Casey is getting on my last nerve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I think what he meant is that with such limited ways to improve the team moving forward (i.e. no draft pick this summer, low-value assets on expensive contracts, and no cap space), we're inadvertently in "win now" mode...but without the talent required to do so.
    That about sums it up.

Raps are in a situation for the next season or two where they lack opportunities to significantly alter the roster without giving up a major piece already here (minus Bargnani).

It is time to start squeezing the most out of every drop of talent here. I honestly don't think Casey does that with his in game decision making and game preparation.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      People with knowledge are not immune to mistakes
      I'm not saying he can't make mistakes, but the mistakes everyone is quoting are the same ones...JV doesn't play in the 4th quarter, why is Bargs playing, why is Anderson playing, why doesn't Ross get any minutes, whats up with these rotations..if it was a random issue it's more likely that maybe it's a mistake. When it's the same issue it's being done on purpose and that's what I'm referring to. I trust that there are reasons why he does those things which we as fans and not exactly the greatest of basketball minds when it comes to b'ball tactics may not comprehend.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        That is another point of concern this year.

I'm not sure the fundamentals are sinking in. The offense has improved but it is hardly stellar but the defense - which I thought from comments over the last couple of years is supposed to be the bigger concern - is getting worse.
        yeah, the regression from last season to this season on the defensive end has been disappointing. We are trying to integrate a rookie Centre, as well as a host of new players though, so I'm not completely disappointed. Also, when James Johnson left and Feilds came in I felt that JJ's defense would be missed. Like him or not, he was a pretty good defender.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          I'm not saying he can't make mistakes, but the mistakes everyone is quoting are the same ones...JV doesn't play in the 4th quarter, why is Bargs playing, why is Anderson playing, why doesn't Ross get any minutes, whats up with these rotations..if it was a random issue it's more likely that maybe it's a mistake. When it's the same issue it's being done on purpose and that's what I'm referring to. I trust that there are reasons why he does those things which we as fans and not exactly the greatest of basketball minds when it comes to b'ball tactics may not comprehend.
          +1
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I don't have the time to read every comment, so I apologize if this has been mentioned...... but has anyone else noticed how many times a game Matt Devlin says "Casey is screaming at his players to X, Y, Z" and they're not doing it? I don't mean after the fact. I mean in the moment they don't seem to be listening to him. They grab a rebound. Matt says Casey is yelling to push it, but whoever has the ball Lowry, Derozan, Gay.... is walking it up pounding it into the ground. Is Casey wrong? Does he not know what he's talking about? Do the players not hear him (only Matt Devlin)? Do they not care?

The one thing people seem to agree about is that Casey's greatest coaching attribute is his motivation/communication/development of young players.......but I don't know how to reconcile that with what I see watching the games on TV where the players seem to constantly ignore his coaching while on the floor.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              I think the issue is that the time to take that step forward is sometime within the next couple of seasons. I think the idea not being that they have to be contenders before Gay leaves, but that they need to be better than a team that desperately scrapes into the playoffs.

Casey is certainly not a bad coach. And I do think that in general he's good at developing young players and demanding results. I do question his handling of Ross much more than JV. I understand Ross makes a lot of mistakes, but he should still get at least 10-15 minutes minium (first sub in for Demar at each half, and longer or extra stints for good performance). JV I think has earned the right to at least a short 4th Q stint most games (as long as he's not obviously struggling, or in bad foul trouble), and I think that's something we'll start seeing more of from now on.

