Thread: Alan Anderson = Anthony Parker?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alan Anderson = Anthony Parker?

Does anyone else see similarities in their games? They have decently similar stats in their time with Toronto (Parker being the better 3pt shooter). Both not meant to be the first option on the court, but when they do shoot you either praise their skills as gods or want to rip your hair out. To anyone who might say Anthony Parker is more reserved as a player, our true Raptor fans vividly remember his continuous post-up fadeaways, drifters from the free throw line, and curling off screens into fadeaways. Not discounting AP's value, one of my favourite Raptors of all-time.

PS, long time reader first time poster. Real excited to be part of the RR community.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about this the other day, and while they may be having a similar impact stat wise, I think they are completely different players. Parker was a better "team" player. He could facilitate and blended in the offense well. Anderson seems to need the ball in his hands to be effective and stalls the offense quite a bit when he has the ball on the wing. I would also venture to say Parker was more consistant than Anderson, but that could be to having a more defined role.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Parker was a good blend of Fields and Anderson

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice post, and I'd say AP is a pretty good comparison with AP being a better 3 point shooter later in his career and AA being the more physical defender.

Much like AP, I think AA's future with the Raptors relies on his ability to change his game a bit more towards becoming a spot up shooter whom can spread the floor for Rudy, DeMar and our future low post scorer(s).

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good comparison, last night we saw the journeyman vet with high ball iq again our legit 6th man, I didnt know who he was the other last 2 weeks... He played smart last night which is the very least I expect from him. Relax Anderson pretty sure he will keep his job as long as he defends and hits a shot here and there.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We didn't see Parker venture into the paint as often as Anderson does.

And in terms of physique, Anderson seems bigger/stronger which makes him capable of guarding SGs and SFs interchangeably.

But I agree that Parker was the more consistent player. He didn't have this many "up & down" games. You pretty much knew exactly what you're going to get from Parker from one game to the next, whereas with Anderson, it's anyone's guess.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont really see any similarities between their games. The only similarity is that they're vets who can knock down a 3.

Parker was a far more versatile player with a much better offensive game.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Fields is much more like Parker, once his 3pt shot returns. Parker was a great defender (Fields much better defender than Anderson) and played really well off the ball (Fields is great at this, whereas Anderson needs the ball). Hopefully Fields' wrist gets back to 100% and he can practice his shooting in the offseason, so he can return as a solid glue guy next year, filling the Parker role for this team.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

AP could also slide over and play relief minutes at PG... if AA could do that, it'd be a huge bandaid solution to one of the team's most glaring issues currently.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Parker was a consistent shooter, reliable defender, utility man who could play a few positions when needed, a solid influence on team mates and had a high basketball IQ. Anderson is none of the above. The only similarities I see and is not mentioned above is that they are both good free throw shooters and stats. which Anderson manages to get with his 'once in a while' high scoring like yesterday.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    Parker was a good blend of Fields and Anderson
    I'd agree with this. Parker is more of an outside shooter, while Anderson is a scorer, both are really good defenders.

Raptors Republic Rookie footarez's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Parker was older and on the downside of his career when he joined the Raptors but even then he was a lot better than Anderson ever will be.
    There was even a strecth of 5-10 games where Parker played the point. Can you imagine Anderson bringing up the ball ? He would immediately shoot it
    Last edited by footarez; Thu Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote footarez wrote: View Post
    Parker was older and on the downside of his career when he joined the Raptors but even then he was a lot better than Anderson ever will be.
    There was even a strecth of 5-10 games where Parker played the point. Can you imagine Anderson bringing up the ball ? He would immediately shoot it
    Your avatar doesn't say homer.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

they both played for Maccabi Tel-Aviv.

by the way, they still love AP down in the promised land but if you mention AA, they won't even know who are you talking about.

Raptors Republic Rookie footarez's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not saying Parker was perfect but if you don't see how better Parker was in 2006 for example compared to Anderson now (around the same age I guess) - sure ,homer it is

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote footarez wrote: View Post
    I am not saying Parker was perfect but if you don't see how better Parker was in 2006 for example compared to Anderson now (around the same age I guess) - sure ,homer it is
    Have to agree. Parker had better court vision, was a better defender (though Anderson is one of the better Raps defenders of the last few years) and had better shot selection. He definitely didn't slash tot he basket as much, but maybe he didn't have to. His shot was more consistent.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only similarity they have is they played for Maccabi Tel Aviv. In terms of their game, Alan Anderson brings more nasty while Anthony Parker has a calming effect.

If Alan Anderson had the same discipline as Anthony Parker, with his ball skills, he's a legitimate rotation player and he can even start for some teams. I believe Anderson has better ball skills than each Raptor player except for Gay. He's slightly ahead of Lowry for me because he has size for his position where as Lowry is short.

He's the only guy besides Gay who can break his man down off the bounce and go either way.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Rookie ryley_b's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I see the comparison but I don't love it. People forget how good Parker was at coming off screens and knocking down a shot. He was a much better passer and definitely a better spot-up shooter. Both of them play pretty good D though.

Anderson is a better shot creator, trash talker, disappointed face maker and that's about it.

Also worth noting: How is every player in the league still getting cooked off that little shimmy shake Anderson does? He goes right every single time but defenders are still jumping outta his way on that move.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ryley_b wrote: View Post
    I see the comparison but I don't love it. People forget how good Parker was at coming off screens and knocking down a shot. He was a much better passer and definitely a better spot-up shooter. Both of them play pretty good D though.

Anderson is a better shot creator, trash talker, disappointed face maker and that's about it.

Also worth noting: How is every player in the league still getting cooked off that little shimmy shake Anderson does? He goes right every single time but defenders are still jumping outta his way on that move.
    I know! He doesn't look quick at all, but blows by guys like he's LBJ. I'm guessing with all the better defenders on Gay and Demar, the subpar defenders just can't handle him

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ryley_b wrote: View Post
    Probably because a scouting report doesn't exist for Anderson. Nobody knows who he is....
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Thread Information