Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Raptors vs plus .500 teams

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    After starting the year 1-17 vs. plus .500 teams (I think that is right, someone can correct me if wrong), the Raptors are now 2-2 vs. plus .500 teams since Gay's donning of Raptor gear.

Breaking down the games, we see:

LAC: blowout win.
    MIA: 3 point game with 4 mins left.... let us forget the rest.
    BOS: 4 point loss.
    IND: tough OT, 2 point win.

I see reason for optimism beyond this season. I think Lowry is better than he is playing now. The Lowry that started the year (3 games is a small sample but also based on previous 2 seasons) is the Lowry I hope returns to Toronto soon. Then add in another quality big and the Raptors are looking good. If Gay can find his 3pt stroke (not to mention Fields), the Raptors are looking very good. His struggles shooting perplexes me because he does have such a nice stroke.

What do you think?
    Definitely too soon, especially when you throw in that the Clips didn't have Paul and played like total garbage. There are some reasons for optimism, and with expected growth from JV and Ross, I think playoffs are a safe bet next year, even if it just means a low seed and getting creamed.
    Would we have been a playoff team this year? Well, Bargs might have still gotten injured and we wouldn't have had Ed Davis. Same thing when Lowry went down Lucas would have possibly been our starter at times....*shivers* I think we still would have struggled to stay afloat, and with depth lacking, may have actually done worse.

In the end, the real improvement on this team depends on JV and Ross (to a lesser extent right now with Gay and Demar there). And there are still huge questions at PG, where Lowry has yet to regularly provide what the team needs...and I don't mean passing, I just mean the general quality of his play. If Bargs can be turned into assets that help us now and/or keep the team a bit more flexible moving forward, then I do think seeing JV/Ross taking a big step and rounding out the roster is a likely goal for Gay's final contract year. If by that time JV is averaging something ilke 15 and 10, and Ross brings a JR Smith type dimension (with better D and more sanity) off the bench, then they can talk about more than just being a first round playoff exit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    I think Gay is a better scorer than George. George though i think is a better 'overall' player than Gay. Better rebounder, assist man and defender. Though i would have to say from what i've seen, Gay is very underrated defensively.

I think it's very close. I'd give the slight edge to George because he's an all-star this year.
    And that's my thinking. George is having a better overall season, but Gay is no doubt the better talent.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Optimism starting since Gay's arrival, all the way till he is gone. This guy is a potential superstar, and he's right under the best.

Eastern Conference small forwards:

1. LeBron James
    2. Carmelo Anthony
    3. Paul George
    4. Paul Pierce
    5. Rudy Gay
    6. Luol Deng
    And Pierce is historically better than him but would you rather have old Pierce or young Gay on our team right now.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Gay vs. George comparison isn't fair because Rudy was improperly utilized in Memphis as we're seeing here. That's why he's added almost eight points per game since he's been here. His shooting percentage is better here...the last game was unfortunate...so if he had been with us since the beginning of the season putting up these kind of numbers is he a better player than George? I think there is a case for that.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    I think the most optimistic sign of the raptors improvement might be your waning hashtags . JV and TRoss got some ride last night....might raptor fans soon be free? And, dare I say it, with a few more strong performances, the final hashtag may fall? I say it as a joke but those are all good signs
    #tradeBargnani will NEVER die.... NEEEEEVER!
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Another win vs. plus .500 team.

3-2 with Gay playing vs. 1-18.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Another win vs. plus .500 team.

3-2 with Gay playing vs. 1-18.
    4-2 now.

#RUDYGAYEFFECT

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

After starting year 1-18 vs. plus .500 teams Raps w/ Gay now 6-3 with 3 close losses.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Update:

After starting year 1-18 vs. plus .500 teams Raps w/ Gay now 6-3 with 3 close losses.
    Sweeeeeeeeet!!!

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Update:

Reasons for optimism definitely becoming more legitimate. Some big games the last couple of weeks...BIG games.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like derozan as part of the core, because all I see is a 1 dimensional player (scorer), with poor shot selection, sure he has improved as a player and I am happy for him, but I always try to keep emotion out of it, he makes too much money for a skill we do not need. If ross ever reaches his potential I think his skillset is more valuable to the team. (elite defender, elite shooter), if we got josh smith, or another all-star stretch 4 (like those grow on trees) I would be a lot happier. Derozan is more than adequate until/if ross develops, but I question whether there will be an oppurtunity to ship him along with bargnani for that stretch 4 that we need to be elite.

Our bench is not good enough to hold a lead also.

It's just basketball, it's just entertainment, so whatever, I might as well enjoy what we got.
    Last edited by akashsingh; Sat Feb 23rd, 2013 at 08:49 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

After starting the year 1-17 vs. plus .500 teams (I think that is right, someone can correct me if wrong), the Raptors are now 2-2 vs. plus .500 teams since Gay's donning of Raptor gear.

Breaking down the games, we see:

LAC: blowout win.
    MIA: 3 point game with 4 mins left.... let us forget the rest.
    BOS: 4 point loss.
    IND: tough OT, 2 point win.
    update:2 wins v knicks 4-2

PS rudy gay is a nice player but he is not *that* good. Punting Calderon was huge. IE they dont win the washington game if Jose is trying to match up with John Wall.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    update:2 wins v knicks 4-2

PS rudy gay is a nice player but he is not *that* good. Punting Calderon was huge. IE they dont win the washington game if Jose is trying to match up with John Wall.
    It is 6-3 vs plus .500 with Gay.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think you can take a loss to the Miami Heat that badly... that team is a nightmare to defend, they can dump buckets on you at a moments notice dont get that twisted, and I should say Raps making playoffs and going against the Heat is a huge confidence builder, even if they get swept it means they made it and the core is good enough to do it, turning the season around like they did already after a 4-19 start is also something to be very proud of, but making the playoffs is huge!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information