Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bargs Ain't So Bad...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bargs Ain't So Bad...

I've hated him for a while (still do) but last night's effort from him made me look at the positives

1. Arguably the best one on one post defender on the team
    2. Mobile big to spell Amir (instead of AIRon)
    3. 7 footer who can shoot 3's and score in bunches in limited minutes if he is on

as a 7th-9th man, why can't there be a place for him?

let the bashing begin!

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like we are going in circles with Barg's. Last year we hated him until he put together the "13" stretch and we loved him. We started this season with high expectations and he was a colossal disappointment. We've wanted him gone for weeks now while he rehabbed, now he is back and the roster is different, perhaps he has a place?

Personally, long-term he still has to be traded because the team needs a different direction. But in the meantime, I think he can play very well as the 3rd or 4th option on the team. He has the shooting to space the floor for Gay, Lowry, and Demar to crash the hoop. He can still defend 1v1 in the post and still can't rotate to help. For all the negatives of late, if he can play well in a reduced role then I have no problem keeping for this year (and maybe next year). Bargnani would be an interesting player to have on an expiring contract in a couple of years. Size, shooting and cap space?

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

sigh.......

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    sigh.......
    HAHA! this thread was for you Craiger!

seriously though...the main message here is: why is there any significance being put on what happens to our second or third guy coming off the bench? Thats the way I look at it

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He was okay. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, and purge our guilt too early. He had 3 rebounds, and 12 points, couldn't hit an open 3pt shot. if this is the moment where we drop to our knees and beg for forgiveness, than sadly we are still attached with an umbilical cord to this man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    He was okay. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, and purge our guilt too early. He had 3 rebounds, and 12 points, couldn't hit an open 3pt shot. if this is the moment where we drop to our knees and beg for forgiveness, than sadly we are still attached with an umbilical cord to this man.
    12 points isn't that bad considering the lay-off he had. Couldn't take shooting practice for 7 weeks and started 4 of 5 from the field. Struggled as the game progressed, but msot players do coming off extended injuries. Overall, a very good game for all things considered.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

This is so Canadian.

He shows a little bit of his talent after sitting out for 2 months and not doing his job, and all of a sudden there is an urge to appreciate him again.

12 points would be half of what we expect from him had he not been injured.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    HAHA! this thread was for you Craiger!

seriously though...the main message here is: why is there any significance being put on what happens to our second or third guy coming off the bench? Thats the way I look at it

To the bolded - putting financial issues aside (which are still important), there should unquestionably be less importance put on players with smaller roles than those with larger roles. But, this organization has yet to prove they actually view Bargnani any different than the always have. I know Colangelo has said alot in regards to Bargnani or this team, but he always says alot without it necessarily being reflected on the court or how he runs the organization.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bargnani is actually a great player when he is invested when he isnt chucking and choosing when to take shots hes dangerous and his one on one defense is actually really good, its the switches and helping he sucks with. If he wasnt soaking up so much Green he would likely be easier to move and be a good keep honestly but as it is now! no hes gotta go we moved Calderon the last remainder of our losing culture is still here with Bargnani, I want the Raps to start next season fresh and see more games like that LA Clippers one cause the base pieces are there to do that night in night out but theres more pieces on the team at the moment that dont fit that style.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Bargnani is actually a great player when he is invested when he isnt chucking and choosing when to take shots hes dangerous and his one on one defense is actually really good, its the switches and helping he sucks with. If he wasnt soaking up so much Green he would likely be easier to move and be a good keep honestly but as it is now! no hes gotta go we moved Calderon the last remainder of our losing culture is still here with Bargnani, I want the Raps to start next season fresh and see more games like that LA Clippers one cause the base pieces are there to do that night in night out but theres more pieces on the team at the moment that dont fit that style.

What about the Young Gunz?? Demar??? he wasn't exactly helping us win

Post Thanks / Like

Quote drunkmunky wrote: View Post
    Yes, but that is exactly the point. He was injured and played reasonably well in his return. We desperately need some shooting the line-up to space the floor, and Bargnani can fill that roll.

