Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Remember that Ed guy?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Remember that Ed guy?

    Anyone missing Ed Davis? While he was showing some upside with his minutes, I have forgot about him already. Amir has played very well and JV has put up back to back double doubles. The team is winning more games then they lose with Gay, and players seem happy.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fact that we are looking for starter PF means that he's missed. Fans were happy with our PF line up, which was solid enough not to look for better/more expensive options.
    #FREE

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not really I do love Ed but people fell in love with the guy because literally anything was better to partner with Amir/JV downlow than Bargnani and we started playing way better D with those 2 so it padded him a little bit, I would do that Gay trade 1 million and 1 times over. Gay was the best player in the trade and when you get the best player in the trade you win the trade.

    Ed Davis will probably be a Raptor again at some point something tells me he will be a free agent soonr rather than later.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Fact that we are looking for starter PF means that he's missed. Fans were happy with our PF line up, which was solid enough not to look for better/more expensive options.
    I disagree. We're looking for a starting PF because Colangelo believes we're all-of-a-sudden a real playoff threat with the acquisition of Gay. Davis was never going to be a legit starter for us.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Fact that we are looking for starter PF means that he's missed. Fans were happy with our PF line up, which was solid enough not to look for better/more expensive options.
    I am not sure sure that we are looking for a starting 4 as much as we are looking to upgrade the front court....something we were still looking at doing when Ed was here. Also, Amir as a Starter in February is playing very well, 13 points 11 boards, with more than a block and a steal per game to go along with over 2 assists.....

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Davis was the best option for a starting PF next to Amir. Now that we have Rudy, Davis is equivalent to a great backup PF.
    He plays backup PF in Memphis, so he's fulfilling his role.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    467
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Love Ed, but odn't miss him right now.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Once a player is traded to another team there is no point in following their success. Jose may be different because he was a lifer, but even that will get old eventually.

    The need to upgrade the PF spot existed even with Davis there.. I personally felt that Bargnani wasn't going to be a permanent fixture, and Davis/Amir seemed to both be off the bench type of guys that one seemed to always be expendable (and in this case Davis seemed the most likely due to his contract/age/potential).

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,626
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I disagree. We're looking for a starting PF because Colangelo believes we're all-of-a-sudden a real playoff threat with the acquisition of Gay. Davis was never going to be a legit starter for us.
    A threat for this season? That would be like the threat of an asteroid hitting the planet and wiping out mankind.

    A threat had Gay been with the Raptors earlier this year? I think so.

    A threat for next year? I think, barring a Minnesota-like rash of injuries, a definite.... but I might be a simpleton homer.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    A threat for this season? That would be like the threat of an asteroid hitting the planet and wiping out mankind.

    A threat had Gay been with the Raptors earlier this year? I think so.

    A threat for next year? I think, barring a Minnesota-like rash of injuries, a definite.... but I might be a simpleton homer.
    With our current roster, I could see us being a .500 team next year (and that's not including the assumed improvement in Ross and Val's games).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Once a player is traded to another team there is no point in following their success.
    I follow ex-Raptors after they are traded and focus on how they are used, with a special interest in minutes, usage rate, and shot distribution.

    Ed Davis was hailed as a "Boss" on these boards less than one month ago but he has played 41 minutes in 5 games since joining Memphis. I do hope he puts on some muscles as I believe would pair well with Zach Randolph when Marc Gasol has to take a breather.

  12. #12
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Anyone missing Ed Davis? While he was showing some upside with his minutes, I have forgot about him already. Amir has played very well and JV has put up back to back double doubles. The team is winning more games then they lose with Gay, and players seem happy.

    Thoughts?
    Do I miss him now? Not really, because like you said Amir and JV are stepping up. Will I be missing Ed 5 years from now? Likely so, but you gotta give up talent to get talent.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter phez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I disagree. We're looking for a starting PF because Colangelo believes we're all-of-a-sudden a real playoff threat with the acquisition of Gay. Davis was never going to be a legit starter for us.
    ed davis is a legit starter. is he an all star? no. you dont have to be an all star to be a starter. the kid puts up easy double doubles with amazing effeciency. he has great hustle.

    hes had 3 40minute games with the raptors this season.
    first game he went 24/12 with 3 steals and hit 84%. second game went 11/13 with 3 blocks and a steal. third game 18 and 10 with 2 blk and a steal.

    what more do you want?
    another 50 million contract player, i suppose?

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote phez wrote: View Post
    ed davis is a legit starter. is he an all star? no. you dont have to be an all star to be a starter. the kid puts up easy double doubles with amazing effeciency. he has great hustle.

    hes had 3 40minute games with the raptors this season.
    first game he went 24/12 with 3 steals and hit 84%. second game went 11/13 with 3 blocks and a steal. third game 18 and 10 with 2 blk and a steal.

    what more do you want?
    another 50 million contract player, i suppose?
    Putting up nice stats on a crappy team doesn't define a "legit" starter in my eyes. Would Davis be good enough to start on a contending team? The answer is a resounding "Hell No!"
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,626
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    With our current roster, I could see us being a .500 team next year (and that's not including the assumed improvement in Ross and Val's games).
    If Lowry played like he has in 2 of the last 3 games - which is not a stretch considering that is how he played the majority of the previous 3 seasons and to start the year - then I could see the Raps pushing 46/47 wins as is. I am talking straight from my bum here but that is what I think.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Je me souviens!



  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter phez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Putting up nice stats on a crappy team doesn't define a "legit" starter in my eyes. Would Davis be good enough to start on a contending team? The answer is a resounding "Hell No!"
    ah right, his numbers all have to do with the fact toronto runs it offense through its fowards-centers (lol), and has nothing to do with the fact davis also having to deal with going up against all the other 'legit' big men in the league to get his numbers. right.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think Davis was a very underrated part of the team. He was and is still improving. Loved his instincts around the basket, think he was more talented than Amir in that regard.


    Also, when I think what Amir is now, and what he was, Davis can easily eclipse him with his talent, which is far greater at the same stage. So of course I miss him, but I would not reverse the trade.


    Not sure how easily he can put on muscle, some have said its a struggle for his body type, not sure if that is fact or fiction, but if he could have Amir's size with his talent, look out.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Feb 12th, 2013 at 02:16 PM.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote phez wrote: View Post
    ah right, his numbers all have to do with the fact toronto runs it offense through its fowards-centers (lol), and has nothing to do with the fact davis also having to deal with going up against all the other 'legit' big men in the league to get his numbers. right.
    Ok, you're right. Davis is awesome. Even though he's barely seeing the floor in Memphis, he'll be the reason they win back-to-back titles in 3 years. Happy?

    This reminds me of the Bayless love people were throwing around all summer.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie GoldenBaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mtth wrote: View Post
    Je me souviens!


    Damn Ed Davis looks beast in a Grizzlies jersey!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •