Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Colangelo's third year option be picked up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Colangelo's third year option be picked up?

I look at Colangelo in a similar way to how I view Bargnani: lots of promise and potential that has led to a lot of disappointment..... until the Gay trade.

I am not advocating an extension... far from it.

But at this point in time I would not oppose his 3rd Year Option being picked up.

What do you think?
    Yes
    70.37%
    No
    29.63%

At this point I kinda feel like we have to pick it up.. and even if we don't want him to I think ownership has already made up their mind. He brought in Gay, is willing to part with bargnani (even tho he seems like a great 3rd option scorer off the bench).. we gotta see what else he can do to bring us to the next level. imo it wouldn't make sense to go in another direction now. So, sure.. pick it up. We have all of next year to see if we like his direction.

Comment

FoxMachine wrote: View Post
      At this point I kinda feel like we have to pick it up.. and even if we don't want him to I think ownership has already made up their mind. He brought in Gay, is willing to part with bargnani (even tho he seems like a great 3rd option scorer off the bench).. we gotta see what else he can do to bring us to the next level. imo it wouldn't make sense to go in another direction now. So, sure.. pick it up. We have all of next year to see if we like his direction.
      Kind of what I am thinking.

We'll see what happens with Lowry and Gay by next year (Lowry has just next years team option and Gay is a player option for one year beyond next season).

We'll see how Bargnani plays out.

We'll see how JV and Ross develop.

We'll see next season if DD was worth his extension.

We'll see what Casey does with real talent (Casey's contract will also be up).

If the sum of all these scenarios work out against the Raptors, then good bye.
      If everything is looking sunshine then a real debate will begin.

At this point in time I see very little reason not to give the 3rd year extension.

Comment

I've always been a pretty steadfast supporter of BC.
        He's made some obviously questionable (boneheaded) moves but has also made some solid moves that will help this team in the future regardless of if he is here or not. I voted for yes on the extension.
        I look at him alot like Brian Burke with the Leafs. I'm not a hockey guy by any means, but from what I understand he brought in some good pieces that will absolutely be around if the Leafs ever become relevant again.
        Same with BC. With Lowry, Gay, JV, lesser extent Demar and TRoss etc. he's brought in pieces that are condusive to a winning system and are long-term-positives in a winning system.

I think the outcome of Bargnani will still ultimately determine his legacy here regardless of the other obviously good moves he's made.

Comment

Also, as much as a lot of fans don't respect BC, I feel like he gets a lot of respect from the players on this team and players around the league. Players we've had always say this organization is top-notch and that BC takes care of them. And now that he has brought some respectable players in who also trust that he will make this team better, I think he is a guy that has the ability to bring in some good additions once this team starts winning. With all due respect to Bosh, I think its much more attractive for players to play along side guys like lowry and gay.

Comment

No, I'm surprised he's still here. Baring a miraculous run into the playoffs this Spring, I believe BC will be gone.

Comment

Yes. It really looks like he has a plan now, and depending on what deal may happen in the next week including Bargnani, that may or may not back up my answer.

Having 'the guy' in Rudy Gay. Having surrounding core pieces in Amir, Derozan, Fields, Ross. A big man with potential to be a star in JV, our point guard for the future in Lowry, but we lack the inside presence - which could be Valanciunas down the road - that scores on the inside, and rebounds/defends. Bargnani might be that guy, but we've experience way too much "woulda, coulda, shoulda" with him.

Letting BC walk now may bring in a GM that will have problems/issues with the coach, might undergo his own plan, etc etc.

Stefanski apparently would be the replacement, but I'm not sold on him to be the guy.

