Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Bench....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    *sigh* We don't literally mean that the 8 players are the only players that play, just the only ones who should weigh down any significant amount of minutes. Go back, and check the minutes of those other players that played. I guarantee you on that 1 team that played 12 guys, don't have more than 9 guys playing 15+ minutes.
    Well, using that 15 minute benchmark of yours, the Raps' recent rotations have been 8 with 10 players used, 7 when 9 players used, 7 with 11 players used, 8 with 10 players used, 8 with 10 players used.................etc, with most of these "extra players" putting in 5-6 minutes. What do you know? Just like the rest of the league,,,,,, not unlike "most of the league".

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you can have it both ways. You play Ross with the goal of making the playoffs, if you can't do it with him in the line up then so be it. Although I'm of the opinion that the raps aren't going to make the playoffs no matter what they do.

I'm too lazy to try to track down the source but a study of nba player performance indicates that the best predictor of success for a player is how many minutes they get, not where they were drafted, or what kind of stats they are put up as rookies. If you want him to be good you have to play him. If that means we don't win games so be it. I'm not saying he has to play 48, or even 24, but he's got to see between 10-15 minutes.

Try to win the games, try to make the playoffs, but get ross his 10-15.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    You were already proven wrong by using boxscores to determine rotations. There was nothing more I needed to say.
    Nothing proven wrong, but keep talking out of your other orifice. It's enjoyable to see the diahrea spouting from you.

Post Thanks / Like

You were already proven wrong by using boxscores to determine rotations. There was nothing more I needed to say.
    +1
    Whatever you do, do it the best you can

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    It's enjoyable to see the diahrea spouting from you.
    You like looking at diarrhea?
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Yes. One can learn a lot about the butthole it's spouting from.

PS. ever heard of the term verbal diarrhea? sorry I can't draw pictures here.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    LOL! I'm sure there are plenty of other sites where p00ka can find what he's looking for...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    +1
    How was I proven wrong? Don't be afraid. I only bite when dealing with Nilanka like weasels.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL! I'm sure there are plenty of other sites where p00ka can find what he's looking for...
    Why would I go anywhere else when you're here, and worth more than enough fun.

Post Thanks / Like

How was I proven wrong? Don't be afraid. I only bite when dealing with Nilanka like weasels.
    Ever heard of this team called the Lakers?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Why would I go anywhere else when you're here, and worth more than enough fun.
    If constantly changing your screen name in a futile attempt to make internet friends, is your idea of fun, knock yourself out

Post Thanks / Like

Well, using that 15 minute benchmark of yours, the Raps' recent rotations have been 8 with 10 players used, 7 when 9 players used, 7 with 11 players used, 8 with 10 players used, 8 with 10 players used.................etc, with most of these "extra players" putting in 5-6 minutes. What do you know? Just like the rest of the league,,,,,, not unlike "most of the league".
    Okay, well who are the players in those minutes? Seriously, consistency and rotation management throughout a game is more than just a regular tight rotation, not just minutes and people who stepped on, than step off 30 seconds later.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

If constantly changing your screen name in a futile attempt to make internet friends, is your idea of fun, knock yourself out
    If inventing shit, and ignoring what I said to explain this name change, lubes your tubes, keep spewing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Okay, well who are the players in those minutes? Seriously, consistency and rotation management throughout a game is more than just a regular tight rotation, not just minutes and people who stepped on, than step off 30 seconds later.
    We can get into a detailed analysis of various teams' rotations and how they're executed, but that's not the point. A statement was made that the Raps are maintaining an "x" man rotation when they should be shortening the bench like "most teams" at this time of year. The facts say that the Raps aren't using any more players, for any more minutes, than the vast majority of teams are, but your welcome to show me otherwise.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think casey is trying the 8/9 man rotation but the guys he throws on just can't produce. So he trys mixing things around, although this far into the season he should already know who and who not to play.
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    ...although this far into the season he should already know who and who not to play.
    Except there are very few players demonstrating any kind of consistency. One game Anderson goes off for 20 and you needed them. Next game it's Lucas. Of Fields is all that's stopping the opposing wing from beasting it. I pitty Casey dealing with this schizophrenic crew.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever heard of this team called the Lakers?
    So you've shifted from "most teams" to 1. Slick maneuver!

Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Our bench is too deep in the sense that Casey uses too many players. He should only pick his 3 best bench players, and let everyone else ride the pine.

If Lowry, DeRozan, Gay, Amir and Jonas are his starters, our bench only needs a PG (Lucas or Telfair...but not both), a backup wing (one of Fields, Anderson or Ross), and a backup big (one of Bargnani or Gray).

The 12-man rotations have got to stop. Play the starters heavy minutes. They're our best players. The purpose of the bench is to give the starters a rest...that's it.

We're coming down the home stretch of the season. We need to get into a playoff rotation. No more crazy, whacky lineups/ substitutions. Identify your top 8 guys and stick to it, dammit!

End of rant.
    Really well put. Been thinking this for a while; only got reinforced after the Gay trade which should have put the SF rotation issues to bed.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For this to work, Casey needs to decide whether they're playing for today, or next season. Ross isn't ready to contribute to winning games. But his development is important for this team's future. Casey can't have it both ways.
    I think coaches are always playing to win games. And the Gay trade made it clear that we're trying squeak into the playoffs this year. Hence, Ross being nailed to the bench.

The big problem with the roster right now (or at least, one of the big problems) is that we have too much talent at the wings. Ross, Anderson, and Fields are probably our best three bench players at this very moment. And you can only play two of them, at most, in a game.

Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You know, I only partially blame Casey for these problem. BC is also to blame for not having a truly differentiated depth chart. That is, as with the Telfair acquisition he provides a different option, but not a differentiably betteroption and thus Casey's already troubling decision making problems are only compounded.

Thread Information