Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 79

Thread: Casey is getting on my last nerve

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,090
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I'm not saying he can't make mistakes, but the mistakes everyone is quoting are the same ones...JV doesn't play in the 4th quarter, why is Bargs playing, why is Anderson playing, why doesn't Ross get any minutes, whats up with these rotations..if it was a random issue it's more likely that maybe it's a mistake. When it's the same issue it's being done on purpose and that's what I'm referring to. I trust that there are reasons why he does those things which we as fans and not exactly the greatest of basketball minds when it comes to b'ball tactics may not comprehend.
    All you points are legit. I'm not doubting Casey knows more than me - or anyone else here. But I think the issue is, in relation to other NBA quality coaches, he is not a good choice to move on with this team. The Raps have lost 13 games (?) where they had a lead in the 4th quarter. That is huge. To me it speaks to an inability to adapt or match the opposition. I don't know... I am really frustrated and disappointed with the last 2 games. Like many others have said, it is definitely my own fault for having faith in them.... how sad to be a Raptor fan.

    It should be noted the core players aren't all <25 and working on rookie contracts - actually Lowry and Gay. Results are needed - and quick - or all this 'building' is for not and the Raps end up right back where they were less than 2 seasons ago with a young, inexperienced roster seeking more talent via the draft.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Paradigm Shift wrote: View Post
    I'm not talking about Andrea....he is in a total fog out there. I'm this close to suggesting a diagnosis of clinical depression. I'm actually beginning to feel bad for him.

    But what about the other guys who are "part of the future", motivated by the possibilities (supposedly) why are they seemingly ignoring Casey (according to Matt) repeatedly?
    I got your point and heard the same, that Casey is screaming protect the middle, and cavs came down the middle as 1st option.


    A coach can only suggest, the talent needs to actually do.

    (still take Andreas minutes and give them Ed Davis, we squeak out a win)
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Feb 28th, 2013 at 01:44 PM.

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Rookie Paradigm Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    I got your point and heard the same, that Casey is screaming protect the middle, and cavs came down the middle as 1st option.


    A coach can only suggest, the talent needs to actually do.
    Maybe we're simply confused about semantics. I scream at the TV "watch the cutter underneath!" but it's too late by then. Maybe protect the middle during a half court set is too late or too complicated, maybe not...

    I could be wrong but off a rebound with no one in the backcourt (from the other team) with you, there is nothing stopping you from running when the coach yells run. There's no lost reaction. It's not about what others do (If you leave the middle and they go there it's done). If the coach says push...push...or your simply ignoring him! I think it's a distinct case and I don't understand it ....but if I'm the only one, hey, np, it's just my problem :->

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I kinda saw where Casey was going with playing Bargnani down the stretch. He was clearing the middle by letting Bargnani be his 3PT line camping self, dragging the opposing big to the perimeter and opening the lane for the wings to attack. Unfortunately, the wings decided they'd give the Cavs a break and shoot long twos and 3s instead of trying to make higher percentage shots. Plus the fact that both Gay and DeRozan played over 40 minutes and looked completely exhausted, same with Amir. So taking perimeter shots, although unsure, was much more appealing to them rather than exerting more effort going to the basket when they were already gassed out. And the fact the Lowry was 1-6 from deep didnt help either. His man kept sagging to the middle coz he knows Lowry aint getting anytthing in the hoop.

    Solutions, IMO: Big needed. When shots arent falling for the guards and wings, you need a momentum stopper, a guy who plays back to the basket and slows the game down. On defense, same guy can use his body to block cutters, another thing that killed them last night.

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm inclined to give DC benefit of the doubt. I'm sure there's a lot more going behind the scenes than we know it. I mean, NBA coaches are not stupid, and they no doubt have access to the +/- stats. If it's as easy as 'play Ross more minutes' and 'play JV in the 4th', than anyone could coach. He knows each player's deficiencies, strengths and psyche better than us spectators, and for him to not play JV or Ross, he has reasons.

