Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there any possibility that we lure big free agent this summer?

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is there any possibility that we lure big free agent this summer?

With Gay aboard, are we having enough money to offer a huge contract to a guy like Al Jefferson? Because if the case is that if we sign one we won't be able to bring back Lowry, well, I'd rather have a star PF lockdown for years to come than having Lowry. But the best would surely be having both. The point of my thread is to know if we have enough cap space too sign a player to a big contract. Thanks. Also I guess we would use our amnesty on Bargs or trade him/same for Kleiza.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Comte Comte, Comte Comte (From Van Dame's Blood Sports), let's just sign Bolo Yeung and degenerate him, he's short but his strong enough to play SF or PF and shift Gay to PF.

Post Thanks / Like

We won't have cap space, and to clear it up:

You can only sign players that are of your own roster if over the cap. i.e Kyle Lowry NEXT off-season. We can re-sign him regardless of our cap space. It's whether or not he wants to stay. Re-signing Lowry puts us further over the cap. Although, every team has an MLE (Mid-level exception), which is a than $5 million to sign players. Only way to get better without having to really jeopardize going much deeper into cap/going into punitive luxury tax is via trade.

Once a year, teams can use a mid-level exception (MLE) to sign a player to a contract for a specified maximum amount. The amount of the MLE and its duration depend on the team's cap status. The MLE is $5 million for a duration of four years for teams that are over the cap either before or after the signing, but did not pay a luxury tax in the previous season. Teams without cap room that paid tax in the previous season have an MLE of $3 million with a three-year duration. Teams with cap room, previously ineligible for the MLE, have a new MLE of $2.5 million with a two-year duration. The MLE is frozen at the stated levels through the 2012–13 season, after which it increases by 3% per season
    (Correct me if mistaken on the above)

I'd rather re-sign Lowry, rather than have Al Jefferson and no one get the ball because John Lucas will be running the team. Quite frankly, using Bargnani (if we don't make playoffs, the 1st round pick), possibly 1 of Derozan/Ross/Fields/Anderson as trade-able assets to acquire that post presence. Toronto needs another perimeter shooter, and toughness/experience.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think, the only way we could do it would be a sign and trade, but I don't see that happening...
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What about the amnesty?
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tenforthewin wrote: View Post
    Comte Comte, Comte Comte (From Van Dame's Blood Sports), let's just sign Bolo Yeung and degenerate him, he's short but his strong enough to play SF or PF and shift Gay to PF.
    lol, isn't it "Kumite"?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rudy and Kyle are a package deal and no doubt Lowry will resign.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    What about the amnesty?
    Raps would still be over the salary cap.

Only thing amnesty is going to do is lower the ceiling to the luxury tax and apron.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Rudy and Kyle are a package deal and no doubt Lowry will resign.
    We've been down the friendship road before.

It does not guarantee anything.

Money and a chance to win - in that order - matter.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Raps would still be over the salary cap.

Only thing amnesty is going to do is lower the ceiling to the luxury tax and apron.
    Why do you have to be negative? I can't take this anymore..

your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    lol, isn't it "Kumite"?
    +1, lol I was like da fuk

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there are a few ways Raps. can make a couple of acquisitions including a FA PF. I'd love to see them acquire Paul Millsap and I hope they do. If it's Millsap a sign a trade can be worked out. If Bargnani and his presently expensive contract go to Utah they'd ask for may'be Ross or Jonas in addition to Andrea or maybe a future 1st rounder if OKC uses our pick.

However I won't be surprised if they choose not to address the PF position because the need is not dire. What they will address for sure is the back up PG situation and I don't see that being much of a problem 'cause the MLE can be used. I also expect them to sign Lowry to an extension. I think he see's reason to resign. About 8-9 mil. a season sounds reasonable.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

no

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    I think there are a few ways Raps. can make a couple of acquisitions including a FA PF. I'd love to see them acquire Paul Millsap and I hope they do. If it's Millsap a sign a trade can be worked out. If Bargnani and his presently expensive contract go to Utah they'd ask for may'be Ross or Jonas in addition to Andrea or maybe a future 1st rounder if OKC uses our pick.

However I won't be surprised if they choose not to address the PF position because the need is not dire. What they will address for sure is the back up PG situation and I don't see that being much of a problem 'cause the MLE can be used. I also expect them to sign Lowry to an extension. I think he see's reason to resign. About 8-9 mil. a season sounds reasonable.
    Sign and trade at this point is the only way like you mentioned in the above, but why would the Jazz have any need for Bargnani? At this point, only way Toronto wants to get into a S-&-T is including one of Fields/Ross/Derozan/Anderson along with Bargnani + (if Raptors don't make playoffs) a 1st round pick.

Toronto is in a tough spot in terms of trying to get better outside of their roster. If Bargnani, one of Fields/Ross/Derozan/Anderson (preferably keeping Derozan), and a pick doesn't cut it, you're basically relying on Valanciunas, Ross, and Acy to improve significantly in little time to be impact players. Valanciunas will definitely be that type of guy, Acy seems to have potential for being a solid role player in the NBA for a long time, and the jury is still out on Ross.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Al Jeff, Paul Millsap, Josh Smith (most unlikely), or a young underachieved, underappreciated PF (Henson, Tristan Thompsons, JJ Hicksons)

Post Thanks / Like

Al Jeff, Paul Millsap, Josh Smith (most unlikely), or a young underachieved, underappreciated PF (Henson, Tristan Thompsons, JJ Hicksons)
    JJ Hickson is actually a solid player. I wouldn't mind having him here. Solid post game, rebounder, shot blocker, toughness. Gives everything Casey and BC need.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He's in his contract year so idk. He could go back to playing average while we pay him landry fields money. Then everyone will rip BC for signing him
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Post Thanks / Like

Only two problems with any of those names:

1) the Collective Bargaining Agreement,

and/or

2) reality.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Rookie DeRozanJohnsonFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this is a long shot and wishful thinking but Allen Iverson would be a chance they could attempt, despite his track record he produces and he is a veteran and has the playoff experience, the Raptors need someone who's been around and Allen may be it, however this is wishful thinking.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Only two problems with any of those names:

1) the Collective Bargaining Agreement,

and/or

2) reality.
    The first one is hard for anyone to understand...

The second one is hard for Raptors fans to understand...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information