Beyond that I think his in-game management needs to get a loooot better. He could be worse, for sure, but his rotations are maddening. His roster decisions seem more desperate reactions to the other team than they seem like deliberate attempts to exploit matchups. He calls timeouts hestitantly at times when he should be more decisive/quick about it, and stubbornly decides to sometimes call one instead of letting the team play (I'm pretty sure I remember a few times this season where Jose or Kyle were visibly surprised by a timeout call as they saw they could get something from the D). I think his out-of-bounds plays are actually not bad at all, and that there, execution is all on the players...But what is much worse is that this team seems to bomb a lot of coming-out-of-the-timeout plays. This is also largely on the players, but I don't know that they've gotten better at it, and that is on coaching to make them improve in that area which is crucial for not just closing out games, but KEEPING LEADS at crucial earlier stretches so you don't get stuck in so many close games*....These are things that Casey can get better at, but I think he'll have to show that improvement from the start of next season to be considered an option going into future seasons.

*How many times has the team called a timeout to settle things down only to turn it into a turnover or botched possession?? Again, a lot is on the players, but a lot is on the coach to make sure that is something that gets better through the season. This team has not only lost a lot of close games, but has had the opportunity to be in far fewer close games down the stretch if they had found ways to stop the bleeding.
              Bunch of good points there. And again I'm not saying he doesn't make mistakes or shouldn't be criticized for some for some of his moves, but just that a lot of the things we criticize that he does on a regular basis are done on purpose. Like for example playing Anderson over Ross. If the goal is to win I'd play Anderson every game. Ross is the more dynamic player and does the things which catches our eye, but Anderson is the the guy who is going to make the right play, the higher percentage of the time. I think we both agree now that playoffs are out of the picture Ross will get more burn.

On the bright side Casey really seems like a student of the game. He strikes me as the type of guy that wants to get better at his craft and while our players get their homework on things to improve on during the off season, I beleive Casey to be the type of coach whom is modest enough to work on improving his coaching abilities as well. Whether that means attending certain camps or conferences for coaches or picking fellow coaches' minds on ways he himself can improve.

I'm not ready to throw him under the bus. Quite far from it actually.
              Last edited by Mediumcore; Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Paradigm Shift wrote: View Post
                I don't have the time to read every comment, so I apologize if this has been mentioned...... but has anyone else noticed how many times a game Matt Devlin says "Casey is screaming at his players to X, Y, Z" and they're not doing it? I don't mean after the fact. I mean in the moment they don't seem to be listening to him. They grab a rebound. Matt says Casey is yelling to push it, but whoever has the ball Lowry, Derozan, Gay.... is walking it up pounding it into the ground. Is Casey wrong? Does he not know what he's talking about? Do the players not hear him (only Matt Devlin)? Do they not care?

The one thing people seem to agree about is that Casey's greatest coaching attribute is his motivation/communication/development of young players.......but I don't know how to reconcile that with what I see watching the games on TV where the players seem to constantly ignore his coaching while on the floor.

Andrea clearly did not care last game, Casey was saying he was missing his rotation in the 1st and 2nd period, even after all they did that morning was practice their rotations.

What puzzles me is playing the same player the entire 4th quarter. We really should of played this game to win, not to play Andrea through his funk. He is not going to be in this league after this contract.

I really am pissed off that booing Andrea was the bigger story than the raps making the playoffs, and here we are again, playing less to our potential, only to PLEASE Andrea and feel sorry for him.

The booing is not vicious enough. He is still stealing Vals minutes, when Val is playing well.
                Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:28 PM.

Comment

meh. you can question pretty much ANYTHING if the team loses. i mean seriously, why would anyone want ROSS on the floor at this point, especially in crunch time? Hes had what, like 1 decent game in the past several months? some people are saying that putting Acy in the 4th would have helped too which is ridiculous.

frustration from watching your team lose is one thing, but just throwing out random 'solutions' and calling casey an idiot for his decisions (which i regard as much more sound than any forum/facebook pseudo-coach) is just kind of pointless. just because a few internet people agree with something doesn't make it even remotely right.

Comment

Acy plays much harder than Andrea.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                      Andrea clearly did not care last game, Casey was saying he was missing his rotation in the 1st and 2nd period, even after all they did that morning was practice their rotations.

What puzzles me is playing the same player the entire 4th quarter. We really should of played this game to win, not to play Andrea through his funk. He is not going to be in this league after this contract.

