No announcement yet.

Terrence Ross is over-rated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definitely evaluate Ross on his potential. Because honestly, his high-end potential is rare and super-valuable. There's only a handful of guys in the league who can defend the wing at a high level and shoot threes. Add in his athleticism, his nose around the offensive glass, his ability to create and finish transition opportunities, and the potential is there for a really special player. The great thing about all of these skills is that he doesn't need to dominate the ball to have a huge impact in a basketball game. He could become the sort of player who can coexist and thrive playing alongside guys like Gay and Lowry. I don't think he has as high a ceiling as DeRozan in terms of PPG, but has a much higher ceiling in terms of overall impact and value.

But I don't have a problem if Casey limits his minutes on nights when he doesn't lock-in defensively, as was the case against Boston. I like that he got big minutes at the end of the game against Miami, even if that lineup (Lowry, Ross, DeRozan, Gay, Johnson) really faltered. I would prefer that Casey run more plays for him early in the game to give him more of a chance to get into a groove.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
      I am not bad mouthing T.Ross. All I am saying is I will throw him and everything we got if someone like K.Irving or Kevin Love comes available.
      How does that make Ross "overrated" though?

All it means is that you'd trade a good young player with lots of skill/potential, for an even better young player that has even more skill/potential. That's just common sense, which has nothing to do with under/over-rating a player.

It sounds to me like people don't have any concern with him being "overrated", but rather take issue with BC referring to him as "untouchable". To those people, I would say take BC's words with a grain of salt; "untouchable" is a relative term, it doesn't mean that BC would never trade Ross, just that it would take another "untouchable" player coming back in return.
      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Feb 8, 2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Ross came into the league as a shooter. What he didn't come into the league as is a player who had any experience with the speed of the game, the ability of the nightly opponents, or much time shooting from the NBA 3 pt arc. He takes a lot of shots from well back of the arc because he feels he has to get his shot off fast. His team mates don't really know what to expect from him in game situations because 1: He has played with a constantly rotating series of team mates due to injuries, line-up shuffles etc.
        2: He hasn't had much game time.
        3: He has hit a bit of a wall, with the travel and constant game play/practice days
        4: He has gotten a little over-anxious because of 1, 2 and 3.

We haven't seen near the top of what he is capable of. I am already looking forward to next year, with a summer to work on his game, now that he knows what he needs to work on.

Comment

He needs consistent minutes to develop. He is not receiving them at present.

Ship AA to parts elsewhere!
          Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

Individual player development happens in the off season, not mid-season. He's still a rookie. Let him play and divert your expectations his sophomore year.

Comment

I think T Ross now is like Marshoon Brooks a season ago. He also had huge potential but so far he hasn't really developed as expected. Yes - he doesn't have the handles of Brooks but he has got more hops.I would love to see him develop - BUT he may never develop. There are many players with potential but the rare ones are those who work really hard,are put in the right system,don't get seiously injured etc.

Comment

I think Terrence Ross can be looked upon as overrated for the simple reason that he's considered untouchable.

I don't think the Raptors, in their best interest, should trade Terrence Ross. I think it would be a big mistake to do so.. in fact I think Ross has a higher potential of becoming a good player than JV does. But anyway, when I read about how we are trying to improve the team and move pieces around and Terrence Ross is "untouchable" that comes across to me as nutso.

In that particular sense, he's overrated by Colangelo. But in every other sense, this thread just seems like trolling to me
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

Terrence Ross shooting Analysis

I'd like to delve (a little) into his shooting percentages from different areas.

First of all, I think people overrate the percentage of shots a player should make. If you don't take into account shots at the rim, the average league percentage in every area is below 40%! Source Of course you'd like all players to only take shots at the rim, but I'm pretty sure we all agree that's not happening.

A very high percentage of his shots, almost 47%, are from threepointrange. Clearly this has a huge impact on his overall shooting percentage. And clearly this is by design; the team wants him to spread the floor and take threes. His 3pt% from above the break is around the league average of 36%. It's his corner three which drags his 3pt% so far, but he has shot less of them (13,6% against 33% above the break). Source The gap between being a league average 3pt shooter and Ross isn't very high. It's not like teams can gameplan around it and give him the three because it gives them a better shot at winning. With Ross' volume, it's 1 make or miss more about every 12 games ...

