Blessing in Disguise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Let me get this straight, you'd only trade a non-all star and probably never will be (DD) for an all star? Huh? As for wanting to trade him? Well, here are my reasons (my own opinion):

1. BC can sell high. Demar is a good kid and was rewarded with a decent extension (personally I don't think he'll live up to it).

2. There's Ross (self-explanatory).

3. Fields is a superior rebounder and defender. Once his bloated contract expires, Ross takes over.

4. BC won't make this happen without assurances from Millsap that he'll sign an extension.

5. Both Dalembert and Tinsley are only for this year. Not long term, never will be.

6. Demar's game improving? Hmmm, his scoring was never in doubt but his ability to finish at the rim and by god, his dribbling? Wow. How many times did he lose the ball, or got stripped, etc? If I had a penny for everytime he lost the ball... wait a minute, there's no more pennies. Whatever. Sell high. Gay got reunited with his friend, Demar deserves to be with his boy in Jennings.
    Thank god your just an internet GM....

This trade sucks for us -- plain and simple. I guess you guys can dream huh? DD is not yet an all-star and neither is Rudy Gay -- BUT they both have the potential to be all-stars....

I really like Millsap BUT i think you guys over value him....to be honest. I dont think TRoss is ready and i definitely dont think he is better than DD right now.... could he be better in the future?? Sure why not!? But your acting like thats a guarantee (self-explanatory).

To pretend that we can't have all 3 (Gay, DD and Ross) is just silly. Millsap will be a free agent, so will Jefferson.....why not use the amnesty on Andrea or LK and make a pitch for these guys after the season is over?? I would rather do that than to give up our second best player (3rd at worst)!!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      If DeRozan never learned how to dribble in high school, there's very little chance of it happening now.
      You have been eating your words ever since the season started.....lol... why should anyone believe your going to change your opinion now?? DD is a lot better than you make him out to be....better than most of you make him out to be....It must hurt to see him actually turn out to be one of our best players!! DD and RG will be a formidable tandem --- my advice is to get used to it!

Comment

You guys are talking like Love is on the table which he isnt and never will be.... DeRozan is finally turning the corner, If stats determined allstar rather than popularity contest Gay and DeRozan would have been allstars this season, or at least DeRozan would.

Without a doubt there will be a fill of the 4 spot soon, Safe bet is no way in hell is DeRozan getting moved if this offensive combo continues.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post

This trade sucks for us -- plain and simple. I guess you guys can dream huh? DD is not yet an all-star and neither is Rudy Gay -- BUT they both have the potential to be all-stars....

I really like Millsap BUT i think you guys over value him....to be honest. I dont think TRoss is ready and i definitely dont think he is better than DD right now.... could he be better in the future?? Sure why not!? But your acting like thats a guarantee (self-explanatory).

To pretend that we can't have all 3 (Gay, DD and Ross) is just silly. Millsap will be a free agent, so will Jefferson.....why not use the amnesty on Andrea or LK and make a pitch for these guys after the season is over?? I would rather do that than to give up our second best player (3rd at worst)!!
          The Raptors are over the salary cap even if they amnesty Bargnani. So Millsap cannot become a Raptor if they do not trade for him before this year's deadline. If they do trade for him then the Raptors can resign their own players without cap implications (well they can get in luxury tax which is a different discussion).

And I do think that Millsap is better than DeMar (who I think is a near all-star too, and probably closer than DeMar).

The trade (and its just a fantasy) is essentially DeMar for Millsap. We upgrade our weakness (PF) with our strength (wing). Bargnani was included so we can get rid of his bloated contract without having to amnesty him. And as I mentioned as well earlier on - I'm in the camp where I would get rid of Bargnani even if he doesn't return an asset. Could be emotional speak but I believe that the team is better without Bargnani then they are with him.

Comment

You have been eating your words ever since the season started.....lol... why should anyone believe your going to change your opinion now?? DD is a lot better than you make him out to be....better than most of you make him out to be....It must hurt to see him actually turn out to be one of our best players!! DD and RG will be a formidable tandem --- my advice is to get used to it!
            lol, coming from the guy who wanted no part of Gay in Toronto.

And yes, I have better handles than DeRozan.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              The Raptors are over the salary cap even if they amnesty Bargnani. So Millsap cannot become a Raptor if they do not trade for him before this year's deadline. If they do trade for him then the Raptors can resign their own players without cap implications (well they can get in luxury tax which is a different discussion).

