Preventing Shots After Whistle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing Shots After Whistle

I've noticed this for a while. When play stops the Raptors (mostly Amir) always try to prevent an opponents shot from getting to the hoop. Can anyone explain this to me? Is it to prevent them from gaining confidence from seeing there shot go in? Do other teams do it?

Lots of guys do this throughout the league.
    I look at it as being the mentality that "you will never score on my basket as long as I'm on the floor."
    I like it a lot. Shows a certain toughness.

Comment

its def to not allow someone to see their shot go in imo.. its all a shooter needs to get going

Comment

Considering most people shoot under 50% wouldn't it be better to let him likely see his shot miss? I realize they're shooting % is in game and maybe much higher when there's no pressure but still it's likely 50/50 right?
        I do like it, though. Kinda like they're denying the satisfaction of taking his shot, like when the ref denied Amir the chance to touch the ball between foul shots and he lost his cool.

Comment

AlienOverlord wrote: View Post
          Considering most people shoot under 50% wouldn't it be better to let him likely see his shot miss? I realize they're shooting % is in game and maybe much higher when there's no pressure but still it's likely 50/50 right?
          I do like it, though. Kinda like they're denying the satisfaction of taking his shot, like when the ref denied Amir the chance to touch the ball between foul shots and he lost his cool.
          why not make it a 100% chance that he misses? he will see it miss no matter what.. has the same effect even if he knew it was going in..

Comment

KG innovated this lol

Comment

I dunno if he started it but he is the first one I remember seeing do it back in the day too

Comment

It's also a dick maneuver to get inside peoples head. If someone takes the time to shoot after the whistle and it's goal-tended it can be very frustrating and make you angry, which is also the point, to get you off your game. At least for Garnett.

Also, if you want to take it to the extreme do it Russell Westbrook style... he blocked the Nugget's Mascot's half court attempt twice
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                  It's also a dick maneuver to get inside peoples head. If someone takes the time to shoot after the whistle and it's goal-tended it can be very frustrating and make you angry, which is also the point, to get you off your game. At least for Garnett.

Also, if you want to take it to the extreme do it Russell Westbrook style... he blocked the Nugget's Mascot's half court attempt twice
                  That was hilarious!

I was laughing my ass off a couple of weeks ago when that happened.

Comment

AlienOverlord wrote: View Post
                    Most people shoot under 50% in a game situation. On a freebie shots however, that % skyrockets.

Comment

I think it's simply an intimidation tactic. Amir does it, Davis did it, and I've even seen DeRozan do it.

I wonder if it's an identified team strategy?

Comment

Its a great thing to do especially when you happen to be leading and the opponent is just tossing up bricks can really get into your head if you are lik 2-19 shooting right Il Mago? lool

Comment

I think it's much less about letting shooters see the shot go in, or even get confidence in their shot.

It's all about saying, 'you shall not pass'
                          The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Ed was the one who did it on the Raptors on every dead ball. It started rubbing off on Amir, DeMar etc.

Ed's role model is KG he has said it in the past.
                            NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                              Ed was the one who did it on the Raptors on every dead ball. It started rubbing off on Amir, DeMar etc.

Ed's role model is KG he has said it in the past.
                              So true. Ed was the king of this for the raptors.

I just wish the the Tony Allen video was mandatory watching in training camp for why not to jump after the whistle

Comment

Working...
                              X