Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Armstrong getting on my nerves lately

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I love that he gets on the refs, to me its his saving quality.

I am of the opinion that if the refs do not respect you, you should not respect the refs. So, they are all seeing their bookies as far as I am concerned.

Raptors Republic All-Star FoxMachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    I love that he gets on the refs, to me its his saving quality.

I am of the opinion that if the refs do not respect you, you should not respect the refs. So, they are all seeing their bookies as far as I am concerned.
    I agree in a sense.. I mean I like when its obvious the refs made a mistake and he basically expresses exactly how I feel lol.. but what I don't like is that he does it way too often, even when the refs are right.

Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

as much as jack is a flip-flopper, in a sense thats his job. he's supposed to provide analysis on the game. obviously he's not very good at it, but he's very entertaining and his voice (the biggest part of his job) is always very expressive and tells a story. thats why i love the games where he is commentating. I read once on the score that sports writing is like playing the lottery, you have to take a risk, in jack's case, make a bold prediction. If you get it right, you can always point people back to your prediction and you will look like a damn genius. However, if you're wrong, no one tends to remember past the next day. that's what jack does, he makes bold predictions that keep us hooked. We're intently watching now, either to prove him wrong or to see if he's right. As he talks, he sounds like a fan, like you or me if we were up there.

Leo on the other hand is a monotonous robot who plays it safe and thinks he knows everything about basketball, when in reality, he couldnt coach to save his life. He always agrees with whatever the call was or the coaching decision and he never shows emotion. I don't want a guy who, during a replay review agrees with the call against Toronto. I want a guy like Jack, who, however stubbornly, says the ball didnt go out, says the ref didnt call a foul, says the ball came out of Amir's hand in time.

I already feel like the rest of the league is against us, and with Leo, I feel like even our own broadcast team is. With Jack, I feel like we the fans have a voice, someone who genuinely celebrates a Raptors win and will feel just as bad as I do when the Raptors lose.

#salamiandcheese
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't complain about our commentators after listening to two seconds of the clippers crew..

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's just a matter of the fans (myself included) being frustrated with all the losing we've witnessed over the years. It probably wouldn't matter who the commentators are (or what they're saying) if our favourite team is constantly on the losing end of the ledger.

We've been classically conditioned to hate Leo/Matt/Jack because their voices indirectly trigger painful memories of crappy Raptor teams. Just my two cents

That's why I love the 'NBA on NBC' theme song....the last time I heard it, Carter was dropping 50 in the playoffs.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

no way. love jack. get that gaaaahbage outta here!

Raptors Republic Rookie GoldenBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    #BringBackChuck
    Everything has a hashtag for it eh? ;P ahahaha!

On topic, I don't mind Jack Armstrong, he can't possibly be any worse than the Blue Jays with "Buck Martinez". Now that is something to complain about. When a commentator has his own website about all the mistakes he makes during the game, something is severely wrong. (http://www.buckblunders.com/)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    as much as jack is a flip-flopper, in a sense thats his job. he's supposed to provide analysis on the game. obviously he's not very good at it, but he's very entertaining and his voice (the biggest part of his job) is always very expressive and tells a story. thats why i love the games where he is commentating. I read once on the score that sports writing is like playing the lottery, you have to take a risk, in jack's case, make a bold prediction. If you get it right, you can always point people back to your prediction and you will look like a damn genius. However, if you're wrong, no one tends to remember past the next day. that's what jack does, he makes bold predictions that keep us hooked. We're intently watching now, either to prove him wrong or to see if he's right. As he talks, he sounds like a fan, like you or me if we were up there.

Leo on the other hand is a monotonous robot who plays it safe and thinks he knows everything about basketball, when in reality, he couldnt coach to save his life. He always agrees with whatever the call was or the coaching decision and he never shows emotion. I don't want a guy who, during a replay review agrees with the call against Toronto. I want a guy like Jack, who, however stubbornly, says the ball didnt go out, says the ref didnt call a foul, says the ball came out of Amir's hand in time.

I already feel like the rest of the league is against us, and with Leo, I feel like even our own broadcast team is. With Jack, I feel like we the fans have a voice, someone who genuinely celebrates a Raptors win and will feel just as bad as I do when the Raptors lose.

