3-pt dunk: Proposed rule change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-pt dunk: Proposed rule change

Ok, here's a crazy idea. Everybody loves dunks, and executing them in a game is at least as difficult and rare as making a 3-pt shot, in my opinion. It takes skill and toughness to be able to finish at the rim. This should be rewarded, I propose, with making dunks worth 3 points instead of 2-pts like any old layup or mid-range shot.

Can you imagine the collisions at the rim? Guys like Demar would now have a strong incentive to go hard instead of settling. Of course, the fact that the Raptors might have the one of the best dunking lineups in the NBA also factors into this for me. But still, if I'm paying to see JJ Redick or Terrence Ross, I'd take TRoss 10 times out of 10. Not sure why the league should favor smaller guys who can shoot it from deep.

Discuss...
    Last edited by golden; Tue Feb 5, 2013, 04:24 PM.

Isn't a dunk with an 'and 1' incentive enough to take it strong? That's your 3 points right there.

Comment

Do we really need a reason for guys like Lebron to blow teams out even more lol not to mention pad Griffins stats to further cover up how trash he is when he cant dunk?

Comment

Dunks are only difficult if there are defenders in the way. Is a breakaway dunk (which is not much harder than a layup for these guys), worth 3 points?

Comment

Must be a few days between games.
          The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Dunks are only difficult if there are defenders in the way. Is a breakaway dunk (which is not much harder than a layup for these guys), worth 3 points?
            Same can be said of the open corner 3-pointer. It's a shorter distance and if the shooter is not defended, should that really be 3 pts?

Comment

Athletic guys (even Dwight Howard) have a chance to hit from behind the 3-pt line, but guys like Steve Nash or Jose Calderon can't dunk so it would not be equal
              (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

Only if they raise the rim two more feet.

Comment

Yeah I'm not a fan of the idea. More injuries and break away dunks aren't worth 3 points

Comment

japetas wrote: View Post
                    Athletic guys (even Dwight Howard) have a chance to hit from behind the 3-pt line, but guys like Steve Nash or Jose Calderon can't dunk so it would not be equal
                    Dwight Howard has 2 career 3-pt shots made. Uh, not exactly fair, if you ask me. Calderon can dunk and has at least a few in an NBA game. I'm pretty sure Nash is capable (maybe, just barely), but chooses not too. Heck, even Jeremy Lin can dunk.

Actually, I'm interested in how people think the dynamic of the game would change, if players & coaches knew that a dunk was more valuable. Would you keep a shot blocker back there? Would guys go harder at the rim? Would the floor spacing change?

Comment

Cool idea man. I think they should make an arc with the same distance of the free throw line, and if you dunk behind the line you get three points.

So basically only free throw distance dunks count as 3 points, and it would mostly be done on one-man fast breaks. The best part about this is that it's not too easy to do, so you either 'do or die', unless you have a friendly rim and it bounces back to you.
                      Last edited by Sig; Tue Feb 5, 2013, 06:34 PM.

Comment

You don't change something as fundamental as the scoring system unless the game becomes stale and loses popularity...

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                          Cool idea man. I think they should make an arc with the same distance of the free throw line, and if you dunk behind the line you get three points.

So basically only free throw distance dunks count as 3 points, and it would mostly be done on one-man fast breaks. The best part about this is that it's not too easy to do, so you either 'do or die', unless you have a friendly rim and it bounces back to you.
                          I like this, but the free throw line is a bit too far away. Imagine a team down by 3 at the end of a game. You would have to guard both the '3-pt dunk' line and the traditional 3-pt line. So now you would have guys taking off 'kamikaze-style' from the free throw line to try and tie the game with guys waiting for them under the rim. That's action.

Comment

I don't know, kind of weird if it is only in a couple of unique scenarios.

And if it's not, guys will just POUND on each other instead of giving up dunks. Look for injuries and fouls to go way up.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              I don't know, kind of weird if it is only in a couple of unique scenarios.

And if it's not, guys will just POUND on each other instead of giving up dunks. Look for injuries and fouls to go way up.
                              I would welcome the added dimension of physicality. NBA players are some of the most athletic individuals on the planet, yet, that doesn't get showcased. This rule change would encourage that, I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X