Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

phez wrote: View Post
    waive haddadi brings us to 70.7 mill.

so we definitely need to amnesty a player to use an exception.

depending on who we amnestry, would leave us with about 2 to 4 million in exception space to sign someone.
    That is not how it works.

The apron for the full MLE is $74M i.e. you can't use full MLE (4 years, $20M) if it takes you over $74M and then you can't go over $74M for the rest of season.

The Raptors with anything over $69M in payroll would have the mini-MLE available to them which is 3 years and $9M.

Comment

where are you getting 74 million from?

current tax level is 70 million. i was reading from this you cannot use the exception to go over the apron.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        That is not how it works.

The apron for the full MLE is $74M i.e. you can't use full MLE (4 years, $20M) if it takes you over $74M and then you can't go over $74M for the rest of season.

The Raptors with anything over $69M in payroll would have the mini-MLE available to them which is 3 years and $9M.
        If the Raptors were over $69 and under $74, they could still use the full MLE, as long as it doesn't put them over the apron. So if we're at $70 million, we could use the MLE to bring in someone at four years, $3.9 million per.

Comment

where are you getting 74 million from?

current tax level is 70 million. i was reading from this you cannot use the exception to go over the apron.
          70 is the tax. 74 is the apron (exactly 4 million above the tax threshold). You can use your full MLE or bi-annual exception as long as they don't exceed the apron.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
            If the Raptors were over $69 and under $74, they could still use the full MLE, as long as it doesn't put them over the apron. So if we're at $70 million, we could use the MLE to bring in someone at four years, $3.9 million per.
            Yes, I believe that is correct. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Seeing as there's tonnes of trade ideas I thought this would help out some of you. The list includes both restricted (team+qualifying offer) and unrestricted (free+player options)

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents/

the only raptor of note is Lowry at 6.2mill next year. gray, lucas, anderson are expendable. klieza has a pretty 4.6mill player option (the fuck?).

i thought 2012 was a big year but it looks like 2013 will be even bigger.
              Get rid of Bargnani..pick,clear cap,what ever..off season..sign Josh Smith.
              If u want 2 be relevant in nba..that's who u should pick up,money is not the issue,especially with Rudy Gay acquisition.
              "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
              My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                Get rid of Bargnani..pick,clear cap,what ever..off season..sign Josh Smith.
                If u want 2 be relevant in nba..that's who u should pick up,money is not the issue,especially with Rudy Gay acquisition.
                They cannot clear enough cap space to sign Josh Smith as a free agent. The only way to do it is via sign and trade, or even better, trade for him before the deadline, then we'll have his bird rights.

Comment

We're not signing CP3 or Josh Smith. Obviously, if we could sign the two of them, get Dwight Howard to play for us for less than max, then we'd be set, but we're still playing our games in reality.

Trading Bargnani, gives us a bit of room to play with, depending on what comes back the other way, but it's going to have to be something at least close in terms of salary, and there really aren't that many players out there (we can't just trade him for a pick- salary coming back has to be about $6.6 million). I can't see us keeping Kleiza. Not that I dislike him, there just isn't anywhere he fits on this team anymore. Gray and Lucas are both 3rd string guys that know our system, are cheap, and aren't going to get a lot of playing time, expect them to stay.

Again, depending on what we get for Bargnani (I don't expect a lot, but we have to do something to match salaries) we're probably looking at needing a 4. Josh Smith, Paul Millsap, and David West aren't coming, and we can't trade Bargnani for any of them. There isn't a lot out there that gets me excited, so it might be a matter of having AJ play some 4, and also either Fields or Gay when we go small. Maybe Acy gets a few minutes/month at the 4?

In terms of a veteran PG I think Tinsley would be a good alternative. He doesn't need to play a tonne of minutes, gives us a veteran who can come off the bench and share the ball, and isn't going to lose the game for us with his defense. We aren't looking for an all-star backup PG, just a guy who can play 12-15 minutes/game without making a tonne of mistakes.

It's tough to know what to look at in terms of free agents until something happens with Bargnani.

Comment

If we can get rid of bargs via trade why not go after david west? Good vetrean with polished offensive game and a tough defender. Maybe sign him to a deal for 2/24 or 3/33.

Comment

Jarrett Jack would actually fit quite nicely with the new look Raptors
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I actually like the idea of Nolan Smith as a cheap/young backup PG.

Comment

Solid backup PG should be the #1 concern if we don't address it at the trade deadline. Next should be a very strong defensive big IMO, preferably centre.

Comment

Just realized Aminu is an UFA next season.

NOH did not pick up the option on him.

I have always liked him. Would love to see him in Toronto.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Just realized Aminu is an UFA next season.

NOH did not pick up the option on him.

I have always liked him. Would love to see him in Toronto.
                              Excellent rebounder at the 3. Something we need.
                              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                                Excellent rebounder at the 3. Something we need.
                                Especially when we have Landry Fields in the team.
                                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                                X