Like I said, at this moment, pick up the option, but depending on what happens with Bargnani, I'll keep my mouth closed until than.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

If he moves Bargnani for something awesome, yes. If Bargs is not moved, no. Any temptations for him to fall in love with Bargs must be removed immediately. The only way to do so is not pick up his option.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                  If he moves Bargnani for something awesome, yes. If Bargs is not moved, no. Any temptations for him to fall in love with Bargs must be removed immediately. The only way to do so is not pick up his option.
                  Bargnani could prove to be a solid contributor if he is willing to take the bench role long-term. Otherwise, agreed. Whatever happens in the next week with Bargnani, will give us the true answer.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I voted yes....I think it's worth giving him another year to see what he can do with what he's started. I mean, he doesn't necessarily have to make another blockbuster, but if the team as built now is one the board expects to make the playoffs next year, and I think it is such a team, they will pick up the option. Then if next season is a disaster, I'd expect they won't extend him. I also think stability is a good thing with management, and that we're a horribly undesirable situation for a new GM...no flexibility, no draft pick this year, and it'd be a serious job to blow up this team with all the contracts on the books.
                    *basically the trade saved his job....it made the team more talented and possibly playoff worthy, filled a position of need, gave us a new franchise face, and perhaps most importantly for saving BC's job, reduced the urgency to trade Bargs. Now with Gay here, he can hold onto Bargs for a deal he likes, which is also something a new GM(who didn't draft him) may not be patient enough to do...
                    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Feb 9, 2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      I voted yes....I think it's worth giving him another year to see what he can do with what he's started. I mean, he doesn't necessarily have to make another blockbuster, but if the team as built now is one the board expects to make the playoffs next year, and I think it is such a team, they will pick up the option. Then if next season is a disaster, I'd expect they won't extend him. I also think stability is a good thing with management, and that we're a horribly undesirable situation for a new GM...no flexibility, no draft pick this year, and it'd be a serious job to blow up this team with all the contracts on the books.
                      It actually works out quite well for the Raptors if things go terribly wrong.

Except DD, JV, Ross, and Acy there are no contracts on the books past 2015.
                      So if next season goes horribly wrong there is a lottery pick (2014) and BC is gone along with Lowry and possibly Gay.
                      Then in 2015 the team is stacked with expiring contracts and another lottery pick.

The team is in a good situation should the 'good' or the 'bad' happen.

Comment

FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                        Also, as much as a lot of fans don't respect BC, I feel like he gets a lot of respect from the players on this team and players around the league. Players we've had always say this organization is top-notch and that BC takes care of them. And now that he has brought some respectable players in who also trust that he will make this team better, I think he is a guy that has the ability to bring in some good additions once this team starts winning. With all due respect to Bosh, I think its much more attractive for players to play along side guys like lowry and gay.
                        I agree, and it's a big reason to keep him, at least for the short term. Any replacement has to command similar respect from people around the league, both players and execs, and finding a guy like that right now, when any replacement would come into a very difficult situation (if they wanted to make changes), is unlikely.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          It actually works out quite well for the Raptors if things go terribly wrong.

Except DD, JV, Ross, and Acy there are no contracts on the books past 2015.
                          So if next season goes horribly wrong there is a lottery pick (2014) and BC is gone along with Lowry and possibly Gay.
                          Then in 2015 the team is stacked with expiring contracts and another lottery pick.

The team is in a good situation should the 'good' or the 'bad' happen.
                          Yeah, whereas now if they didn't pick up his option, they'd stick a guy with a bad situation for him before really even knowing what this team is. The new GM would still have to let next season play out to evaluate the team, and would still likely have a really hard time doing anything to change the team until next draft at the soonest. It really makes no sesne to make a change now.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                            Well, that's pretty black and white. You'd want to see Colangelo's option picked up if he trades Bargnani for a worse player on a similar contract (Let's say, Tyrus Thomas, for the sake of argument)? Similarly, you'd want to let go of Colangelo if he keeps Bargnani, makes a couple depth moves, and the team goes on a crazy streak from here until the end of the season with Bargnani as a big part of that?

Don't get me wrong, Bargnani is still the first big contract guy I'd want to trade on this team. But moving him to save his job should be the last thing anyone wants BC to do.

Comment

And the tables turn once again...

In a mere span of 2 weeks many of you have gone from attempting assassination on Colangelo and Bargnani, to considering keeping them.

Can we not make such rash proclamations all the time or is this mandatory Raptor fan behaviour? Do people even have opinions or do you just like to complain?

Comment

Working...
                              X