Raptors vs plus .500 teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors vs plus .500 teams

After starting the year 1-17 vs. plus .500 teams (I think that is right, someone can correct me if wrong), the Raptors are now 2-2 vs. plus .500 teams since Gay's donning of Raptor gear.

Breaking down the games, we see:

LAC: blowout win.
    MIA: 3 point game with 4 mins left.... let us forget the rest.
    BOS: 4 point loss.
    IND: tough OT, 2 point win.

I see reason for optimism beyond this season. I think Lowry is better than he is playing now. The Lowry that started the year (3 games is a small sample but also based on previous 2 seasons) is the Lowry I hope returns to Toronto soon. Then add in another quality big and the Raptors are looking good. If Gay can find his 3pt stroke (not to mention Fields), the Raptors are looking very good. His struggles shooting perplexes me because he does have such a nice stroke.

What do you think?

Optimism starting since Gay's arrival, all the way till he is gone. This guy is a potential superstar, and he's right under the best.

Eastern Conference small forwards:

1. LeBron James
    2. Carmelo Anthony
    3. Paul George
    4. Paul Pierce
    5. Rudy Gay
    6. Luol Deng
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

If Gay and Derozan can improve their shooting (or shot selection), I see this making it to the playoffs next year.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        Optimism starting since Gay's arrival, all the way till he is gone. This guy is a potential superstar, and he's right under the best.

Eastern Conference small forwards:

1. LeBron James
        2. Carmelo Anthony
        3. Paul George
        4. Paul Pierce
        5. Rudy Gay
        6. Luol Deng
        I don't believe Paul George is better than him.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

matt wrote: View Post
          If Gay and Derozan can improve their shooting (or shot selection), I see this making it to the playoffs next year.
          There is no question in my mind this current team is a playoff team next year. If this team was together since the start of the year, they would be in the playoffs in my opinion. First round exits are hardly anything to brag about or get excited about.... well, maybe for a Raptors fan but hopefully you know what I mean.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            There is no question in my mind this current team is a playoff team next year. If this team was together since the start of the year, they would be in the playoffs in my opinion. First round exits are hardly anything to brag about or get excited about.... well, maybe for a Raptors fan but hopefully you know what I mean.
            Yep, but the first goal is to get this team to the playoffs and give them that first hand experience, even if it a 5 game first round exit. Look at the Pacers and what it took for them to be an elite team in the east. Playoff experience can do wonders to a young squad the following year.

Comment

I think there's no question barring any serious injuries that this is a playoff calibre team. The goal should be to become more then that in the upcoming years though. I hope we can atleast become more then a first round exit team in the coming years.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                Paul George is definitely better than him right now. George is one of the better all around players in the league but is still underrated. Keep in mind with granger gone the majority of those wins have been credited to paul George

But to the thread. Raptors are 100% a playoff team. Too bad they became one too late to make the playoffs this season.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  Rudy Gay probably is a better talent than Paul George (if it weren't for stupid snubs, Gay would have two all-star nods [2011 & 2012]). BUT, going from this year, I would say George is the better player, so let me re-make my list.

1. LeBron James
                  2. Carmelo Anthony
                  3. Paul George
                  4. Rudy Gay
                  5. Luol Deng
                  6. Paul Pierce

Comment

Yep, but the first goal is to get this team to the playoffs and give them that first hand experience, even if it a 5 game first round exit. Look at the Pacers and what it took for them to be an elite team in the east. Playoff experience can do wonders to a young squad the following year.
                    I think the signing of David West had more to do with the success than the experience. I don't doubt the experience was beneficial but West was the bigger reason, in my opinion.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      I think the signing of David West had more to do with the success than the experience. I don't doubt the experience was beneficial but West was the bigger reason, in my opinion.
                      I somewhat agree. They added talent, but they improved over time to get to the post-season.

I know this example has been used HUNDREDS of times, but OKC didn't add anyone but drafting their way to the playoffs.

Comment

DD needs to be a little more selective in his shot selection.

Comment

I wonder, is Indiana over the salary cap?
                          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

They are over the cap, under the tax if that makes sense. They have an exception.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/indiana-pacers-team-salary/

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                              They are over the cap, under the tax if that makes sense. They have an exception.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/indiana-pacers-team-salary/
                              RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                              I wonder, is Indiana over the salary cap?
                              They were one of the teams with considerable flexibility until Hibbert's contract extension kicked in this season. Remember they had the cap space to take on Barbo with no salary coming back last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X