Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Enough with the Tanking Rationale... This is Not a Video Game

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Of the examples, only Alonzo Mourning and John Salmons were in the past decade.

Mourning is a story we're all familiar with that has nothing to do with risk of a player not willing to play for us. He was nearly the twilight of his career and he'd just been traded to a team that was gutted. I myself would not want to go there. No one would.

John Salmons saw a better deal from the Kings and went for it. It's no different that Jordan changing his mind and not doing a trade. It ain't final until the man signs on the dotted line.

The BJ Armstrong situation is extremely unique, because likely the only reason Armstrong refused to come to the Raptors was because we're in Canada and we were an unknown at the time of the expansion. Let's face it even now there are Americans who think we live in igloos.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

@JImiCliff - How many of those teams intentionally tanked to get those picks and how many players selected within the range of players you listed have turned out to be busts or even mediocre players. As I mentioned earlier, we have five guys on our roster within that range. Often times a draft class is devoid of true franchise players. The odds of landing a franchise guy to build around are very slim and a lot of luck has to come into play. Can't believe Kobe was 13th! Tanking is no surefire, tried and true method of becoming a contender in this league. I still say fight for every win possible regardless of the fall out.

@RaptorsRepublic - Thanks for making this thread a feature. I'll have to contribute more it seems.
    Last edited by Sprechen; Fri Mar 1st, 2013 at 10:58 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    So because BJ Armstrong didn't want to come to Canada and suit up for an expansion team 20 years ago out of the expansion draft, you've given up all hope on building through the draft lottery?

And even if I were to give you the benefit of the doubt by lumping the expansion draft process in the same category as the lottery draft (which I don't), that doesn't apply to any of the other names on your list which you seem to be basing your entire theory around.

Furthermore, there's plenty of evidence to support the contrary that is much more recent AND relevant. The Raptors 4 leading scorers (and 5 of the top 7) of all time were all drafted by the team. Pssst... most of them were lottery picks too.
    WOW. Your stats are cute....but not really relevant. How can you be proud of that? Our leading scorers? To me, you are proving why we need to change our approach. Let's start with what really matters.

Championships & Playoff appearances. You must be trying to win a scoring title. I want to win the NBA CHAMPIONSHIP. The one given to the winning TEAM. OUR current formula has brought ONE (1) Eastern Conference SEMI Final Playoff series & FOUR (4) first round knockouts. 5/18 is not good enough. Developing talent for other teams is not good enough. Time for a change of approach don't you think?

Just take a look at our 30 draft picks. Read the entire list. We take the best player, they don't stay. We take what we need, we get rid of them. We've been pissing in the wind. Let's look at the team that got us the furthest into the playoffs. The 2000-2001 Toronto Raptors. Charles Oakley, Chris Childs, Keon Clark, Antonio Davis. Drafted? By Toronto? Hmmmm. Let's look at the Grizzlies. Same amount of time in the league. Same playoff experience. Marc Gasol was drafted by the Grizzlies? No. Zach Randolph was drafted by the Grizzles? Nooooooooo.

If you think i'm gonna wait another 20 years for the NEXT "franchise player" to build around your sick. Is there a higher probability THIS FRANCHISE is gonna the draft the next Lebron James or the next Araujo?

Seriously? Fer real? Please. TRADES & FREE AGENCY. End of story.
    Last edited by RepRaptorsintheUSA; Sat Mar 2nd, 2013 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Spelling issues because of red hot anger

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sprechen wrote: View Post
    @RaptorsRepublic - Thanks for making this thread a feature. I'll have to contribute more it seems.
    No prob Sprechen. Good discussion.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sprechen wrote: View Post
    @JImiCliff - How many of those teams intentionally tanked to get those picks
    That's an excellent point - not many. Seattle/OKC and Cleveland (twice [! {now with Irving}]) are the only examples that really jump out at me.

But my feeling is, if there's a player who looks like surefire franchise player, you should tank if it improve your odds. Wiggins looks like that kind of player. Also - and this is so important - he's a Canadian, from this city. So he'd probably stick around after his rookie contract. If the Raptors are serious about becoming a championship team, and not just a good team, they should do everything they possibly can to increase the chance that they get Wiggins. Which means tanking.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, we need to tank faster, harder, and sell off a whole bunch of big contracts to make room for the future (and hopefully Wiggins). That means Bargnani, Gay and Landry at minimum and getting back picks. I wish we still had ED but something had to give. Just... Colangelo doesn't know how to tank properly and keep good picks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information