Speculation: Raptors Will Offer Jose Contract In Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    I just dont think retreading old 7 year with limited success groun is a good idea and I would hate to sign the guy and hear reports about people being unhappy Calderon's playmaking blowing 10 point leads. Calderon statistically sucked off the bench averaged what 5 turnovers? Calderon never said it but he was upset about coming off the bench and played awful ball to prove it.

Plenty of guards out there let BC find someone else
    Calderon is not the reason for a lack of success during his time in Toronto. He was a great teammate on and off the court throughout some pretty miserable years, including several rebuilds. As a veteran, pass-first veteran PG, who never publically does anything to create controversy, I think you'd be hard pressed to name a single PG that would bring more to the table to the Raptors.

Comment

Gotta love the guy!

Comment

I don't buy it. The article doesn't look very legit and doesn't source anything. The chances a no name finds out and reports it before anyone credible are slim to none. I really don't think BC wants Jose back and that 2-3 million is a joke.

Comment

Time to move on BC. I'm sure Jose already has.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

This is why you don't extend BC. He falls in love with players and has a hard time thinking out of the box.

His comfort zone is too narrow, and our organization suffers as a result. I like Jose, but come on, a multi year contract? This is his contract year, never fall in love with players during their contract years. Jose did not looked this good when he had him for years and years, the sample sizes are important.
            Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Feb 12, 2013, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Jose seems to be having an amazing half season with Detroit so far.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                Perfect backup PG, yes (if only Casey was able to see him as such).
                Exactly. As long as Jose is here, there will always be a PG controversy. Casey will not see it as "he left and came back" situation, but rather "he never really left" kinda thing.

I'd rather get a younger, quicker guard, who can rev and slow down the offense when needed. How bout Kendall Marshall? Or Sessions? or Augustin?

Id like to see Jose come back in a front office capacity.

Comment

I doubt BC has fallen in love with the player he traded 3 times. I seriously doubt Jose would consider coming back for anything less than the MLE. But, personally, I would love him back as a backup and retiring as a Raptor. Considering that he does love the city, is beloved by an absolute majority of the fans and has family living here, I will continue to hope for his return.

And if you were him, would you rather live here or in Detroit?

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Maybe it's me but I don't understand the significance behind this thread. Of course Bryan is going to go after Jose. The team needs a backup PG; Jose has been a long suffering Raptor and Casey likes him.. if he flat out said that he wasn't interested in Jose this summer then that would be breaking news.
                    Completely agree. I don't understand how this is news. "GM interested in player who was loved by teammates, fans." Cool.

But also, Eric Koreen of the National Post had a quick string of tweets about why Jose is highly unlikely to come back, simply for salary reasons. I wish I could Storify those tweets but they were a couple weeks ago.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                      This is why you don't extend BC. He falls in love with players and has a hard time thinking out of the box.

His comfort zone is too narrow, and our organization suffers as a result. I like Jose, but come on, a multi year contract? This is his contract year, never fall in love with players during their contract years. Jose did not looked this good when he had him for years and years, the sample sizes are important.
                      What are you talking about? Lol. Jose has consistently been one of the best raptors on the team. He's lead the league in ast/to ratio multiple times, has had a 50/40/90 season as a raptor and has always been around 9 apg except in his first 2 seasons. His only bad season as a raptor was back in 2010. Talk about sample size

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                        What are you talking about? Lol. Jose has consistently been one of the best raptors on the team. He's lead the league in ast/to ratio multiple times, has had a 50/40/90 season as a raptor and has always been around 9 apg except in his first 2 seasons. His only bad season as a raptor was back in 2010. Talk about sample size

I am just saying that his performance this year, is the best he has EVER been. It is his contract year. He always plays good when there is another point guard pushing him for minutes. We saw it with TJ, we saw it with Lowry. When you make him the only point guard, he starts to slip a bit.

Nothing wrong with that, chances are you probably perform better at your job if your boss checks what you are doing as well. It's a human thing.

That said, do I want to overpay for a multi year deal at this stage of his career? No. If he wants to give us a deal and is content with a backup role, great, otherwise there is no point. I don't think he is capable of sustaining this sort of play, I may be wrong. That said we need a young guy that can grow with this team. We don't need a player that gets older, more injury prone and slower. (and then we have PG problem when we least need it)

... and yes, I think he is an awesome teammate, professional and person. I will always respect Jose and his contribution to this team. (but business is business)
                        Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                          Exactly. As long as Jose is here, there will always be a PG controversy. Casey will not see it as "he left and came back" situation, but rather "he never really left" kinda thing.

I'd rather get a younger, quicker guard, who can rev and slow down the offense when needed. How bout Kendall Marshall? Or Sessions? or Augustin?

Id like to see Jose come back in a front office capacity.
                          Agreed.

I would totally buy into that as our bench guard, Kendall hasnt been playing the great but hey hes a rookie and he could be ours for relatively nothing I think, Hes a pass first guy, he gets scoffed at for his inablity to look for his own offence but he has the court vision that a lot of pgs seemto lack I think he is worth a gamble on average he should only be playing like 10 minutes anyway.

Comment

wrong post..
                            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              Why? I think Calderon would be the perfect backup PG and is the best option of all the free agents this offseason.
                              Calderon does NOT see himself as a backup. Pau Gasol said that neither Lowry nor Jose would be happy in the role. Why are we still talking about this?

The best thing that ever happened to Jose was that he was traded. He's finding out that there's life after Toronto and he'll find himself a nice situation for next year, on his own terms.

Comment

Can I have a legitimate back-up please? Not a below average back-up, and an average starter.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X