Toronto Dunk City?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Dunk City?

Feb. 19 -- Don't look now, but Toronto is steadily evolving into the newest Mecca of the dunk.

Years ago, Vince Carter, Toronto's godfather of the dunk, put on a show for the ages and etched his name with the greats of the Dunk Contest. Current Raptor DeMar DeRozan sits atop the field on the Dunk Ladder and it might take something extremely special to strip him of the ranking. Even the newest Raptor, Rudy Gay, has spent time on the Dunk Ladder over the past few seasons.

But the jamming Raptor of the moment is none other than 2013 Sprite Slam Dunk champion and Dunk Ladder resident Terrence Ross. Hip Hop artist and Toronto native "Mr. Started From the Bottom" Drake couldn't be happier to see Ross and his city at the top. And with the high-flying act that they have in addition to gaining steam as a team (Toronto is currently on a four-game win streak as of Feb. 19), the Raptors could be ready to break out as the latest team to watch down the stretch.

Have comments about the 2013 Sprite Slam Dunk Contest? Share your thoughts by writing us at NBADunkLadder@turner.com.

-- LeMont Calloway, NBA.com
    http://www.nba.com/dunk-ladder/2012-...=iref:nbahpt6f

I'm speechless on this.

It's funny how easily the media is swayed.

Actually, check that....it's quite startling.

Comment

US media ATTENTION?!?!

D:
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

come on casey
        run it for 50 points in the paint

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
          US media ATTENTION?!?!

D:
          I assume you are being sarcastic?

Its an embarrassing reality how enamored Canadians are with getting attention in the US, a little brother syndrome if you will. I am a Canadian ExPat living in Michigan and still have a deep connection with Canada (will be returning in a few years after completing my training). A part of me wishes that we can be comfortable enough with our own identity to not care whether or not our country gets attention in their country. I, for one, couldn't care less that the Raptors are getting coverage in US media.
          Welp, that sucked.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post

Its an embarrassing reality how enamored Canadians are with getting attention in the US, a little brother syndrome if you will. I am a Canadian ExPat living in Michigan and still have a deep connection with Canada (will be returning in a few years after completing my training). A part of me wishes that we can be comfortable enough with our own identity to not care whether or not our country gets attention in their country. I, for one, couldn't care less that the Raptors are getting coverage in US media.
            I couldnt care less about your opinion either. This is the NBA, and the Raptors coverage in a US market directly affects the outlook of Free Agent signings and imo Referee biases as well. I am for one upset when the media disrespects Toronto and continues to push the myths that the Raptors a fringe NBA market, and the only reason they would say such lies is because of our lack of coverage.
            Yes sir, coverage has actual effects on a franchise's future. It is always a positive when the awfully reluctant Turner Cable Media Corp recognizes the Raptors for anything.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post

I could care less personally but, as a Raptors fan, the lack of US media coverage (ie: highlights and opportunities for sponsorship deals) plays a big role in my team's ability to attract/keep big name players, so I have no choice but to care. It's an unfortunate reality of the NBA player fame & fortune landscape, which has absolutely nothing to do with any real/perceived 'little brother' syndrome.

Comment

"Mr. Started From the Bottom" Drake
                lol... i wasn't aware that starting as a rich jewish kid from forest hill is considered "the bottom" these days

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                  lol... i wasn't aware that starting as a rich jewish kid from forest hill is considered "the bottom" these days
                  +10ftw

Comment

I think that there isn't a lot of credibility to that nickname based on how many in game dunks you see from raps players. I would love to see more in game dunks (because they are really high % shots) and to deserve that nickname.

I don't care about media coverage in the US. I also think that the idea that we don't get quality free agents because of US media coverage is a RED HERRING. We don't get major free agent signings because we suck balls. Not because we don't get US media coverage.

Ask the Bucks, Bobcats, T-Wolves, kings, or the pre-Griffin Clippers about media coverage and signing free agents. If you win, they will come. END OF STORY
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Demar had a transition slam last night. Gay had free break dunk. JV posterized Nene.

I think it's safe to say we are Dunk City.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

What about Clippers?

Comment

The best part of our dunks are the bench reactions.

That Jonas dunk is way better with the bench losing its shit. The team has some really nice chemistry like that.

Comment

omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                            What about Clippers?
                            i believe they chose the name "Lob City"
                            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                              Demar had a transition slam last night. Gay had free break dunk. JV posterized Nene.

I think it's safe to say we are Dunk City.
                              And all of them were NASTY.

Comment

Working...
                              X