Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Colangelo's third year option be picked up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. He's too wishy washy. One second we're rebuilding one second he's swinging for the fences. The franchise needs stability with a clear plan.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

The decision has already been made. His here on his last leg. If this doesn't workout his out. Rogers/Bell don't play that. They want results!
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I think he is a mediocre GM, think we can do better. I am willing to give another basketball mind a shot at the reign here.

I don't feel the baby will be thrown out with the bathwater, I have a confidence that his successor will take what has worked and maintain that, what hasn't should be moved on. I think Bryan is an inefficient asset manager, and his work with Toronto has shown that. If the NBA did not reward mediocrity, we would be up the creek without a paddle.
        Last edited by BasketballCrush; Sun Feb 10, 2013, 02:35 PM.

Comment

The Rudy Gay trade is Colangelo's 13 good games.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Shaq: "Oh, stop it." Pick it up, and let us see how it goes. This team has enough young talent for the future if things don't workout if BC isn't successful..
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

That's what we've been saying for years
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                At this point I kinda feel like we have to pick it up.. and even if we don't want him to I think ownership has already made up their mind. He brought in Gay, is willing to part with bargnani (even tho he seems like a great 3rd option scorer off the bench).. we gotta see what else he can do to bring us to the next level. imo it wouldn't make sense to go in another direction now. So, sure.. pick it up. We have all of next year to see if we like his direction.
                In agreement. Owners would not let gay trade without giving it a chance to play out though I don't think he deserves it if you factor in the totality of his failures.

Comment

At the end of the day his contract should be picked up...the only move I could really say that was a ridiculous move was the Jermaine O'Neal trade...Even Turk showed that BC had the ability to convince the arguably top free agent at the time to come to Toronto.
                  He has good draft record. Sure he hasn't been able to find a superstar but he has found strong core pieces.

He has shown the ability to change his way of building a franchise unlike GM's such as Burke.

He has shown the ability to correct mistakes rather quickly

And currently he is starting to build a nice mixture of young players with potential, players in their prime that can make a contribution. and now I think he just needs to bring in a couple of vets to help lead this team next season

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    This is the perfect comment for this thread.

Comment

I think his strength is fixing mistakes.

Every GM makes risks, and sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. It is what a GM does when it is apparent the risk has not worked out. BC has faltered with Bargnani, which he kept on massaging and crossing fingers to work out finally. But, in general, BC has done a great job of cutting losses and has really kept the Raptors away from the basement of the league as they were going through Bosh leaving, JO signing, and Hedo 'Ball'ing. The truth is, the current state of the Raptors is so much brighter than I wouldve guessed since 2006.

I am curious what another GM may do, and am ultimately frightened that they gut our team...
                      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

no love for ross, jv, davis, derozan, amir?

Comment

Apparently there is one guys who REALLY thinks "YES!":

Mike Ganter ‏@Mike_Ganter

OK, that's enough. Guy just walked in to the arena with a Raptors jersey that had COLANGELO on the back. He better be related.
                          Retweeted by Eric Koreen

Comment

No. He's too wishy washy. One second we're rebuilding one second he's swinging for the fences. The franchise needs stability with a clear plan.
                            I actually disagree with this. BC's record as Raps. GM hasn't been impressive but except for a couple of times, one thing he's unfailingly done is be clear about the direction of the team. When it was the early stage of the rebuild he said so and when it was the next stage it was made clear. Much unlike his ex MLSE counterpart Burke. At the beginning of this season, not assuredly, but he mentioned that the goal was to make the play-offs.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I mean, he's drafted really well.

2006: You can argue, people didn't see Rondo/Roy high, and Gay/Bargnani was a hard pick at the time.
                              2007: No pick.
                              2008: Roy Hibbert (Traded to Indiana)
                              2009: Demar Derozan
                              2010: Ed Davis (eventually Rudy Gay)
                              2011: Jonas Valanciunas
                              2012: Terrence Ross/Quincy Acy

I don't think there is a bad pick (06' pick was a weird one), and it seems the guys with the team now have either developed into something real good, something that got us talent, or something that WILL be talent. We have a solid young core.