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,236
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    All you points are legit. I'm not doubting Casey knows more than me - or anyone else here. But I think the issue is, in relation to other NBA quality coaches, he is not a good choice to move on with this team. The Raps have lost 13 games (?) where they had a lead in the 4th quarter. That is huge. To me it speaks to an inability to adapt or match the opposition. I don't know... I am really frustrated and disappointed with the last 2 games. Like many others have said, it is definitely my own fault for having faith in them.... how sad to be a Raptor fan.

    It should be noted the core players aren't all <25 and working on rookie contracts - actually Lowry and Gay. Results are needed - and quick - or all this 'building' is for not and the Raps end up right back where they were less than 2 seasons ago with a young, inexperienced roster seeking more talent via the draft.
    I agree that Casey isn't the coach you want once you become a legit playoff threat. We will probably need to get another coach to take us to that next level, but for now with a team trying to integrate two rookies into cruicial parts of the rotation, and trying to instill the basic building blocks of a winning program I think Casey is just fine.

    I reserve my grudge for Colangelo. He's consistently managed to do just enough to get my hyped up for each new season, but never enough to make it a reality. Just like trading for Rudy Gay...I'm excited for what we can be next season though I fully realize that to truly take advantage of the Rudy Gay acquisition, one more big trade is cruicial. We need a starting calibre PF that can score in the low post, play some tough D and rebound. I'll keep hoping and hoping that it will happen, but to date, BC has not been able to get the job done.

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Pong wrote: View Post
    I'm inclined to give DC benefit of the doubt. I'm sure there's a lot more going behind the scenes than we know it. I mean, NBA coaches are not stupid, and they no doubt have access to the +/- stats. If it's as easy as 'play Ross more minutes' and 'play JV in the 4th', than anyone could coach. He knows each player's deficiencies, strengths and psyche better than us spectators, and for him to not play JV or Ross, he has reasons.
    Can you think of a plausible reason that explains why Bargnani was playing in the 4th instead of Jonas?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Can you think of a plausible reason that explains why Bargnani was playing in the 4th instead of Jonas?
    Apparently spreading the floor is the most valuable commodity in the NBA. Like seriously, Doc Rivers gave Sullinger minutes when he deserved it, Casey should do the same with Jonas

  9. #49
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Can you think of a plausible reason that explains why Bargnani was playing in the 4th instead of Jonas?


    Yes its been mentioned.

    Many of the people around the club felt that Andrea needs to be gift wrapped a situation to get him out of the funk. Bryan feels this way, Jack feels this way. He has been on Casey's balls every telecast to get Andrea started.



    The "leave Bargnani alone crowd" fucked us out of the PO run as far as I am concerned, it became lets feel sorry for Andrea time, lets spoon feed him precious moments.


    That is what we did last game, hope that Andrea would become motivated if he was given time that mattered. He did not give a single shit.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Feb 28th, 2013 at 02:50 PM.

  10. #50
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I agree that Casey isn't the coach you want once you become a legit playoff threat. We will probably need to get another coach to take us to that next level, but for now with a team trying to integrate two rookies into cruicial parts of the rotation, and trying to instill the basic building blocks of a winning program I think Casey is just fine.

    I reserve my grudge for Colangelo. He's consistently managed to do just enough to get my hyped up for each new season, but never enough to make it a reality. Just like trading for Rudy Gay...I'm excited for what we can be next season though I fully realize that to truly take advantage of the Rudy Gay acquisition, one more big trade is cruicial. We need a starting calibre PF that can score in the low post, play some tough D and rebound. I'll keep hoping and hoping that it will happen, but to date, BC has not been able to get the job done.
    We still have the offseason. I think as a Raptor fan, you should be used to looking forward by now, hehehe.

  11. #51
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    Apparently spreading the floor is the most valuable commodity in the NBA. Like seriously, Doc Rivers gave Sullinger minutes when he deserved it, Casey should do the same with Jonas
    Ugh...it irks me to no end to keep hearing this "spreading the floor" reasoning, even if it was written in jest
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  12. #52
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    Yes its been mentioned.