#salamiandcheese

Good post, and some great points. When Jack complains about the refs, I feel a bit vindicated, I admit. Looks like I dont hate him so much afterall, just a little bothered by the 2nd guessing of Casey. Granted Jacks 2nd guessing is a little better than the forums, but it all adds up for me and makes me gag. lol. I admit to being a Casey fan, so it probably bothers me more than others.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Feb 12th, 2013 at 05:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good post, and some great points. When Jack complains about the refs, I feel a bit vindicated, I admit. Looks like I dont hate him so much afterall, just a little bothered by the 2nd guessing of Casey. Granted Jacks 2nd guessing is a little better than the forums, but it all adds up for me and makes me gag. lol. I admit to being a Casey fan, so it probably bothers me more than others.
    I was going to say, there's been quite a bit to question DC for throughout the season. Several losses were squarely on his in-game management, IMO. I'm not saying he's a bad coach or that he should be fired but, just like players (especially rookies), he is inconsistent and needs to improve upon his weaknesses if this team is serious about playoffs next season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I was going to say, there's been quite a bit to question DC for throughout the season. Several losses were squarely on his in-game management, IMO. I'm not saying he's a bad coach or that he should be fired but, just like players (especially rookies), he is inconsistent and needs to improve upon his weaknesses if this team is serious about playoffs next season.
    I agree, I really like Casey and think he is capable of improving. I think he is great in certain areas of the job. But others not so much. I just hope he can improve as a head coach moving forward and notice his mistakes cause I would hate to see him get fired but if he doesn't improve then I hope we can keep him as an assistant coach.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I see some of the sub patterns and question them too.

However, I think his biggest strength is behind the scenes. That is something fans can never second guess, so we end up with a lot of comments where people are calling him a bad coach because he missed a sub opportunity and I don't think that is fair.

Triano might have had good substitutions but he was no where near the motivator that Casey is. I think Casey is humble enough to know when to be a hard ass and when to back off. I like him a lot and think he can evolve into one of the best coaches in the game, we just need to cut him some slack.

That said, the efforts I have seen from the team comes from Casey, and that is never mentioned. His critics just take for granted that you can make it to OT with ta top team, and then blame him for a bad sub. Not realizing that to get to that point you needed a coach that could work wonders with this roster, which he has.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I see some of the sub patterns and question them too.

However, I think his biggest strength is behind the scenes. That is something fans can never second guess, so we end up with a lot of comments where people are calling him a bad coach because he missed a sub opportunity and I don't think that is fair.

Triano might have had good substitutions but he was no where near the motivator that Casey is. I think Casey is humble enough to know when to be a hard ass and when to back off. I like him a lot and think he can evolve into one of the best coaches in the game, we just need to cut him some slack.

That said, the efforts I have seen from the team comes from Casey, and that is never mentioned. His critics just take for granted that you can make it to OT with ta top team, and then blame him for a bad sub. Not realizing that to get to that point you needed a coach that could work wonders with this roster, which he has.
    I don't think its just the sub patterns tho... I don't think he is much of an X's and O's guy either. His in game coaching really needs to improve from the usage of time-outs to offensive sets and especially in crunch time. I don't feel like we run a disciplined offense when it counts and some of the play calls in crucial moments are head-scratching. When a team consistently fails to inbound the ball i believe that is 100% on the coach. Alotta times it comes down to out-coaching the other coach or team. I do agree with the points you made tho and I think his strengths deserve more credit but I just want to see him become a more well rounded NBA caliber head coach..
    Last edited by FoxMachine; Tue Feb 12th, 2013 at 05:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I want Casey to be more rounded as well.

That said, end game opportunities don't come often, so he needs to learn on the job. With a guy of his motivational qualities, I am more than good with him learning on the job.

...and the good news is that he does learn on the job, originally we wanted to see more val, we got that. Even the X's and O's have been good lately, like anything in life, the more reps you get the better you become. I think Casey is a serious coaching talent, and I am willing to develop him.

I would like to hear Jack give the Case more credit.

Post Thanks / Like

I want Casey to be more rounded as well.

That said, end game opportunities don't come often, so he needs to learn on the job. With a guy of his motivational qualities, I am more than good with him learning on the job.

...and the good news is that he does learn on the job, originally we wanted to see more val, we got that. Even the X's and O's have been good lately, like anything in life, the more reps you get the better you become. I think Casey is a serious coaching talent, and I am willing to develop him.

I would like to hear Jack give the Case more credit.
    We've heard jack rant about how perfect he is for the raptors and almost go overboard in holding Casey on a pedestal many times.. I think jack is pretty fair and the concerns he brings up during games are valid even if he may be wrong.. Most of the time I find myself agreeing with jack during games but I may be wrong too

Post Thanks / Like

I think you hit the nail on the head,

in order for someone to be insulted by another's opinion, it must mean you value the person with the opinion, otherwise its just wind. So this probably stems from my respect of Jack's basketball opinion.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah well I don't like your young hipster looking Donald Sutherland Avatar mocking at me.

Post Thanks / Like

lol, all i know of hipsters is in jpegs, not my era, much older.... donald sutherland was actually relevant back in my day

Post Thanks / Like

I like Jack, hate Leo.

Miami's commentators are THE very best in the league for non-nationally televised games. i.e. TNT, ESPN.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya I definitely agree, I like jack but lately he has been sideline coaching waaay too much. This game he kept going on about how Rudy should be in the game even with 4 fouls ..and obviously was wrong cuz Casey needed him for the exact reason he kept him on the bench.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack Armstrong is a hack and so far out of touch with todays NBA. Matt Devlin makes uneducated comments about the most insignificant things regularly. I can't believe the league hires Dev to do games during the playoffs. Worst tandom in the league.

# Bringbacktheswarsk

Thread Information