Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speculation: Raptors Will Offer Jose Contract In Offseason

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Rookie Thesachman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Speculation: Raptors Will Offer Jose Contract In Offseason

A source familiar with the situation has indicated that Bryan Colangelo wants to bring back Jose Calderon this offseason.
    http://www.raptorscage.ca/the-raptor...the-offseason/

I know I'm not Woj, but I can assure you this is coming from a credible source, however the source requested to make it confidential.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just what we need....another PG controversy going into Lowry's contract year :|
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Thesachman wrote: View Post
    http://www.raptorscage.ca/the-raptor...the-offseason/

I know I'm not Woj, but I can assure you this is coming from a credible source, however the source requested to make it confidential.
    Or could you be doing this to create traffic to your blog?

I'll change the title to "speculation".

Raptors Republic Rookie Thesachman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

no, check your DM on twitter.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to get into a whole "do we want him?" thing, but if you look at the PGs available as a FA backup, Jose is clearly up there as maybe the best available....along with guys like WAtson if he walks, and Jack (who I'd really hate to see back in a Raps uniform)....

All that said, I certainly don't want to overpay or want a controversy. If we can sign him for something ike 3-5 million a season for a couple of years, I'd consider it....although I think he'll get a nice offer from a team like Det or Dal, where he can probably start, and probably make more money...good for him though.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For the right price, I'd love him back. Something tells though he's looking for something similar annually to what he's making now. If so, definitely not. But Jose's a cool cat and I'd expect him to give Colangelo and co. some serious consideration this summer and even perhaps give us a "hometown" discount. Or at least I hope he would.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    For the right price, I'd love him back. Something tells though he's looking for something similar annually to what he's making now. If so, definitely not. But Jose's a cool cat and I'd expect him to give Colangelo and co. some serious consideration this summer and even perhaps give us a "hometown" discount. Or at least I hope he would.
    I do think Jose won't hold really hard feelings. I doubt we're his first choice this season. But maybe after his next deal, where he makes fair money for another year or two (I don't think he'll get a deal near his current one for longer than a year or two), I could see him considering ending his career in Toronto, and possibly doing so quite cheap. Soemthing like 3 years/8 or 9 million, with the third being an option year (don't care if it's player or team at that price). I don't think Jose's game will really decline by much. He already doesn't depend on speed/athleticism, so he should be similarly effective, albeit on a lesser level with less playing time.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's me but I don't understand the significance behind this thread. Of course Bryan is going to go after Jose. The team needs a backup PG; Jose has been a long suffering Raptor and Casey likes him.. if he flat out said that he wasn't interested in Jose this summer then that would be breaking news.

The real issue is Jose. He has been treated pretty unfairly by the organization. Almost traded once; almost amnestied; was on the block all of last year and again this year; finally traded to Detroit of all places. If I was Jose I'd be pissed and would want to go anywhere else. Plus the most the Raptors can offer is the MLE, and even then it may not be the max MLE if they are anywhere close to the apron.

I'd give the odds of Jose coming back to Toronto at about 20/80 right now.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Maybe it's me but I don't understand the significance behind this thread. Of course Bryan is going to go after Jose. The team needs a backup PG; Jose has been a long suffering Raptor and Casey likes him.. if he flat out said that he wasn't interested in Jose this summer then that would be breaking news.

The real issue is Jose. He has been treated pretty unfairly by the organization. Almost traded once; almost amnestied; was on the block all of last year and again this year; finally traded to Detroit of all places. If I was Jose I'd be pissed and would want to go anywhere else. Plus the most the Raptors can offer is the MLE, and even then it may not be the max MLE if they are anywhere close to the apron.

I'd give the odds of Jose coming back to Toronto at about 20/80 right now.
    I'd be pissed off too if I was Jose. But then I'd take a bath in that $50 million Toronto gave me and cool off.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Completely agree. I don't understand how this is news. "GM interested in player who was loved by teammates, fans." Cool.

