win the championship.

At the same time, Bargnani ended up being terrible, so we would have built our whole team around him. Chandler would have left because...well...he just came from charlotte...so he would have been suicidal by the time he got to us, let alone after playing with Bargnani. We also had Jay Triano as a coach (i think?), who was BY FAR the worst coach in the history of the league

That being said....The Gay trade wins all day. He will probably be an all star on our team, and this allows us to grow guys like Amir into high value players, and we are in the same place we probably would have been with Chandler, but with upside that lasts more than a couple of years

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
          that's exactly how we should look at it....trading jose from a few years ago for chandler pre championship (and diaw I should mention)

or Jose of today and Ed Davis for Rudy Gay

I think that contextually, turning Jose into Tyson chandler and Diaw at the time would have been a stroke of genius. Bargnani was not the dud he is today, Calderon was not as good as is today, and we would have had a really serviceable front court combination similar to the one which Dallas used to win the championship.

At the same time, Bargnani ended up being terrible, so we would have built our whole team around him. Chandler would have left because...well...he just came from charlotte...so he would have been suicidal by the time he got to us, let alone after playing with Bargnani. We also had Jay Triano as a coach (i think?), who was BY FAR the worst coach in the history of the league

That being said....The Gay trade wins all day. He will probably be an all star on our team, and this allows us to grow guys like Amir into high value players, and we are in the same place we probably would have been with Chandler, but with upside that lasts more than a couple of years
          if i looked at things in terms of the time period...

like, the Chandler trade in 2010, on the 2010 Raptors... with no outlook into the future... purely looking at that specific time and team... vs Rudy Gay and the current team and his impact on THIS season..

i'd say i'd prefer the 2010 trade.. it addressed a desperate team need at the time, without sacrificing too much.. ed davis was barely mentionable, and giving up jose wasn't too bad since we had a decent arsenal of stand-ins at PG

but really it's a pointless argument i'd be making... because right now i love the Rudy Gay trade, despite it leaving a blackhole at PG position

Comment

omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
            I think that on a championship contender calibre team players like Gay is a MUST have, while players like Chandler aren't of equal importance. I like Chandler, and even though he was selected DPOY '12, I think you're either overestimating his defense or underestimating Gay's offense.
            I beg to differ and I'm pretty sure there are a few people in Dallas that would feel differently as well. The reality is that you need good offensive and defensive players to win. If you use New York as an example a case could be made that if you took either Chandler or Melo out of the line up they would not be a winning team.

But as I mentioned in my previous post, this particular Raptors squad has more of a need for what Rudy Gay brings to the table as opposed to what Tyson Chandler brings.

Comment

I actually didn't like the Chandler trade at the time. Didn't think he was that great coming out of Charlotte. Still think he's a bit overrated to be honest. The only thing I liked about that whole move was how Bryan was able to unload Turk and get Barbosa - yet that still happened.

The Rudy Gay trade is much better. He's the most dynamic wing since Carter and we've had such crap players playing the SF spot that it's nice to have someone legitimate play there.

Comment

This was a fun activity.

We could have had Chandler *and* Gay! Man oh man.

OR:

We could have had Kobe Bryant! Man oh man oh man.

your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

I think it should be pointed out, for context, that since the trade fell through Chandler has gone on to:

-Win a Championship, while being credited as the 'Heart and Soul' of the Team.
                  -Become an All-Star.
                  -Record the 3rd highest Field Goal percentage in League History (67.9%).
                  -Be named Second Team All-Defense.
                  -Be named Defensive Player of the Year.
                  -Average basically a Double-Double over those 3 years.

With all that said, I still take the Gay trade I think .. but man its hard to say.

Didn't we have a chance to sign him as well before he signed with New York? The same summer we poached Casey from Dallas?

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    I think it should be pointed out, for context, that since the trade fell through Chandler has gone on to:

-Win a Championship, while being credited as the 'Heart and Soul' of the Team.
                    -Become an All-Star.
                    -Record the 3rd highest Field Goal percentage in League History (67.9%).
                    -Be named Second Team All-Defense.
                    -Be named Defensive Player of the Year.
                    -Average basically a Double-Double over those 3 years.

With all that said, I still take the Gay trade I think .. but man its hard to say.

Didn't we have a chance to sign him as well before he signed with New York? The same summer we poached Casey from Dallas?
                    The question is, would Chandler have reached those heights had he not played for a Championship calibre team (vs. a lottery team like the Raptors)? He was a 9-year veteran before the Dallas trade, and nobody was considering him "all-NBA" back then.

Comment

this is a hard one to gauge. i liked both deals. Chandler even back then was considered a strong rebounder & good post D it was injury concerns that stop him from being all NBA back then..who knows how he would have felt about T.O though, he prob wouldnt have resigned..Gay genuinely seems to like it here & as long as this team keeps taking steps forward id say theres a very good chance he resigns here, so from a long term perspective id say the Gay deal makes more sense i guess
                      Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Tue Feb 5, 2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        That is a good question.

There are too many variables.

Personally, I'd rather have Rudy and am pleased the way Calderon's contract worked out to benefit the team moving forward.
                        Too many variables is an understatement.

Comment

Working...
                        X