Once healthy, I'd be happy if Barg's scored 16 pts as long as he is shooting around 46% and playing minutes suitable for his new role.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he played alright in his return.

If he can avg 16/3/3, or something like that, I can't complain? Maybe another board or two, but his minutes I assume would be somewhere around the 25 minute a game mark, that's pretty decent, no?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote drunkmunky wrote: View Post
    This is so Canadian.

He shows a little bit of his talent after sitting out for 2 months and not doing his job, and all of a sudden there is an urge to appreciate him again.

You are responsible for your own expectations. Not Bargs.

Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    +1. Those 13 games are the measuring stick now. He CAN play, he just doesn't do it often enough. Early in his career he was also a much better passer but that stopped when he became our #1 scoring option. It's not like he has no future at all, just shouldn't have one with the Raptors.

Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Yes, but that is exactly the point. He was injured and played reasonably well in his return. We desperately need some shooting the line-up to space the floor, and Bargnani can fill that roll.

Once healthy, I'd be happy if Barg's scored 16 pts as long as he is shooting around 46% and playing minutes suitable for his new role.
    Points are subjective. If he's scoring 16 on 46% shooting while stopping the ball and giving up easy buckets on the defensive end he's not a big help. He can be, but has to be within the team scheme.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I look at this strictly from a trade value point of view. Bargs trade value is at an all-time low, so even his biggest haters have no choice but to root for him, if for no other reason than it increases his trade value. Perfect example is the Gay-Jose-Ed trade.

In the pre-season, we were talking about outright amnesty for Jose to make room for Nash and people were OK with that. Bargs was considered our franchise player. Ed Davis was considred redundant to Amir, a non-favourite of Dwayne Casey and barely in the rotation. Yet, Jose played lights out and in fact also helped increase the value of Ed Davis, which only happened because of Bargs injury. So, the perception of value can change rapidly in the NBA.

So there's the strategy for Raptors fans and media. Let's all grit our teeth and heap massive praise on Bargs at every possible chance..... until he's finally traded.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, he's as good as gone. Let's not get too analytical here (it's a pointless exercise). The bottom line is that Bargnani has all the ability in the world to be a great player, but doesn't have the drive to make it a habit. Why expect anything different after 7 years of the same?

The Bargnani chapter has been written, and we're just waiting for a trade partner to close it out...whether it's this year, or next.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Guys, he's as good as gone. Let's not get too analytical here (it's a pointless exercise). The bottom line is that Bargnani has all the ability in the world to be a great player, but doesn't have the drive to make it a habit. Why expect anything different after 7 years of the same?

The Bargnani chapter has been written, and we're just waiting for a trade partner to close it out...whether it's this year, or next.
    +1

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bargnani has never proved to me that he has the fitness to be effective in extended minutes. I've been watching him closely from last season, and his effectiveness always goes down while the mistakes (especially on defense) go up while the game progresses.

That being said, without a doubt, for a portion of the celtics game he is an above average/elite offensive talent, and displayed average/good defensive effort, the best I've seen from him all season. I hope he can build on that game, and improve his fitness as the season comes to a close, Im not holding my breath. And I wouldn't feel any regret if he was traded to help us require an already proven stretch four like millsap or josh smith.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    Bargnani has never proved to me that he has the fitness to be effective in extended minutes. I've been watching him closely from last season, and his effectiveness always goes down while the mistakes (especially on defense) go up while the game progresses.

That being said, without a doubt, for a portion of the celtics game he is an above average/elite offensive talent, and displayed average/good defensive effort, the best I've seen from him all season. I hope he can build on that game, and improve his fitness as the season comes to a close, Im not holding my breath. And I wouldn't feel any regret if he was traded to help us require an already proven stretch four like millsap or josh smith.
    maybe they need to take primo off the pasta & get him on a vegan diet or some shit...LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information