X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too soon...

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      There is no question in my mind this current team is a playoff team next year. If this team was together since the start of the year, they would be in the playoffs in my opinion. First round exits are hardly anything to brag about or get excited about.... well, maybe for a Raptors fan but hopefully you know what I mean.
      put a pg infront of Lucas and yes no doubt it would be.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        Rudy Gay probably is a better talent than Paul George (if it weren't for stupid snubs, Gay would have two all-star nods [2011 & 2012]). BUT, going from this year, I would say George is the better player, so let me re-make my list.

1. LeBron James
        2. Carmelo Anthony
        3. Paul George
        4. Rudy Gay
        5. Luol Deng
        6. Paul Pierce
        I think Gay is a better scorer than George. George though i think is a better 'overall' player than Gay. Better rebounder, assist man and defender. Though i would have to say from what i've seen, Gay is very underrated defensively.

I think it's very close. I'd give the slight edge to George because he's an all-star this year.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

After starting the year 1-17 vs. plus .500 teams (I think that is right, someone can correct me if wrong), the Raptors are now 2-2 vs. plus .500 teams since Gay's donning of Raptor gear.

Breaking down the games, we see:

LAC: blowout win.
          MIA: 3 point game with 4 mins left.... let us forget the rest.
          BOS: 4 point loss.
          IND: tough OT, 2 point win.

I see reason for optimism beyond this season. I think Lowry is better than he is playing now. The Lowry that started the year (3 games is a small sample but also based on previous 2 seasons) is the Lowry I hope returns to Toronto soon. Then add in another quality big and the Raptors are looking good. If Gay can find his 3pt stroke (not to mention Fields), the Raptors are looking very good. His struggles shooting perplexes me because he does have such a nice stroke.

What do you think?

I think the most optimistic sign of the raptors improvement might be your waning hashtags . JV and TRoss got some ride last night....might raptor fans soon be free? And, dare I say it, with a few more strong performances, the final hashtag may fall? I say it as a joke but those are all good signs

Comment

When they showed the key matchup last night, between Gay and George, Rudy's numbers were only a tiny bit worse than George's in every category they showed. And this is what everyone agrees is Gay's worst season. So I think that's encouraging. Especially since everyone seems to be on the George bandwagon these days.

Maybe someone can post a comparison of their stats

Comment

After starting the year 1-17 vs. plus .500 teams (I think that is right, someone can correct me if wrong), the Raptors are now 2-2 vs. plus .500 teams since Gay's donning of Raptor gear.

Breaking down the games, we see:

LAC: blowout win.
              MIA: 3 point game with 4 mins left.... let us forget the rest.
              BOS: 4 point loss.
              IND: tough OT, 2 point win.

I see reason for optimism beyond this season. I think Lowry is better than he is playing now. The Lowry that started the year (3 games is a small sample but also based on previous 2 seasons) is the Lowry I hope returns to Toronto soon. Then add in another quality big and the Raptors are looking good. If Gay can find his 3pt stroke (not to mention Fields), the Raptors are looking very good. His struggles shooting perplexes me because he does have such a nice stroke.

What do you think?
              Definitely too soon, especially when you throw in that the Clips didn't have Paul and played like total garbage. There are some reasons for optimism, and with expected growth from JV and Ross, I think playoffs are a safe bet next year, even if it just means a low seed and getting creamed.
              Would we have been a playoff team this year? Well, Bargs might have still gotten injured and we wouldn't have had Ed Davis. Same thing when Lowry went down Lucas would have possibly been our starter at times....*shivers* I think we still would have struggled to stay afloat, and with depth lacking, may have actually done worse.

In the end, the real improvement on this team depends on JV and Ross (to a lesser extent right now with Gay and Demar there). And there are still huge questions at PG, where Lowry has yet to regularly provide what the team needs...and I don't mean passing, I just mean the general quality of his play. If Bargs can be turned into assets that help us now and/or keep the team a bit more flexible moving forward, then I do think seeing JV/Ross taking a big step and rounding out the roster is a likely goal for Gay's final contract year. If by that time JV is averaging something ilke 15 and 10, and Ross brings a JR Smith type dimension (with better D and more sanity) off the bench, then they can talk about more than just being a first round playoff exit.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                I think Gay is a better scorer than George. George though i think is a better 'overall' player than Gay. Better rebounder, assist man and defender. Though i would have to say from what i've seen, Gay is very underrated defensively.

I think it's very close. I'd give the slight edge to George because he's an all-star this year.
                And that's my thinking. George is having a better overall season, but Gay is no doubt the better talent.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                  Optimism starting since Gay's arrival, all the way till he is gone. This guy is a potential superstar, and he's right under the best.

Eastern Conference small forwards:

1. LeBron James
                  2. Carmelo Anthony
                  3. Paul George
                  4. Paul Pierce
                  5. Rudy Gay
                  6. Luol Deng
                  And Pierce is historically better than him but would you rather have old Pierce or young Gay on our team right now.

Comment

I think Gay vs. George comparison isn't fair because Rudy was improperly utilized in Memphis as we're seeing here. That's why he's added almost eight points per game since he's been here. His shooting percentage is better here...the last game was unfortunate...so if he had been with us since the beginning of the season putting up these kind of numbers is he a better player than George? I think there is a case for that.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                      I think the most optimistic sign of the raptors improvement might be your waning hashtags . JV and TRoss got some ride last night....might raptor fans soon be free? And, dare I say it, with a few more strong performances, the final hashtag may fall? I say it as a joke but those are all good signs
                      #tradeBargnani will NEVER die.... NEEEEEVER!

Comment

Another win vs. plus .500 team.

3-2 with Gay playing vs. 1-18.

Comment

Another win vs. plus .500 team.

3-2 with Gay playing vs. 1-18.
                          4-2 now.

#RUDYGAYEFFECT
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Update:

After starting year 1-18 vs. plus .500 teams Raps w/ Gay now 6-3 with 3 close losses.

Comment

Update:

After starting year 1-18 vs. plus .500 teams Raps w/ Gay now 6-3 with 3 close losses.
                              Sweeeeeeeeet!!!

Comment

Update:

Reasons for optimism definitely becoming more legitimate. Some big games the last couple of weeks...BIG games.

Comment

Working...
                                X