Thread: Jonas at PF.

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jonas at PF.

Can anyone ever see Jonas playing PF and getting a big C to play along side with?

Like Gasol-Bynum?

Just a thought.

Also, what do you think Jonas' best stats in a season will be? What is possible for him to achieve?

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One of JV's biggest advantages is his speed at the 5 spot. You completely negate that when you move him to PF, especially with the league moving towards smaller lineups. Some teams, like the Lakers, are able to pull it off because both players are all-star level type guys... That's a big difference between Jonas and [player to be named later].

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

what would the point of not playing Jonas at C be?

If he hasn't got where you want him to be as a Centre.... there's a pretty good explanation... he's a ROOKIE.. and despite any freshman hiccups, i'd say he's performed admirably

moving him to the 4 opens up a whole new can of worms.... who's this mythical C that's going to play alongside him? There's only a handful of worthwhile true Cs in the league. Given the Raptors transaction history, what's the likelyhood of getting one of them? Does our track record indicate that we'd be able to get one through free agency? if we trade for one, who would we have to give up, given that decent to good centres are a hot commodity? Are you willing to see Demar or Ross get moved? I'll almost guarantee nobody is giving up a legit C for JL3 and Alan Anderson.

Keep his role what it is.. he'll grow into it and has already shown positive signs there anyways. it's way too early to give him a positional identity crisis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    One of JV's biggest advantages is his speed at the 5 spot. You completely negate that when you move him to PF, especially with the league moving towards smaller lineups. Some teams, like the Lakers, are able to pull it off because both players are all-star level type guys... That's a big difference between Jonas and [player to be named later].
    That was the key, plus they had Kobe. Elite perimeter defender and scorer + 2 all-star bigs = success. Raps are missing basically all of those things.
    F*ck Brooklyn

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Jonas at the C.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of quick, versatile, athletic 4s in the league (Griffin, Aldridge, Lee, Jefferson, Garnett, Ibaka, Stoudamire, etc.).

I love Jonas' energy and hustle, but I think he'd get roasted guarding these guys on a nightly basis.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    There are a lot of quick, versatile, athletic 4s in the league (Griffin, Aldridge, Lee, Jefferson, Garnett, Ibaka, Stoudamire, etc.).

I love Jonas' energy and hustle, but I think he'd get roasted guarding these guys on a nightly basis.
    I agree.

I think Jonas has a good chance to become a better than average starting center but I am not optimistic if he were to play power forward. I think he does not have the lateral quickness to guard quick power forwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Jonas is 7' tall, athletically faster and quicker than all of the other centres in the league. He's only going to be stronger, and I think once he bulks up - even near to the way Ed bulked up - he's going to be a mismatch for a lot of other centres in the future.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jonas is not a PF. Period. End of discussion.

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Jonas is not a PF. Period. End of discussion.
    +1

Playing Jonas at 4 is ridiculous. Why would you do that? Should we also move Lowry to SF?

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jonas is the big center you pair Gasol with. He's 21, the lack of bulk is just due to his age, he's going to be a 270 pounder when he's 25. Jonas' biggest advantage is that he's tall and strong enough to bother any center who he guards and he's fast enough that they have trouble. At power forward he would lose his speed.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It was just a thought, JEEZ.

Raptors Republic Rookie G-locity's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

JV is only 20 yrs old and once his upper body catches up with his lower half, watch out folks! This comming off season will be huge for him regarding conditioning and working on his skill set and strength. We all kmow for a fact that everybody will be keeping an eye on him come next training camp or at the summer league on how much work he put in on his game and body. Im not saying that he will develop into a monster big but if he can be somewhere like a Tyson Chandler build then we're all set at the 5 spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Jonas at 4th quarter I would buy into, not Jonas at 4.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jonas is an old school centre. It's what he plays and what he knows. Having him play another position would be a waste of time trying to acclimate to something he's not naturally inclined towards.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think some people are over reacting in their responses. I agree that JV is going to do FINE as a Center and there is no NEED to go out trying to land a Dwight/Bynum/Marc Gasol/Gortat type center.

However, the name of the game is talent acquistion, and if the raps were to somehow luck into a very talented big man who was less mobile than JV I think you easily slide JV to the PF spot. He is very mobile, both on offense and defense and I'm fairly certain he's going to develop a fairly reliable mid range jumper. Offensively, he can space the floor with his mid range and cutting to the basket. Defensively, he'll do a descent job of guarding smaller quicker PFs (in national games he's been know to pressure opposing point guards, with his on the ball defense) I agree that he'll have some trouble, but having the big hypothetical Center behind him will help cover problems of him getting beat off the bounce.

So, yes, if the raps happened to get this mythical beast of a center, I don't see an issue sliding JV over to the PF spot.
    That said, You'd better be getting a top 3 center in the league, otherwise it'll make more sense to keep JV as the center and bring the other guy off the bench as the first rotation guy. There's no reason to go looking for a big center or try to get one through a trade. However if we do end up getting one, and the only scenario i can think of is getting one as BPA in a draft, I think JV has the talent and athleticism to be fine.

But it's V E R Y unlikey, and not something management should pursue.

Having two big bigs, Gasol-Bynum, Duncan-Robinson, Randolph-Gasol, can work, but you've got to have two special players for it to work.
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Sat Feb 23rd, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the best, quick, elite centres in the league was matched up with JV last night...Chandler...who was most sought after before he signed with the Knicks. And JV in his rookie season has always matched up really well against him. Chandler is in double digit seasons I believe so imagine what the ceiling is for JV if all holds well....and he hasnt even begun to show his offensive talents yet.

Raptors Republic Rookie Checkines's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean sure, Val has some developing range, and I wasn't opposed to us drafting Drummond the past draft. I could see those two as big athletic bigs working well together

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do people like moving natural position players out of position. Mind boggling.
    @RavNation

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gasol is a terrible example because he works best as a C.

Recall the Lakers game when we faced him, once Howard got ejected and they moved Gasol to C, we had no answer.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Thread Information