Casey is getting on my last nerve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    And again, not just 5 best players, but also clearly the best unit on the night that was beating the other team with relative ease almost all the time they were on the floor. I can understand even not wanting JV (or any rookie) in down the stretch...but still, that he didn't give that unit at least a 4-5 minute run in the 4th is retarded.

my little sister, who goes to games for the half time show, wrote me a text yesterday that said...."why don't they just put on the same 5 players who started the game? they were doing so well!"

Comment

I've never really criticized any of the coaches here because: the roster has been such garbage, I can't see what goes on behind the scenes, and, in any case, I don't think 90% of coaches make much of a difference either way.

Having said that, I don't think anyone can make an argument that Casey uses his personnel in an optimal way. Last night, what really struck me was playing Bargnani as the lone big. WEveryone knows that doesn't work. It hasn't worked for 7 years. That's not about Casey finding his way, or trying something or being "forced to play" someone. That's just a huge coaching mistake that's completely avoidable. We will always have issues with every coach and his substitution patterns but this was just a massive unforced error that effectively ended any chance they had of winning the game.

There have been far too many of these types of errors this year. Casey might be fine for a rebuilding team but I don't see how they can take him into next season with the idea of being a playoff team.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        I've never really criticized any of the coaches here because: the roster has been such garbage, I can't see what goes on behind the scenes, and, in any case, I don't think 90% of coaches make much of a difference either way.

Having said that, I don't think anyone can make an argument that Casey uses his personnel in an optimal way. Last night, what really struck me was playing Bargnani as the lone big. WEveryone knows that doesn't work. It hasn't worked for 7 years. That's not about Casey finding his way, or trying something or being "forced to play" someone. That's just a huge coaching mistake that's completely avoidable. We will always have issues with every coach and his substitution patterns but this was just a massive unforced error that effectively ended any chance they had of winning the game.

There have been far too many of these types of errors this year. Casey might be fine for a rebuilding team but I don't see how they can take him into next season with the idea of being a playoff team.
        I sort of agree with you (don't 'know if I'd go with 90%...but yeah, there are maybe a handful of great coaches, a handful of absolutely atrocious ones, and a bunch of average ones with different strengthts)...

But as you point out, it's the sheer amount of unforced mistakes especially in regards to the rotation. I'm honestly not at all sure how Casey chooses his rotations, but I can't ever remember being more flabbergasted by such decisions.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I sort of agree with you (don't 'know if I'd go with 90%...but yeah, there are maybe a handful of great coaches, a handful of absolutely atrocious ones, and a bunch of average ones with different strengthts)...

But as you point out, it's the sheer amount of unforced mistakes especially in regards to the rotation. I'm honestly not at all sure how Casey chooses his rotations, but I can't ever remember being more flabbergasted by such decisions.
          It's clearly the fool proof "names in a hat" technique...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            It's clearly the fool proof "names in a hat" technique...
            Names in hat would be way more random.

Are you sure he doesn't just have a list of his players in alphabetical order? "A"nderson and "B"argnani say hi.

Sad face for "R"oss and "V"alanciunas.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

A coaching change is necessary IMO. While it would be great to see Sloan or Stan Van Gundy coaching the Raptors, it may not be a realistic expectation. Some of the lesser known coaches could work.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                A coaching change is necessary IMO. While it would be great to see Sloan or Stan Van Gundy coaching the Raptors, it may not be a realistic expectation. Some of the lesser known coaches could work.
                I disagree that we need to change coaches. I think that's more than a little hasty

This guy knows the game, he is just having trouble with the roster colangelo put together. Hell, the team themselves are having problems.

Lets give it time, although bargs did lay a nice stinker last night to screw over our playoff hopes one last time

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

This sums up my opinion.

The Raptors - like it or not - with the Gay trade are no longer building.... or even rebuilding. Games matters, wins count.

Casey appears to be a good motivator (up until lately) and a good teacher but I am questioning if he is the right choice for a team with the primary focus of winning.