But also, Eric Koreen of the National Post had a quick string of tweets about why Jose is highly unlikely to come back, simply for salary reasons. I wish I could Storify those tweets but they were a couple weeks ago.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jose's not a chump. He'll get a 2-3 yr contract offer from Detroit in the 6-8 million dollar range and will continue to start for that franchise. LOL for BC thinking he can get him back for a veteran's minimum.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear to God if he is signed its shooting the season in the foot before it even starts...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    OMG PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear to God if he is signed its shooting the season in the foot before it even starts...
    Why? I think Calderon would be the perfect backup PG and is the best option of all the free agents this offseason.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Why? I think Calderon would be the perfect backup PG and is the best option of all the free agents this offseason.
    Perfect backup PG, yes (if only Casey was able to see him as such).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Perfect backup PG, yes (if only Casey was able to see him as such).
    Exactly. As long as Jose is here, there will always be a PG controversy. Casey will not see it as "he left and came back" situation, but rather "he never really left" kinda thing.

I'd rather get a younger, quicker guard, who can rev and slow down the offense when needed. How bout Kendall Marshall? Or Sessions? or Augustin?

Id like to see Jose come back in a front office capacity.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Exactly. As long as Jose is here, there will always be a PG controversy. Casey will not see it as "he left and came back" situation, but rather "he never really left" kinda thing.

I'd rather get a younger, quicker guard, who can rev and slow down the offense when needed. How bout Kendall Marshall? Or Sessions? or Augustin?

Id like to see Jose come back in a front office capacity.
    Agreed.

I would totally buy into that as our bench guard, Kendall hasnt been playing the great but hey hes a rookie and he could be ours for relatively nothing I think, Hes a pass first guy, he gets scoffed at for his inablity to look for his own offence but he has the court vision that a lot of pgs seemto lack I think he is worth a gamble on average he should only be playing like 10 minutes anyway.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Calderon does NOT see himself as a backup. Pau Gasol said that neither Lowry nor Jose would be happy in the role. Why are we still talking about this?

The best thing that ever happened to Jose was that he was traded. He's finding out that there's life after Toronto and he'll find himself a nice situation for next year, on his own terms.

Raptors Republic Superstar Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Michel G wrote: View Post
    Calderon does NOT see himself as a backup. Pau Gasol said that neither Lowry nor Jose would be happy in the role. Why are we still talking about this?.
    Why are we still talking about this?! because Kyle Lowry has yet to prove he is a good capable point guard. A good point guard does not make so many turnovers or silly wild mistakes during the game as much as Lowry does.
    After next season he might just leave the Raptors high and dry and where will that leave the Raptors?! You know Lowry will seriously want to get paid that year, at least with Jose you will have some insurance instead of being hijacked by some outrageous demands for a point guard that seems stuborn in his ways.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Why are we still talking about this?! because Kyle Lowry has yet to prove he is a good capable point guard. A good point guard does not make so many turnovers or silly wild mistakes during the game as much as Lowry does.
    After next season he might just leave the Raptors high and dry and where will that leave the Raptors?! You know Lowry will seriously want to get paid that year, at least with Jose you will have some insurance instead of being hijacked by some outrageous demands for a point guard that is unwilling to work on his flaws.
    Yes, but Lowry is clearly a better player in general. This team isn't good enough to start nitpicking at their back-up positions, etc, etc. Talent is still a bit of an issue for the Raptors, and as much as Calderon is a better POINT-GUARD, he's not a better talent.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    After next season he might just leave the Raptors high and dry and where will that leave the Raptors?! You know Lowry will seriously want to get paid that year, at least with Jose you will have some insurance instead of being hijacked by some outrageous demands for a point guard that seems stuborn in his ways.
    Lowry has been a good capable point guard for 3 years. Lowry is 26th in the league in turnovers per game for point guards. He's not as turnover prone has people make him out to be. Actually, his overall stats are quite good and he doesn't force his game as much as people seem to think.

I will say it again. Calderon does not see himself as a backup. If they trade Lowry and then sign Jose in the summer, then I would be ok with that.

Why is it so hard for people to let go of Jose? We've had ONE winning record in the last 11 years. I'm not attached to anybody on this team except the rookies and Rudy Gay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information