Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Blessing in Disguise?

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Blessing in Disguise?

With the fear that Gasol may have injured his Plantar Fascia and may be out for a while will this force us to rethink our trade options.Kinda like the whole Nash jumping ship to the lakers and we end up with Lowry? And if not Gasol, will a PF like Millsap be available.

Thoughts...

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont like Bargnani anymore but honestly.... if he can come back and play well, we are going to be in a great position.

Lets go Bargnaniiiiiii!

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    I dont like Bargnani anymore but honestly.... if he can come back and play well, we are going to be in a great position.

Lets go Bargnaniiiiiii!
    If Gasol proves to be out for a longer period of time, Bargnani could become really attractive for the Lakers.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

after gasol nothing on the Lakers I would like.and any space we might have had to absorb a contract is gone. our salaries have to match now

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    after gasol nothing on the Lakers I would like.and any space we might have had to absorb a contract is gone. our salaries have to match now
    3 or 4 team trade is possible.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I promised myself i won't type the word Jose today. Part of the process my therapist suggested in order to let go. Don't tell.

The big thing with everyone now is Lowry & Gay's "relationship."
    Has anyone considers Pau Gasol & Jose. Imagine them working the pick & roll in Raptor uniforms. (Tearing up)

My question is.... Do you take a hurt Pau Gasol for a healthy Bargs? I very disappointed in Bargs, not sure if I hate him that much. Ok... I do hate him that much but the goal is to win. For the sake of the playoffs this year...as long as he comes of the bench & is surrounded by our best defenders..... guess i'd go .....your not gonna make me type it are you?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

thought the same thing - gasol is not the answer for us so hopefully this derails any potential trade for him

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Either Gasol's injury hampers the move of Bargs or accelerates it. BC is probably just as clueless as we are at this point.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

We want a young power forward and a back up PG coming back in a return for Barg's. The team is young so why not look for a young PF to grow with the team not an old vet. like Gasol ! Maybe we can dump Kleiza or Fields to make the trade a little bigger. But I say stay away from Gasol trade!!! Please go young!!

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote badbob wrote: View Post
    We want a young power forward and a back up PG coming back in a return for Barg's. The team is young so why not look for a young PF to grow with the team not an old vet. like Gasol ! Maybe we can dump Kleiza or Fields to make the trade a little bigger. But I say stay away from Gasol trade!!! Please go young!!
    +1

I don't want the team to make the play-offs this year, I want them to miss by a basket. Then grow all through next year so they have a chance to finish 6th/5th. That requires getting young developing players in a trade before the deadline so they have a chance to be worked into the Raps offensive/defensive schemes.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote badbob wrote: View Post
    We had a young PF & a back up PG just last .....never mind.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rap4Life wrote: View Post
    With the fear that Gasol may have injured his Plantar Fascia and may be out for a while will this force us to rethink our trade options.Kinda like the whole Nash jumping ship to the lakers and we end up with Lowry? And if not Gasol, will a PF like Millsap be available.

Thoughts...
    Milsap would be a great addition, but how does this team pay him next year and long term while keeping (most of)the rest of the roster intact? Even if we assume Milsap would be available and obtainable, he may end up being nothing more than a half season rental.

We want a young power forward and a back up PG coming back in a return for Barg's. The team is young so why not look for a young PF to grow with the team not an old vet. like Gasol !
    Some one can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this team was around the average NBA age. Which isn't old by any means, but comparatively not particularily young.

Besides that, if the goal is the playoffs this year or next, doesn't adding some veteran experience and a more talented player make alot of sense?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    Milsap would be a great addition, but how does this team pay him next year and long term while keeping (most of)the rest of the roster intact? Even if we assume Milsap would be available and obtainable, he may end up being nothing more than a half season rental.
    Bargnani is obviously the one long term piece that doesn't seem to fit. The assumption is that Bargnani is traded in any Millsap deal (perhaps not to Utah directly but via a 3rd team).

Toronto would get Millsap's Bird rights.. they can sign him to a deal even if they go above the cap to do it. If they are able to move Bargnani to get Millsap then that would be adding only $2-$3M to the roster (ie, the difference between Bargnani's salary and Millsap's extension).

Assuming Kleiza is amnestied.. they'd be in the tax at about $71M (assuming Millsap's first year is at $12M) next year. That's still $3M below the apron.

If Millsap leaves in free agency then they are able to shed $10M (Bargnani's salary) from their roster without having to use the amnesty. They could then use the amnesty on Kleiza and have some wiggle room (ie, be able to get far enough away from tax so they can offer the full MLE and not be penalized by being a tax team). If the salary cap goes up as projected then they may even get under the cap and have some flexibility back.

It's a gamble, but I do think that if you show Millsap the money he will stay.. and if Bargnani's salary is dumped without needing to use the amnesty I think that's a bonus.

For those that are hoping for some kind of asset for Bargnani then this wouldn't work unless there was an agreement already in place from Millsap that he would resign. I'm personally okay if we don't get anything back for him. I just want the Bargnani era to come to an end before next season starts whether or not he returns an asset.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Bargnani is obviously the one long term piece that doesn't seem to fit. The assumption is that Bargnani is traded in any Millsap deal (perhaps not to Utah directly but via a 3rd team).

Toronto would get Millsap's Bird rights.. they can sign him to a deal even if they go above the cap to do it. If they are able to move Bargnani to get Millsap then that would be adding only $2-$3M to the roster (ie, the difference between Bargnani's salary and Millsap's extension).

Assuming Kleiza is amnestied.. they'd be in the tax at about $71M (assuming Millsap's first year is at $12M) next year. That's still $3M below the apron.

If Millsap leaves in free agency then they are able to shed $10M (Bargnani's salary) from their roster without having to use the amnesty. They could then use the amnesty on Kleiza and have some wiggle room (ie, be able to get far enough away from tax so they can offer the full MLE and not be penalized by being a tax team). If the salary cap goes up as projected then they may even get under the cap and have some flexibility back.

It's a gamble, but I do think that if you show Millsap the money he will stay.. and if Bargnani's salary is dumped without needing to use the amnesty I think that's a bonus.

For those that are hoping for some kind of asset for Bargnani then this wouldn't work unless there was an agreement already in place from Millsap that he would resign. I'm personally okay if we don't get anything back for him. I just want the Bargnani era to come to an end before next season starts whether or not he returns an asset.
    I agree with the last paragraph. I'm just as happy with a straight amnesty as anything.

However for the rest. There are numerous assumptions made here (a team wants Bargnani, or a team wants to help Toronto out in a deal, plus the questions of what else it would take for Utah to give Toronto Milsap or what Toronto would additionally give up). But even assuming they occur, or something similar, its still doesn't address trying to retain Lowry after signing Milsap.

Even if we want to assume Bargnani can be moved for Milsap, and MLSE would pay deep into the tax, and would pay Kleiza's amnestied salary on top of that, we are still talking about potentially having one of the highest payrolls in the league after resigning everyone. These aren't impossibilities, but I think trading for Milsap and having a realistic shot at retaining him while maintaining the roster is much more of a pipe dream then anything.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    I agree with the last paragraph. I'm just as happy with a straight amnesty as anything.

However for the rest. There are numerous assumptions made here (a team wants Bargnani, or a team wants to help Toronto out in a deal, plus the questions of what else it would take for Utah to give Toronto Milsap or what Toronto would additionally give up). But even assuming they occur, or something similar, its still doesn't address trying to retain Lowry after signing Milsap.

Even if we want to assume Bargnani can be moved for Milsap, and MLSE would pay deep into the tax, and would pay Kleiza's amnestied salary on top of that, we are still talking about potentially having one of the highest payrolls in the league after resigning everyone. These aren't impossibilities, but I think trading for Milsap and having a realistic shot at retaining him while maintaining the roster is much more of a pipe dream then anything.
    When discussing Millsap you have to throw out assumptions considering I have not heard one rumour that says that Toronto is even interested in him (if I had to guess, it would be Houston that would get him considering Morey is a stats guy and Millsap is one of the best producing players out there).... but with regards to Lowry's extension it wouldn't matter if Millsap was on the team or not, they would still need a PF regardless (Amir is not a long term answer).

If it was Gasol then once his contract expires, the Raptors would still have to resign him (and he won't be cheap) or they'd have to try and trade for one (no free agent is coming here, plus they'd have cap issues anyway). So I'm not sure why it would it make a difference if they got Millsap or not. If they need to free up cap they have two expiring contracts in Fields/Amir in 2014 as well as DeMar's contract if they wanted to trade him.

You also have to consider that the cap is probably going to be raised next season, which could lift the tax as well. Lot of assumptions for sure, but if Bryan is not done tinkering and if Bells/Rogers is willing to spend money then I personally would rather have them go after Millsap than Gasol (or any other potentially available PF).

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't know, I guess my assumption here is that maybe a lot of fans on these forums are overvaluing Paul Millsap. He's also a 3rd, or maybe 2nd option at best, type player. Why go through so much fuss to get him? People are willing to give up more talent to get Millsap than they were to get Gay, a more talented player...what's the deal? Ok, obviously I'd prefer him over Bargs, but how much talent are you going to give up for a him on top of that? Demar is definitely too much, IMO.
    *again, all with no guarantee you can re-sign him, or sign a competent PF to replace him in the offseason. TO fans should know firsthand how much free agency is a crapshoot. You usually end up overpaying for players that fit a need, and the true stars will have choices and dictate where they go, which is not gonna be Toronto...maybe in a couple of years if we're winning
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:20 AM.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gasol still has (at least) 3 years of all-star calibre play left in him. It wouldn't necessarily be a short-sighted move to get him.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bargnani for Earl Clark.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Bargnani for Earl Clark.....
    No...

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    No...
    You know hes averaging almost a double double right? is crazy athletic and does many things on the court hes actually one of the prim reasons LAL arent completely useless.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information