Recently, he's done a nice job of bringing in those surrounding players - Lowry, Fields, Amir, Anderson, Gray - and bringing in a defense first coach.

I don't know. He's made some solid decisions thus far after Bosh, and in my opinion, bringing in a GM could change what we have, and right now, things are looking really good for the future.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                                So why cant you and sig see why it makes sense for people to change their minds about BC getting his 3rd year option?
                                What I see/saw, which I think Sig saw (admit he was being unnecessarily judgemental) doesn't add up. Their were people who were flat out calling for his head, not even wanting to wait under the end of the season, and what did it take for such vehement opposition to be won over?

He traded an expiring contract which I think we all new was going to be traded at some point this season as soon as the Lowry trade was made. He traded that expiring for a guy that he's been after for awhile. The fact that we gave up a promising piece in Davis had a bunch of the same people unhappy about the trade. And five games of good basketball is enough to change these people minds?

BC is still the same guy he was two months ago, and from my perspective the Gay trade fits his MO to a tee. The only change is that we've had FIVE (5) good games of basketball and that's enough for people to change their tune from fire him today to give him 1 more year. So yes i don't really understand it. And if we go on a bad stretch of a few games and people who are now calling for the extension to be picked up go back to saying that it shouldn't be picked up, I also won't understand that, because BC has been the same guy acting the same way the entire time.

BC hasn't changed. I'm not convinced he has a plan. OR if he does have a plan, that he won't change it at the drop of a hat.

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                                I mean, he's drafted really well.
                                I agree that BC is a good drafter, and I also agree he's good/great at fixing his mistake. The problem is that outside of the draft, he makes too many moves that need to be fixed.

If I was making the decisions, I would definitely be actively searching for BC's replacement, and depending on how I felt about whether I had a candidate(s) who was better I may or may not pick up his option. However, because there is new ownership, and it's going to take a year to see how the gay trade plays out, I'm pretty certain that ownership has already decided to pick up BC's 3rd year option.

It doesn't bother me that people have changed their mind about BC, and I certainly don't think they should be judged about it. BUT it is surprising, that after such staunch belief that BC's time is over, there are those so easily convinced that he should be able to get one more year.

It just reminds me of the battered house wife who goes back to her abusive husband-- after swearing to her friends and family that she really was leaving him this time-- because he bought her flowers.

I don't understand why she would go back, just like I don't understand why those who openly called for BC head (which I though was a bit premature), to then come out and say he deserves to see how this trade plays out (also premature IMO). I can understand how both can rationalized, but it still doesn't make sense. It's been seven years! 7! We know who BC is, we know what he's good at, and what he's bad at. I think we have enough information about the guy to make up our minds about how we fell about him.

How are these same people going to feel if

Bargnani is back in the starting line up at the end of the year, isn't meshing well with Gay
                                Gay stil isn't as efficient offensively as we'd like, and showing some disinterest in defense that memphis complained about
                                We see a lot more bad Lowry than good Lowry
                                That Ross and JV have been glued bench

And the total result is we aren't playing competitive ball, and we're losing games we think we should win. Although, these things aren't necessarily likely, they all fall well within the realm of the possible. And all of them happening is more likely than us making the playoffs.

Yes the team is playing well, and I'm happy about that, yes, I like the Gay trade, yes I like the way that BC drafts. BUT there's been enough things that he's done that he certainly doesn't DESERVE the 3rd year extension. If ownership can find someone who they think can do a better job hire him/her. If they can't/don't want to, I'm okay with that too, and can understand why it doesn't necessarily make sense from an ownership position to change management right now. But BC is still the same guy, the Ruy Gay trade doesn't change that from my perspective.
                                Last edited by ezz_bee; Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:01 AM.
                                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                                X