Comment

I still maintain Casey is a good coach for a team learning defensive fundamentals. When it's time for the team to take a step forward into contenders it's probably time to find a better x's and o's coach, but we're still learning fundamentals so I'm okay with Casey. It's looking more and more like playoffs are an impossility, so I would think you'll see more of JV and Ross down the stretch, but I understand him not wanting to play rookies while playoffs are at stake. Everyone including me loves JV's hustle, but he makes a lot of mistakes, on the defensive end. Also understand the playing of Bargnani/Anderson with both DeMar and Rudy, neither of whom can hit a 3 pointer and need space to work in the mid post area.

Guys, when in doubt just trust that Casey has more basketball knowledge in his pinky finger than everyone at the Republic combined.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                      Guys, when in doubt just trust that Casey has more basketball knowledge in his pinky finger than everyone at the Republic combined.
                      People with knowledge are not immune to mistakes

Comment

Matt did you just say the team is no longer building with the Gay Trade???

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                          Matt did you just say the team is no longer building with the Gay Trade???
                          I think what he meant is that with such limited ways to improve the team moving forward (i.e. no draft pick this summer, low-value assets on expensive contracts, and no cap space), we're inadvertently in "win now" mode...but without the talent required to do so.

Comment

I still maintain Casey is a good coach for a team learning defensive fundamentals. When it's time for the team to take a step forward into contenders it's probably time to find a better x's and o's coach, but we're still learning fundamentals so I'm okay with Casey. It's looking more and more like playoffs are an impossility, so I would think you'll see more of JV and Ross down the stretch, but I understand him not wanting to play rookies while playoffs are at stake. Everyone including me loves JV's hustle, but he makes a lot of mistakes, on the defensive end. Also understand the playing of Bargnani/Anderson with both DeMar and Rudy, neither of whom can hit a 3 pointer and need space to work in the mid post area.

That is another point of concern this year.

I'm not sure the fundamentals are sinking in. The offense has improved but it is hardly stellar but the defense - which I thought from comments over the last couple of years is supposed to be the bigger concern - is getting worse.

Comment

I think the issue is that the time to take that step forward is sometime within the next couple of seasons. I think the idea not being that they have to be contenders before Gay leaves, but that they need to be better than a team that desperately scrapes into the playoffs.

Casey is certainly not a bad coach. And I do think that in general he's good at developing young players and demanding results. I do question his handling of Ross much more than JV. I understand Ross makes a lot of mistakes, but he should still get at least 10-15 minutes minium (first sub in for Demar at each half, and longer or extra stints for good performance). JV I think has earned the right to at least a short 4th Q stint most games (as long as he's not obviously struggling, or in bad foul trouble), and I think that's something we'll start seeing more of from now on.

Beyond that I think his in-game management needs to get a loooot better. He could be worse, for sure, but his rotations are maddening. His roster decisions seem more desperate reactions to the other team than they seem like deliberate attempts to exploit matchups. He calls timeouts hestitantly at times when he should be more decisive/quick about it, and stubbornly decides to sometimes call one instead of letting the team play (I'm pretty sure I remember a few times this season where Jose or Kyle were visibly surprised by a timeout call as they saw they could get something from the D). I think his out-of-bounds plays are actually not bad at all, and that there, execution is all on the players...But what is much worse is that this team seems to bomb a lot of coming-out-of-the-timeout plays. This is also largely on the players, but I don't know that they've gotten better at it, and that is on coaching to make them improve in that area which is crucial for not just closing out games, but KEEPING LEADS at crucial earlier stretches so you don't get stuck in so many close games*....These are things that Casey can get better at, but I think he'll have to show that improvement from the start of next season to be considered an option going into future seasons.

*How many times has the team called a timeout to settle things down only to turn it into a turnover or botched possession?? Again, a lot is on the players, but a lot is on the coach to make sure that is something that gets better through the season. This team has not only lost a lot of close games, but has had the opportunity to be in far fewer close games down the stretch if they had found ways to stop the bleeding.
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Feb 28, 2013, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Too early to lay the blame on Coach Casey. Coaching is really hard, but when you have lack of consistency with your roster it is even harder. Since Casey took the reigns, we've had a lock-out that wiped out training camp, pre-season and a normal practice schedule in year one. Year two has had injuries, three rookies on the roster and a major trade changing the roster.

The team is still a very incomplete roster (no low post scoring, lack of perimeter shooting, lack of play-maker in back court). So while it is fair to question his decisions about rotations and playing time, I think it's way too early to start calling for his head.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X