I really am pissed off that booing Andrea was the bigger story than the raps making the playoffs, and here we are again, playing less to our potential, only to PLEASE Andrea and feel sorry for him.

The booing is not vicious enough. He is still stealing Vals minutes, when Val is playing well.
                      I'm not talking about Andrea....he is in a total fog out there. I'm this close to suggesting a diagnosis of clinical depression. I'm actually beginning to feel bad for him.

But what about the other guys who are "part of the future", motivated by the possibilities (supposedly) why are they seemingly ignoring Casey (according to Matt) repeatedly?

Comment

All you points are legit. I'm not doubting Casey knows more than me - or anyone else here. But I think the issue is, in relation to other NBA quality coaches, he is not a good choice to move on with this team. The Raps have lost 13 games (?) where they had a lead in the 4th quarter. That is huge. To me it speaks to an inability to adapt or match the opposition. I don't know... I am really frustrated and disappointed with the last 2 games. Like many others have said, it is definitely my own fault for having faith in them.... how sad to be a Raptor fan.

It should be noted the core players aren't all <25 and working on rookie contracts - actually Lowry and Gay. Results are needed - and quick - or all this 'building' is for not and the Raps end up right back where they were less than 2 seasons ago with a young, inexperienced roster seeking more talent via the draft.

Comment

Paradigm Shift wrote: View Post
                          I'm not talking about Andrea....he is in a total fog out there. I'm this close to suggesting a diagnosis of clinical depression. I'm actually beginning to feel bad for him.

But what about the other guys who are "part of the future", motivated by the possibilities (supposedly) why are they seemingly ignoring Casey (according to Matt) repeatedly?
                          I got your point and heard the same, that Casey is screaming protect the middle, and cavs came down the middle as 1st option.

A coach can only suggest, the talent needs to actually do.

(still take Andreas minutes and give them Ed Davis, we squeak out a win)
                          Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:44 PM.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                            I got your point and heard the same, that Casey is screaming protect the middle, and cavs came down the middle as 1st option.

A coach can only suggest, the talent needs to actually do.
                            Maybe we're simply confused about semantics. I scream at the TV "watch the cutter underneath!" but it's too late by then. Maybe protect the middle during a half court set is too late or too complicated, maybe not...

I could be wrong but off a rebound with no one in the backcourt (from the other team) with you, there is nothing stopping you from running when the coach yells run. There's no lost reaction. It's not about what others do (If you leave the middle and they go there it's done). If the coach says push...push...or your simply ignoring him! I think it's a distinct case and I don't understand it ....but if I'm the only one, hey, np, it's just my problem :->

Comment

I kinda saw where Casey was going with playing Bargnani down the stretch. He was clearing the middle by letting Bargnani be his 3PT line camping self, dragging the opposing big to the perimeter and opening the lane for the wings to attack. Unfortunately, the wings decided they'd give the Cavs a break and shoot long twos and 3s instead of trying to make higher percentage shots. Plus the fact that both Gay and DeRozan played over 40 minutes and looked completely exhausted, same with Amir. So taking perimeter shots, although unsure, was much more appealing to them rather than exerting more effort going to the basket when they were already gassed out. And the fact the Lowry was 1-6 from deep didnt help either. His man kept sagging to the middle coz he knows Lowry aint getting anytthing in the hoop.

Solutions, IMO: Big needed. When shots arent falling for the guards and wings, you need a momentum stopper, a guy who plays back to the basket and slows the game down. On defense, same guy can use his body to block cutters, another thing that killed them last night.

Comment

I'm inclined to give DC benefit of the doubt. I'm sure there's a lot more going behind the scenes than we know it. I mean, NBA coaches are not stupid, and they no doubt have access to the +/- stats. If it's as easy as 'play Ross more minutes' and 'play JV in the 4th', than anyone could coach. He knows each player's deficiencies, strengths and psyche better than us spectators, and for him to not play JV or Ross, he has reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X