Inside upside!
                  One thing to love about Ross is his shooting percentage at the rim and the way he gets them (of course it's early days in his career, so there is a small sample size alert). Looking at the stats of nba.com, he finishes an amazing 72% of his shots around the rim. That's territory few players get to.

Looking further into these numbers at hoopdata is also interesting. I looked at shooting guards playing at least 30 games. Hoopdata has him at 80%, maybe because it is only updated through february 3th (the dropoff reïnforces the small sample size idea, but either percentage would be very high). On hoopdata he ranks second among shooting guards (this would not be very different looking at all players by the way). But in the top 10 he has the smallest percentage off shots assisted which means he's very good on break-outs and/or he creates them himself. Both are promising. Source

Right now he's only taking about 17% of his shots at the rim and getting that up would probably mean some regression in percentage. But even with some regression he just might be a high percentage finisher around the rim. Couple that with an even slightly improved outside shot and he will be a very dangerous offensive player!

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    I think Terrence Ross can be looked upon as overrated for the simple reason that he's considered untouchable.

In that particular sense, he's overrated by Colangelo
                    . But in every other sense, this thread just seems like trolling to me
                    This is really what I was getting at, I've repeatedly seen people post about how we can't trade this guy and read that Colangelo had deemed him untouchable, and he's done nothing to warrant that. He's got some potential surely, but I think there are some poeple who are massively overvaluing him.

Joey Graham looked pretty athletic and shot threes in his rookie year too. Now that's trolling!
                    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                      This is really what I was getting at, I've repeatedly seen people post about how we can't trade this guy and read that Colangelo had deemed him untouchable, and he's done nothing to warrant that. He's got some potential surely, but I think there are some poeple who are massively overvaluing him.

Joey Graham looked pretty athletic and shot threes in his rookie year too. Now that's trolling!
                      Haha.. Joey Graham had no basketball IQ at all.. but I know you're just finding an example.

That's exactly the problem. You can't deem a guy untouchable this early in his career. It could come back and bite us in the arse but then again you could also look back and think holy $!@# we could had that guy!

So there are things like that where you cannot make a guy untouchable unless you are absolutely sure he is the real deal, and with Terrence Ross you simply cannot know he's the real deal yet.

All said I do like him a lot. It has to be a really good deal, for example trading for a guy you envision Terrence Ross could become (not the ceiling, but close to it), or another such prospect similar to him.
                      Last edited by ebrian; Fri Feb 8, 2013, 03:55 PM.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

Hilariously ignorant thread
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I think that is a fair statement.

The reality is though, Terrence Ross by himself is not going to bring you in a Kevin Love talent and the Raptors don't have the other assets to make a package to get a talent like that.

The types of players the Raptors have been discussing - Gay, Gasol, Boozer - are not worth giving him up for when you consider other teams issues and reasons for seeking trades.

Then there are the unrestricted free agents (Jefferson, Millsap, Smith) who could bolt so you aren't going to give up any assets to make those trades either considering they could leave in 5 months.

Looking at the Raptors roster and Ross also provides a skill set no other player can match and certainly not for his price over the rest of this season and the following 3.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I think that is a fair statement.

The reality is though, Terrence Ross by himself is not going to bring you in a Kevin Love talent and the Raptors don't have the other assets to make a package to get a talent like that.

The types of players the Raptors have been discussing - Gay, Gasol, Boozer - are not worth giving him up for when you consider other teams issues and reasons for seeking trades.

Then there are the unrestricted free agents (Jefferson, Millsap, Smith) who could bolt so you aren't going to give up any assets to make those trades either considering they could leave in 5 months.

Looking at the Raptors roster and Ross also provides a skill set no other player can match and certainly not for his price over the rest of this season and the following 3.
                            Agree with everthing here. If Josh Smith would sign an extension, would you trade Ross and Bargs for him? Just wondering what you see as his value. I'd probably do that deal.
                            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Agree with everthing here. If Josh Smith would sign an extension, would you trade Ross and Bargs for him? Just wondering what you see as his value. I'd probably do that deal.
                              Honestly, I don't know.

50/50

Smith is looking for a max and I don't think he is worth that.

Comment

Amazing shot form, with range ... crazy athleticism ... defensive commitment ... this thought in your head?It was over-rated.
                                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Working...
                                X