Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Anderson getting this much mins? questions, questions, questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive been saying for weeks and months that this AA thing is going to end badly. And here we are.

I agree with some of the posters that AA brings solid D .. but he needs to STOP SHOOTING. And, he hasnt been "on a cold streak". Hes been a brutal shooter the whole year .. hovering around 33-38%. Not good by any measure.

T Ross at 5 mins is a COMPLETE joke. JV almost as bad. Sure, we are a little better with Gay .. but the only way this team succeeds is for Ross and JV to develop ..

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
      You can't just yank guys in and out of the lineup all the time. First it messes with a players confidence. Secondly, it's likely to alienate vets who will definitely tune a coach out if you screw with them too much. Players are creatures of habit and messing up those habits often does more harm than good. Finally, yanking a guy not only disrupts his flow but the flow of the units that train everyday to play with him. It's not as simple as plug and play. Why yank AA for his offence when the guy you'd replace him with, Ross, wasn't helping on offence OR defence? In a lineup with Lowry, Gay and Demar AA's defence is critical while his offence is an added bonus but not absolutely necessary.

I do think AA has some questionable shot selection and a bit of Mike James in him but there's a reason he's making the minimum and he's far more valuable than his contract.
      Winning teams have (at the most) a 9 man rotation.

You have your starters, main scorer/matchup problem off the bench, and the rest of the guys are there only because the others need a rest. That's basketball.

I'm saying that if anderson gets into a game, he is part of the last 3 that are only in their to give the other guys rest, and it really doesn't matter what his confidence is like because the success of our team does not hinge on whether or not he is confident.

this is exactly the point that I am trying to make.

and if he doesn't like it? who cares! there are a million alan andersons in the league. Get another one who knows his role.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
        Ive been saying for weeks and months that this AA thing is going to end badly. And here we are.

I agree with some of the posters that AA brings solid D .. but he needs to STOP SHOOTING. And, he hasnt been "on a cold streak". Hes been a brutal shooter the whole year .. hovering around 33-38%. Not good by any measure.

T Ross at 5 mins is a COMPLETE joke. JV almost as bad. Sure, we are a little better with Gay .. but the only way this team succeeds is for Ross and JV to develop ..
        +1
        We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

My guess is JV retakes his starting spot before the end of the season.

As for Anderson, I think the problem is he was a big part of when the Raps were winning games. He had to take a bunch of shots b/c there was no else that could. He was making a lot of those stupid shots he's been taking lately. He's got to learn to step back now and be more of a spot up shooter. And he is a decent defender BTW. Not great but good.

But yeah, i don't think it will stick. Prob have Fields and Ross get more minutes pretty soon.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
            and if he doesn't like it? who cares! there are a million alan andersons in the league. Get another one who knows his role.
            Agreed. I doubt the coaches are worried about losing Anderson's attention in the locker room. He is of zero importance as this team continues to build.

Comment

It would be somewhat difficult....

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
              We have serious rotation problems, and this is something which we couldn't really judge casey on last year for a bunch of reasons.

If you look at any championship team, playoff team, or even any functioning organization in any industry...there has to be a hierarchy. This is not debatable.

I can pick any team, but a good/easy example is OKC. Westbrook basically does whatever he wants on the court and clearly believes that he should be granted immunity as far as bad shots or any other bad decisions as the point guard of the team. But, because he is a top 10 player in the league he is actually allowed to do this on a nightly basis, so long as the team is winning. It doesn't matter how good Sefelosha, or Ibaka is feeling that night, they do not get to go up in the hierarchy. They stick to what they do defensively, and Westbrook does what he does.

BUT at the end of the game, or even during the game, if Durant wants the ball, he gets the ball. Westbrook won't say anything. Everyone knows he is a top two player on the planet and that not only is he the better player, but that the Team is better off if Durant takes the shot. If Westbrook does get to take it...it has to be ok with Durant first.