And I do think that Millsap is better than DeMar (who I think is a near all-star too, and probably closer than DeMar).

The trade (and its just a fantasy) is essentially DeMar for Millsap. We upgrade our weakness (PF) with our strength (wing). Bargnani was included so we can get rid of his bloated contract without having to amnesty him. And as I mentioned as well earlier on - I'm in the camp where I would get rid of Bargnani even if he doesn't return an asset. Could be emotional speak but I believe that the team is better without Bargnani then they are with him.
              First of all - I wouldnt compare Millsap and DD.....thats pretty silly. I would compare Millsap and Amir. Obviously Millsap is the better player right now BUT isnt Amir improving (all he needs to do is work on avoiding fouls at this point in his career)?? Keep in mind Amir is not only cheaper but almost 2 years younger than Millsap. You would trade DD for the right to MAYBE sign Millsap???.....got it!

I would NEVER do this trade EVER. DD wants to be here. He's talented and very young (23 years old). He's getting better every year. You can fantasize all you want, but i dont think Millsap will ever be an all-star and i dont see Demar going anywhere unless its for a legit all-star.

Comment

phiLLy wrote: View Post
                I think we should see how Bargs plays. Maybe Gay will have a good effect on him, and he'll play well and return to form? LOL.

I'm just delusional also.
                Good idea. It's a new team now and maybe Andrea will be a good fit? I guess we'll see tonight!!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  lol, coming from the guy who wanted no part of Gay in Toronto.

And yes, I have better handles than DeRozan.
                  Actually, I did warm up to Gay. I didnt want to give up Demar for him then and I dont want to give up Demar even more now (seeing the way Gay and DD can co-exist).

I have a better shot than Aaron Gray BUT who cares?? You and I are both the same - we both suck. Thats why we're behind a computer and not making millions playing on the court. lol

That still doesnt change the fact that Demar is one of our top two players and has the focus of the other teams defence EVERY night. What did you expect?? Maybe you werent realistic with your expectations of Demar..... Regardless, he's still better than you say he is.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    Let me get this straight, you'd only trade a non-all star and probably never will be (DD) for an all star? Huh? As for wanting to trade him? Well, here are my reasons (my own opinion):

1. BC can sell high. Demar is a good kid and was rewarded with a decent extension (personally I don't think he'll live up to it).

2. There's Ross (self-explanatory).

3. Fields is a superior rebounder and defender. Once his bloated contract expires, Ross takes over.

4. BC won't make this happen without assurances from Millsap that he'll sign an extension.

5. Both Dalembert and Tinsley are only for this year. Not long term, never will be.

6. Demar's game improving? Hmmm, his scoring was never in doubt but his ability to finish at the rim and by god, his dribbling? Wow. How many times did he lose the ball, or got stripped, etc? If I had a penny for everytime he lost the ball... wait a minute, there's no more pennies. Whatever. Sell high. Gay got reunited with his friend, Demar deserves to be with his boy in Jennings.
                    You actually question that Demar's game is improving? I don't know how anybody can watch games and not see that his hard work is paying dividends, but for the record:
                    1. His shooting percentages are up, across the board. Also note that he has shot 5/9 three pointers in his last 3 games. It's only 3 games, but it supports that he has been working on his shooting, and is improving.
                    2. His rebounding is up, his assists are up including averaging 5.5 his last 7 games
                    3. Losing the ball? Tell me a wing that handles the ball a lot that doesn't turn it over? As an example close to home, the new darling, Rudy, with only 1.5 more FGA's per game, has been turning the ball over once more per game. You could get a lot richer on pennies for Rudy's TOs, but that doesn't fit the narrative, does it? In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find starting wings in the league, that handle the ball as much, and don't turn the ball over even more.

