Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raptors vs plus .500 teams

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors vs plus .500 teams

After starting the year 1-17 vs. plus .500 teams (I think that is right, someone can correct me if wrong), the Raptors are now 2-2 vs. plus .500 teams since Gay's donning of Raptor gear.

Breaking down the games, we see:

LAC: blowout win.
    MIA: 3 point game with 4 mins left.... let us forget the rest.
    BOS: 4 point loss.
    IND: tough OT, 2 point win.

I see reason for optimism beyond this season. I think Lowry is better than he is playing now. The Lowry that started the year (3 games is a small sample but also based on previous 2 seasons) is the Lowry I hope returns to Toronto soon. Then add in another quality big and the Raptors are looking good. If Gay can find his 3pt stroke (not to mention Fields), the Raptors are looking very good. His struggles shooting perplexes me because he does have such a nice stroke.

What do you think?
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimism starting since Gay's arrival, all the way till he is gone. This guy is a potential superstar, and he's right under the best.

Eastern Conference small forwards:

1. LeBron James
    2. Carmelo Anthony
    3. Paul George
    4. Paul Pierce
    5. Rudy Gay
    6. Luol Deng

Post Thanks / Like

If Gay and Derozan can improve their shooting (or shot selection), I see this making it to the playoffs next year.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Optimism starting since Gay's arrival, all the way till he is gone. This guy is a potential superstar, and he's right under the best.

Eastern Conference small forwards:

1. LeBron James
    2. Carmelo Anthony
    3. Paul George
    4. Paul Pierce
    5. Rudy Gay
    6. Luol Deng
    I don't believe Paul George is better than him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote matt wrote: View Post
    If Gay and Derozan can improve their shooting (or shot selection), I see this making it to the playoffs next year.
    There is no question in my mind this current team is a playoff team next year. If this team was together since the start of the year, they would be in the playoffs in my opinion. First round exits are hardly anything to brag about or get excited about.... well, maybe for a Raptors fan but hopefully you know what I mean.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    There is no question in my mind this current team is a playoff team next year. If this team was together since the start of the year, they would be in the playoffs in my opinion. First round exits are hardly anything to brag about or get excited about.... well, maybe for a Raptors fan but hopefully you know what I mean.
    Yep, but the first goal is to get this team to the playoffs and give them that first hand experience, even if it a 5 game first round exit. Look at the Pacers and what it took for them to be an elite team in the east. Playoff experience can do wonders to a young squad the following year.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there's no question barring any serious injuries that this is a playoff calibre team. The goal should be to become more then that in the upcoming years though. I hope we can atleast become more then a first round exit team in the coming years.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Paul George is definitely better than him right now. George is one of the better all around players in the league but is still underrated. Keep in mind with granger gone the majority of those wins have been credited to paul George

But to the thread. Raptors are 100% a playoff team. Too bad they became one too late to make the playoffs this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Rudy Gay probably is a better talent than Paul George (if it weren't for stupid snubs, Gay would have two all-star nods [2011 & 2012]). BUT, going from this year, I would say George is the better player, so let me re-make my list.

1. LeBron James
    2. Carmelo Anthony
    3. Paul George
    4. Rudy Gay
    5. Luol Deng
    6. Paul Pierce

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, but the first goal is to get this team to the playoffs and give them that first hand experience, even if it a 5 game first round exit. Look at the Pacers and what it took for them to be an elite team in the east. Playoff experience can do wonders to a young squad the following year.
    I think the signing of David West had more to do with the success than the experience. I don't doubt the experience was beneficial but West was the bigger reason, in my opinion.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

I think the signing of David West had more to do with the success than the experience. I don't doubt the experience was beneficial but West was the bigger reason, in my opinion.
    I somewhat agree. They added talent, but they improved over time to get to the post-season.

I know this example has been used HUNDREDS of times, but OKC didn't add anyone but drafting their way to the playoffs.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

DD needs to be a little more selective in his shot selection.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder, is Indiana over the salary cap?
    #FREE

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

They are over the cap, under the tax if that makes sense. They have an exception.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/indiana-pacers-team-salary/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    They are over the cap, under the tax if that makes sense. They have an exception.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/indiana-pacers-team-salary/
    Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    I wonder, is Indiana over the salary cap?
    They were one of the teams with considerable flexibility until Hibbert's contract extension kicked in this season. Remember they had the cap space to take on Barbo with no salary coming back last year.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Too soon...

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

put a pg infront of Lucas and yes no doubt it would be.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Rudy Gay probably is a better talent than Paul George (if it weren't for stupid snubs, Gay would have two all-star nods [2011 & 2012]). BUT, going from this year, I would say George is the better player, so let me re-make my list.

1. LeBron James
    2. Carmelo Anthony
    3. Paul George
    4. Rudy Gay
    5. Luol Deng
    6. Paul Pierce
    I think Gay is a better scorer than George. George though i think is a better 'overall' player than Gay. Better rebounder, assist man and defender. Though i would have to say from what i've seen, Gay is very underrated defensively.

I think it's very close. I'd give the slight edge to George because he's an all-star this year.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

After starting the year 1-17 vs. plus .500 teams (I think that is right, someone can correct me if wrong), the Raptors are now 2-2 vs. plus .500 teams since Gay's donning of Raptor gear.

Breaking down the games, we see:

LAC: blowout win.
    MIA: 3 point game with 4 mins left.... let us forget the rest.
    BOS: 4 point loss.
    IND: tough OT, 2 point win.

I see reason for optimism beyond this season. I think Lowry is better than he is playing now. The Lowry that started the year (3 games is a small sample but also based on previous 2 seasons) is the Lowry I hope returns to Toronto soon. Then add in another quality big and the Raptors are looking good. If Gay can find his 3pt stroke (not to mention Fields), the Raptors are looking very good. His struggles shooting perplexes me because he does have such a nice stroke.

What do you think?

I think the most optimistic sign of the raptors improvement might be your waning hashtags . JV and TRoss got some ride last night....might raptor fans soon be free? And, dare I say it, with a few more strong performances, the final hashtag may fall? I say it as a joke but those are all good signs

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

When they showed the key matchup last night, between Gay and George, Rudy's numbers were only a tiny bit worse than George's in every category they showed. And this is what everyone agrees is Gay's worst season. So I think that's encouraging. Especially since everyone seems to be on the George bandwagon these days.

Maybe someone can post a comparison of their stats

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information