Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 22-9 or 21-10

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 22-9 or 21-10

I'm still thinking playoffs believe it or not. If the Raps finish the season 22-9 or 21-10 i think they make the playoffs.

Looking at their schedules, most of these games are winnable. And if look at the way they've played since acquiring Rudy Gay, they've been really good. Not to mention they're healthy now.

Since acquiring Gay, Raps have defeated 2 great teams in LAC and Indiana. They almost beat the hottest team in the NBA right now in Boston. A game that they should've won. I think the Raps can go on a little run here.
    Follow me on Twitter - RRyanZ11

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's as likely as it is unlikely. Well, maybe a little less.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

21-10 equals a .677 winning percentage. There are only four teams in the league playing at that pace:

Miami
    San Antonio
    Oklahoma City
    LA Clippers

As good as the Raptors have looked since Gay arrived, they won't be playing at a championship-calibre pace to end the season.

Don't get your hopes up. Catching lightning in a bottle is pretty damn hard
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You never know though. I remember the 2002 team. VC got injured and was out for the season but the team won 12 of their last 14 games without him to sneak into the playoffs as an 8th seed.
    Follow me on Twitter - RRyanZ11

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Missing the playoffs = Pick comes back, OKC receives a bad, low pick in the lottery, in a low talent draft. Management has the extended period to overlook the players, roster, and make decisions on behalf of the GM.

Making the playoffs = Winning environment, and experience for the roster. Team on the rise again, world-wide coverage.

Positives however way we look at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    You never know though. I remember the 2002 team. VC got injured and was out for the season but the team won 12 of their last 14 games without him to sneak into the playoffs as an 8th seed.
    I'm not saying it's impossible. Just saying that it's happened once in 17 years. I think I'll play the odds on this one.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Missing the playoffs = Pick comes back, OKC receives a bad, low pick in the lottery, in a low talent draft. Management has the extended period to overlook the players, roster, and make decisions on behalf of the GM.

Making the playoffs = Winning environment, and experience for the roster. Team on the rise again, world-wide coverage.

You're definitely a glass half full guy.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the best Toronto could realistically do is about 37 wins (18-13). That's not going to get them in without a lot of help. They'd need one of Boston, Milwaukee, or Atlanta to crash hard between now and the end of the season. The way Boston's been playing, it's unlikely they play much worse than .500 the rest of the way. Milwaukee has been on a .43% winning percentage since January, which would put them on pace for 38 wins if it held through the end of the season (but that was a very road-heavy stretch for them, it's unlikely it lasts). Atlanta's fortunes are probably determined by what happens with Smith. If they keep him until the end of the season, they probably don't drop below .500. If they trade him for a picks/prospects heavy package, they might drop down towards the 38 win realm.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to be optimistic as well.. but Detroit is doing really well with Jose and so not only would Toronto have to beat Detroit, they'd have to out pace Philly (who still doesn't have Bynum) and Boston (who have a tonne of experience). That's a huge hill to climb.

And that Clips team is not the same Clips without Paul.

If the Raptors blew out Indiana and beat either Boston or Miami then I'd feel your optimism but that didn't happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Don't get your hopes up. Catching lightning in a bottle is pretty damn hard
    My brother has a friend that knows a guy whose brother does that all the time. True story brah

Post Thanks / Like

The Raptors making the playoffs requires either Atlanta, or Milwaukee or both blowing up their teams. Which there is every indication of that happening since both are stuck in mediocre land with no hopes of buying their way out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Boston is also an injury away from the lottery. If anything happens to Pierce or Garnet look out

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...r-playoff-push

In the above thread I was at 30-70; now I would be 15-85.

Those two 20-point blow lead losses to Philly and Milwaukee hurt.... not to mention the Atlanta game... oh and the post Gay Celtic loss. Those are the 4 teams the Raps are battling and having 23 wins right now versus 19 would make it more like 85-15 in my opinion..... but shoulda/coulda/woulda is for suckers.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    My brother has a friend that knows a guy whose brother does that all the time. True story brah
    His name is Bryan Colangelo (or so he'll have us believe....)

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    You're definitely a glass half full guy.
    Yes, yes I am.

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing to point out, beyond what's been said already, is this: the Raps go back on the road in March 9 times. The schedule isn't actually that bad the rest of the way but they see the Knicks 4 times and Chicago, Boston and ATL twice each.

Realistically looking at this roster and that schedule, just can't see them playing elite basketball over that stretch, which is what would be required.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The next 2 games we gotta take one of them, I believe we can beat Denver we pretty much beat them last time but Calderon had to come in and have 7 turnovers.... New York is another story.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather not make the playoffs this year and give up our pick so that we have it next year and can possibly use it for a trade if needed. We make the playoffs this year and all we get is a sweep by the Heat.then we'll pick outside the lottery in a weak draft and have to give up our pick for next years much stronger draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Well on the plus side; Kenny Smith from TNT thinks the raps have a better shot at sneaking into the playoffs than the Lakers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post

Another season where winning isn't the #1 priority and nothing matters. Woohoo.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information