Aside from that, I can't get over so many pushing for Millsap, and willing to give up both AB and DD for what could easily be a 2 month rental getting the team nowhere. He's a UFA at the end of the season, and no amount of verbal "assurances" that he'd like to stay is enough to give away assets like DD, or anybody else for that matter. There's no telling how he'd feel a few months later when other teams come calling. For example, what do you think would happen if the Bulls amnestied Boozer and went after Millsap? If you had a choice, would you go to the Bulls, with Rose and coach Thibs, or the Raps? Point being, Millsap could well say he'd like to stay, but words are cheap, and his view could change very drastically once free agency opens. IMO, it's total silliness to suggest giving up assets that could be turned into something far more valuable than a 2 month rental and a prayer that he stays. Insanity.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                      You actually question that Demar's game is improving? I don't know how anybody can watch games and not see that his hard work is paying dividends, but for the record:
                      1. His shooting percentages are up, across the board. Also note that he has shot 5/9 three pointers in his last 3 games. It's only 3 games, but it supports that he has been working on his shooting, and is improving.
                      2. His rebounding is up, his assists are up including averaging 5.5 his last 7 games
                      3. Losing the ball? Tell me a wing that handles the ball a lot that doesn't turn it over? As an example close to home, the new darling, Rudy, with only 1.5 more FGA's per game, has been turning the ball over once more per game. You could get a lot richer on pennies for Rudy's TOs, but that doesn't fit the narrative, does it? In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find starting wings in the league, that handle the ball as much, and don't turn the ball over even more.

Aside from that, I can't get over so many pushing for Millsap, and willing to give up both AB and DD for what could easily be a 2 month rental getting the team nowhere. He's a UFA at the end of the season, and no amount of verbal "assurances" that he'd like to stay is enough to give away assets like DD, or anybody else for that matter. There's no telling how he'd feel a few months later when other teams come calling. For example, what do you think would happen if the Bulls amnestied Boozer and went after Millsap? If you had a choice, would you go to the Bulls, with Rose and coach Thibs, or the Raps? Point being, Millsap could well say he'd like to stay, but words are cheap, and his view could change very drastically once free agency opens. IMO, it's total silliness to suggest giving up assets that could be turned into something far more valuable than a 2 month rental and a prayer that he stays. Insanity.
                      +1

Thank you VERY MUCH! Absolutely insane thinking going on right now from some fans!!

Comment

badbob wrote: View Post
                        We want a young power forward and a back up PG coming back in a return for Barg's. The team is young so why not look for a young PF to grow with the team not an old vet. like Gasol ! Maybe we can dump Kleiza or Fields to make the trade a little bigger. But I say stay away from Gasol trade!!! Please go young!!
                        We had a young PF & a back up PG just last .....never mind.

Comment

I agree. Demar has definitely improved. I think I maybe expected more of him. But so did many. However I think he plays good and we don't pay much respect to the fact that he WANTS TO PLAY for the Raptors(which isn't something usual,it is almost an unicorn)
                          I would never trade good asets for 2 months rental in Millsap as well. Verbal promises don't mean shit. Didn't we have verbal promises from Bosh ?
                          If we can get Millsap for Andrea + any of our scrubs - okay. Otherwise hell no. Derozan and Gay are turning into one of the most dynamic wing combos in the league. If I have to give up Derozan it would be for YOUNG all star with MORE potential. Anything less is stupid move.

Comment

We're all rushing too much.

Lets not fix, what we are unsure is broken. Bargs is a broken piece on the team before. With Gay in, Jose/Ed out, the dynamics have changed. So lets see if Bargs can embrace his new role.

Lowry could with his big ego, maybe Bargs can too. We'll see how it is, I mean, we sitll have time before the deadline, why not ride it out, and see what happens?

Why sell low? Sure, I'm for getting rid of him, but if it only brings back something worth-while. If not, then ship him out over summer, maybe he'll have a career year, who knows, there are many thing sthat can change. Yes, we've given him many chances, but this is the situation hes never been given (Not having to be 1st, or 2nd option, but coming off the bench)

Yes, he is an overpaid bench player. Who cares. His contract was given already, lets just use him as much as we can?

Comment

I'm hoping that your inability to read is only on the Internet. I said, "Once Fields' bloated contract is done, Ross comes in." Not once did I allude to the fact that Ross will be taking over NOW. BTW, Ross is pretty self explanatory, once Fields goes away - in 3 years. There's also the duplication of skill. Gay and DD cannot space the floor and neither can they really shoot the 3-rock. In 3 years, I'd like to think that Ross will have a better 3-point shot and as it stand right NOW, he's a way better perimeter defender that DD ever will! There I said it. Ross is a better defender the DD. Insert shock here.

As for the deal with Milwaukee and Utah, makes sense to me. Really makes sense to me.
                              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Please read #4 please. Please. Are deals made because the guy that's coming in will only be here as a rental? A cornerstone deal mind you? Your assumption that Boozer will be amnestied is conjecture. My post was based on a possibility for the respective scenarios with all 3 teams (Utah, Milwaukee and Toronto). You could've saved all of the second paragraph had you read my reason #4.
                                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                                X