Speculation: Raptors Will Offer Jose Contract In Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation: Raptors Will Offer Jose Contract In Offseason

A source familiar with the situation has indicated that Bryan Colangelo wants to bring back Jose Calderon this offseason.
    http://www.raptorscage.ca/the-raptor...the-offseason/

I know I'm not Woj, but I can assure you this is coming from a credible source, however the source requested to make it confidential.

Just what we need....another PG controversy going into Lowry's contract year :|

Comment

Thesachman wrote: View Post
      http://www.raptorscage.ca/the-raptor...the-offseason/

I know I'm not Woj, but I can assure you this is coming from a credible source, however the source requested to make it confidential.
      Or could you be doing this to create traffic to your blog?

I'll change the title to "speculation".

Comment

no, check your DM on twitter.

Comment

I don't want to get into a whole "do we want him?" thing, but if you look at the PGs available as a FA backup, Jose is clearly up there as maybe the best available....along with guys like WAtson if he walks, and Jack (who I'd really hate to see back in a Raps uniform)....

All that said, I certainly don't want to overpay or want a controversy. If we can sign him for something ike 3-5 million a season for a couple of years, I'd consider it....although I think he'll get a nice offer from a team like Det or Dal, where he can probably start, and probably make more money...good for him though.

Comment

For the right price, I'd love him back. Something tells though he's looking for something similar annually to what he's making now. If so, definitely not. But Jose's a cool cat and I'd expect him to give Colangelo and co. some serious consideration this summer and even perhaps give us a "hometown" discount. Or at least I hope he would.

Comment

Maybe it's me but I don't understand the significance behind this thread. Of course Bryan is going to go after Jose. The team needs a backup PG; Jose has been a long suffering Raptor and Casey likes him.. if he flat out said that he wasn't interested in Jose this summer then that would be breaking news.

The real issue is Jose. He has been treated pretty unfairly by the organization. Almost traded once; almost amnestied; was on the block all of last year and again this year; finally traded to Detroit of all places. If I was Jose I'd be pissed and would want to go anywhere else. Plus the most the Raptors can offer is the MLE, and even then it may not be the max MLE if they are anywhere close to the apron.

I'd give the odds of Jose coming back to Toronto at about 20/80 right now.

Comment

Jose's not a chump. He'll get a 2-3 yr contract offer from Detroit in the 6-8 million dollar range and will continue to start for that franchise. LOL for BC thinking he can get him back for a veteran's minimum.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Maybe it's me but I don't understand the significance behind this thread. Of course Bryan is going to go after Jose. The team needs a backup PG; Jose has been a long suffering Raptor and Casey likes him.. if he flat out said that he wasn't interested in Jose this summer then that would be breaking news.

The real issue is Jose. He has been treated pretty unfairly by the organization. Almost traded once; almost amnestied; was on the block all of last year and again this year; finally traded to Detroit of all places. If I was Jose I'd be pissed and would want to go anywhere else. Plus the most the Raptors can offer is the MLE, and even then it may not be the max MLE if they are anywhere close to the apron.

I'd give the odds of Jose coming back to Toronto at about 20/80 right now.
                  I'd be pissed off too if I was Jose. But then I'd take a bath in that $50 million Toronto gave me and cool off.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                    For the right price, I'd love him back. Something tells though he's looking for something similar annually to what he's making now. If so, definitely not. But Jose's a cool cat and I'd expect him to give Colangelo and co. some serious consideration this summer and even perhaps give us a "hometown" discount. Or at least I hope he would.
                    I do think Jose won't hold really hard feelings. I doubt we're his first choice this season. But maybe after his next deal, where he makes fair money for another year or two (I don't think he'll get a deal near his current one for longer than a year or two), I could see him considering ending his career in Toronto, and possibly doing so quite cheap. Soemthing like 3 years/8 or 9 million, with the third being an option year (don't care if it's player or team at that price). I don't think Jose's game will really decline by much. He already doesn't depend on speed/athleticism, so he should be similarly effective, albeit on a lesser level with less playing time.

Comment

OMG PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear to God if he is signed its shooting the season in the foot before it even starts...

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                        OMG PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear to God if he is signed its shooting the season in the foot before it even starts...
                        Why? I think Calderon would be the perfect backup PG and is the best option of all the free agents this offseason.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          Why? I think Calderon would be the perfect backup PG and is the best option of all the free agents this offseason.
                          Perfect backup PG, yes (if only Casey was able to see him as such).

Comment

I just dont think retreading old 7 year with limited success groun is a good idea and I would hate to sign the guy and hear reports about people being unhappy Calderon's playmaking blowing 10 point leads. Calderon statistically sucked off the bench averaged what 5 turnovers? Calderon never said it but he was upset about coming off the bench and played awful ball to prove it.

Plenty of guards out there let BC find someone else

Comment

The Raptors (1) brought in several point guards to replace Jose as a starter, (2) tried to trade him to the Bobcats, and (3) traded him to Detroit.

All signs pointing to Jose signing up as a free agent with Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                              X