Terrence Ross is over-rated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrence Ross is over-rated.

I don't get why people say this kid is untouchable. I know he's athletic and could develop into a nice piece, but has anyone looked at his stats? His shooting is terrible and that's supposed to be his best trait (41% fg, 33% 3 pt). His handles are average at best, he doesn't have any size advantage at his postion, his defense, while better than expected, has not been great, and he's already showing an alarming desire to take long shots instead of trying to drive. He's average at best for a first rounder.

I'm not saying that Ross can't become a nice player, I think he could even be a starter eventually if he works hard, but the only reason you make a young player untouchable is if he looks like he is going to become a star for you, and that is not Ross.

His trade value is very high, and I think that if you get an oppurtunity to improve your team by using him in a package with a high priced player, you do it.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

He is a skilled 2 way SG.

They are a rare breed these days.

It is all about the potential.

Comment

He isn't overrated at all. He's underrated. He isn't playing in the rookie-sophomore game, he barely got into the dunk contest, and almost no one knows of him *prior to his dunk selection* in the states.

Ross is valued for his natural athleticism, his talent, and his potential. For all we know he could end up like Ed Davis in 2-3 years, but at that point, maybe we can trade for another Rudy Gay?

Comment

meh. Drummond is potential.

Ross is a shooter brought in to produce immediately. He is no where as good as is being made out here. If he turns out to be as good as Demar i will call that a success. If we were willing to wait a few years to develop youngsters we would not have handed those big contracts out to league average players. We would have accumulated draft picks. Look at GS - Steph Curry, Klay Thomson and Harrison Barnes. That should have been our model. Ross is very much expendable IMO.

Comment

His floor is an average threepointshooter with good D; that's a guaranteed spot in the league for 10 years. The great thing about Ross is that (in my opinion) very solid floor while he also has quite some upside. That's not average for a first rounder. He might not become a star, but he will become a player that can start in teams that are build in almost any way possible as I think he will become a very well rounded player who can shoot, rebound and defend. If he develops creating his own shot and his passing he'll become a star.

Comment

T-Ross to be like DD? I'd be ecstatic if that happens. I'm half expecting we pay him a retarded contract only for him to flop.

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
              He isn't overrated at all. He's underrated. He isn't playing in the rookie-sophomore game, he barely got into the dunk contest, and almost no one knows of him *prior to his dunk selection* in the states.

Ross is valued for his natural athleticism, his talent, and his potential. For all we know he could end up like Ed Davis in 2-3 years, but at that point, maybe we can trade for another Rudy Gay?
              Is that a good or bad thing from your perspective? I was neither impressed nor depressed about Ed's progress. He's a good kid and I hope he will do well in Memphis if given a chance to play.

I think Terrence Ross is overrated in the sense that many are evaluating on potential rather that what he can currently do on the floor. In other words, thinking he is better than, say, Alan Anderson because he has more perceived potential. While I really like Terrence's potential and think Anderson's ceiling is at best a rotation player, I acknowledge that Anderson is currently the better player.

All this to say I am OK with Alan Anderson playing more minutes than Terrence Ross at this time.

Keep in mind I believe players learn more in practices than in games and thus I do not worry about lack of playing time hinders player development.

Comment

WOW this thread is beyond ridiculous. Guarantee all you guys who are bad mouthing TROSS will eat your words. Threads like this make me ashamed to be in the same boat as you so called "Raptors Fans." Ross barely gets any burn and you want to look at his stats? GTFOH! ***..
                We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

the stroke is pure, the athleticism boundless, the defense inspired...percentages will come when he takes better shots. His shot selection is an area of weakness...however...he is a rookie, so if that's the THING you need to fix with him, you could do a lot worse
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

is this a Troll thread or what?? T.Ross Has as much upside as any rookie weve had in some time.. his # this season arent indicative of that but u have to remember he IS a ROOKIE!!! & he doesnt get consistant minutes game to game!! give him minutes on the floor & watch this kid develop quickly!!! hes already light years ahead of alot of NBA rooks on the Defensive end!

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                      Is that a good or bad thing from your perspective? I was neither impressed nor depressed about Ed's progress. He's a good kid and I hope he will do well in Memphis if given a chance to play.

If he has the same progress as Ed Davis, I'd be a very happy fan.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                        is this a Troll thread or what?? T.Ross Has as much upside as any rookie weve had in some time.. his # this season arent indicative of that but u have to remember he IS a ROOKIE!!! & he doesnt get consistant minutes game to game!! give him minutes on the floor & watch this kid develop quickly!!! hes already light years ahead of alot of NBA rooks on the Defensive end!
                        +1

Comment

I actually think the dunk contest will go a long way in helping Ross with his confidence. I'm betting we'll see a noticeably different player to finish the season.

Comment

I am not bad mouthing T.Ross. All I am saying is I will throw him and everything we got if someone like K.Irving or Kevin Love comes available.

Comment

He's not overrated. I think his glaring weaknesses are pretty obvious including to himself. Why I like him a lot? Not the dunks or the occasional 3's. It's his D. He has tremendous lateral quickness and keeps his man in front of him well. Demar can only be so jealous. He is the team's best perimeter defender, along with Rudy Gay.
                              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                              X