The problem with our team is that we need a 9 man rotation and DC is killing us with the inconsistent messages he is sending. It makes NO SENSE to start a guy like aaron gray, or at least give him more minutes than JVAL. It makes even less sense to play anderson over Ross.

so:
              JVAL, Bargs, Amir, Gay, Derozan, Lowry, Ross, Lucas (by default as a backup pg) and Fields should be the ones playing every night, no questions asked.

By playing anyone else, he is sending mixed messages to the guys that should be playing.

Most importantly, by mixing up the rotations and allowing guys like anderson to take 10 shots a game, he is not allowing us to maintain a hierarchy where we actually have some consistency on a nightly basis.

I know it's early, but this has been a problem all season (cough cough starting mcguire) and he needs to settle on a rotation and move on
              How exactly was Casey supposed to define a rotation with injuries to JVal, AB, Fields, Lowry, Pietrus, Kleiza, and the trade of Calderon and Davis? A bit difficult if not impossible. In addition if a line up wasn't working, sticking to it for the sake of player's psyches doesn't amount to a winning strategy in my opinion. I see Casey straddling the line of wins vs. young player development, and that's a franchise decision that needs to be made and moved forward with.

As far as hierarchies go, Durant does not 'want the ball' and 'get the ball' .... he receives the ball inside an offensive system that is built around his number of shots per game, that his teammates understand and buy into. If he's triple-teamed all game, the hierarchy doesn't mean shit ... he's not getting it, and there are other players able to score in his stead.

I will agree that the Raps need a defined rotation, but I see them moving towards that in the right way.

Comment

Any ESPN Insiders? I just saw this go up... http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post?id=1828

Insight into DC's playing time decisions concerning Ross & Valanciunas?!

Comment

The whole thing with giving him more minutes to up his value is really doing the opposite. He has been absolutely dreadful over the past month or so. Should have traded him when we had the chance.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    Anderson was on because your boy Derozan couldn't guard an 83 year-old, let alone Paul Pierce. As minks77 has suggested,

Just goes to show that most fans just don't see Defence beyond blocks and steals. Double A was playing tough as nails man D on PP the whole 4th q. Truth is known to be a late game player and when he started to look for his AA was right in his grill and wasn't bailing him out with fouls.

He's right...
                    Anderson didn't do shit. I'm not defending demar at all, he let courtney lee drive past him multiple times, his defense was shit. I don't know what defence your talking about on PP, i didn't see anything good from anderson last night. Ross needs to get more minutes off the bench.

Comment

Ross and Big V need more mins. I want to see JV! screw Gray let JV play

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        Ross and Big V need more mins. I want to see JV! screw Gray let JV play
                        This

Comment

Anderson

When ever he goes into one of his "I think i'm MJ modes" this is how I feel.
                          Deadallus

Comment

So hes been playing inconsistently. What else is new in the raptors camp? In the celtics game, gays fg% was almost as bad as Anderson's.

Comment

it's not so much his inconsistent shooting, its the poor shot choice. and not just from him, from gay, lowry, derozan. the team looks scared to drive against kg and the "big bad celtics". we end up hacking up some terrible contested shots from the worst spots.

i understand if the clock is winding down, but i swear, sometimes the shot choice, play calling, everything on the court leaves me questioning the tenacity and intesity of this team. with these wings, this team should be doing nothing but driving. post up against KG. even if you miss some shots, get JV, Aaron Gray, rudy, amir, any one to just post up and pound him. dude's 36, get physical with him. this is why we hate the celtics, every time the raptors play them, the celtics disrupt their game a little and they fold. they dont try to change it up, they dont try anything new. they just fold, almost like they accept that they're an inferior team that's ok with losing. we as fans can't put up with that.

hows that for a rant? :P
                              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

AA is playing because Casey loves his vets. He has last year and he has again this year. If Bargnani didn't get injured, Ed would never have gotten the minutes he did.

Casey also likes AA's defense. They are not showcasing him to trade him. He's a journey man, and if the Raptors are out of the playoffs they will probably waive him so that he can go to a contender like they did with Carter and Butler last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X