    Many of the people around the club felt that Andrea needs to be gift wrapped a situation to get him out of the funk. Bryan feels this way, Jack feels this way. He has been on Casey's balls every telecast to get Andrea started.



    The "leave Bargnani alone crowd" fucked us out of the PO run as far as I am concerned, it became lets feel sorry for Andrea time, lets spoon feed him precious moments.


    That is what we did last game, hope that Andrea would become motivated if he was given time that mattered. He did not give a single shit.
    Haven't you learned? It's always someone else's fault when it comes to Bargnani's multitude of problems.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  13. #53
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would love to see how DC coaches with a different GM.


    There is still a part of me that feels, there is an old school guard that pushes Andrea on him, and many of the old unsuccessful ideologies. I think a GM more in tune with Casey could benefit his coaching style.

    I never saw Andrea as being a Casey type of player, its a mismatch. Casey has been here a while at this point, you need to point at management for overvaluing a player instead of focusing on what this team needs.

  14. #54
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Can you think of a plausible reason that explains why Bargnani was playing in the 4th instead of Jonas?
    Hell if i know, I'm not the coach lol. Could be anything:

    - JV has less exp. and could make dumb mistakes during crunch time (on d or on the o)
    - Bargs can get his own shot (whether he can make it is another story) while JV would require lowry to make the right pass in the pick and roll (if calderon was still around, perhaps JV could get more burn)
    - Bargs stretches the D
    - JV gets butterflies in his stomach in 4th quarters
    - The team doesn't understand what JV says during the 4th when crowds are much louder

    The bottom line is we were trying to get into the playoffs and it's technically more sound to go with a guy who's been a decent offensive threat 5+ years than a rookie who's only shown flashes of his potential. I like JV over bargs as much as you guys since he's on my fantasy team, but if it's as simple as we think it is, than DC should have never been an NBA coach. But i could be wrong lol. I'm sure now that we're out of the playoffs, our rooks will get more burn.
    Last edited by Pong; Thu Feb 28th, 2013 at 03:56 PM.

  15. #55
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    lol, I would of played JV, Gray, Acy even.... we need players that give a damn. (I wasn't happy with Casey giving that time to Andrea, but I understood that Andrea sympathizers everywhere were hoping that he would make the game winning shot, problem was everyone was thinking that except Andrea)

  16. #56
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    3,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Remember the game before the Washington game? that was the game where AB got booed pretty loudly and after the game Lowry tweeted booing one of our players isn't cool and it should not be done.

    Since that game I feel like the Raps made too much of a conscious effort to get AB going. Results? 2 straight losses to Washington and Cleveland.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  17. #57
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Remember the game before the Washington game? that was the game where AB got booed pretty loudly and after the game Lowry tweeted booing one of our players isn't cool and it should not be done.

    Since that game I feel like the Raps made too much of a conscious effort to get AB going. Results? 2 straight losses to Washington and Cleveland.
    That is exactly what I am talking about. (those that felt sorry for the loser, became losers)

  18. #58
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    3,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    That is exactly what I am talking about. (those that felt sorry for the loser, became losers)
    It's not on AB though. It's on the coach. I mean, AB has struggled MIGHTILY this season specially since his return from his injury. I think the guy completely forgot how to shoot a basketball. Defensively he's still the same old AB. So my question for the coach, why continously give him 20mins a game? why continously put him in crunch time??

    Like i said, Dwane Casey i think is too nice of a guy. And i think that's going to be his downfall.

    BRING IN STAN VAN GUNDY OR JEFF VAN GUNDY!!
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  19. #59
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    That is exactly what I am talking about. (those that felt sorry for the loser, became losers)
    I literally laughed out loud when I read this.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  20. #60
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,814
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Would love the raps to make a run at Nate Mcmillan
    @jerboat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •