Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With The Current Club, What Are We Missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Raps only would have had about $7M in cap space via a trade with DD's qualifying offer while his cap hold would have given teh Raps about $1.5M in free agency (excluding exceptions).
    Fully wrote: View Post
    Thanks Matt.
    Actually, then factor in amnesty.

Bargs will never be amnestied so $4.6M for Kleiza.

$11.5M in trade.

$6M UFA.

Then factor in the cap going up by "X" million and add it.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      I'm 99.9999999999999999999999% sure he will pick up that option.. but he could decide to opt out and get a long term contract in Europe.
      I don't see Kleiza's contract being much of a problem. Even if he picks up his option year, it shouldn't be too difficult to turn him into a back-up PG for example via trade. The problem I see is Bargnani. Not that he can't be traded but the return may be worse.
      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• I think that before the team thinks about their players they need to set their basketball straight. Honestly we are giving our lead away every time towards the end. We manage a size able lead which is good, but we waste it and lose it. A good example was the warriors match.

Comment

• brickwall281 wrote: View Post
          I think that before the team thinks about their players they need to set their basketball straight. Honestly we are giving our lead away every time towards the end. We manage a size able lead which is good, but we waste it and lose it. A good example was the warriors match.
          This has been a problem for so long that it has now become a Raptor trademark. IMO it's a Coaching issue.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• We need a CENTER. A defensive, rebounding, shot blocker.
            After being at the Raps vs Warriors game, I REALLY feel that BC is forcing BARGS in the starting lineup & making sure he's getting minutes. Too early to have this discussion.
            Check out my post at the end of the Rap vs Warriors thread

Comment

• The current team is good enough to make some noise have a solid record and make the playoffs, just need to patch the PF spot and back up PG spot and we should be good, Pietrus waived, Klieza Amnestied.

Assets to trade

Bargnani
              Anderson
              Fields*
              Lucas
              Acy

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                The current team is good enough to make some noise have a solid record and make the playoffs, just need to patch the PF spot and back up PG spot and we should be good, Pietrus waived, Klieza Amnestied.

Assets to trade

Bargnani
                Anderson
                Fields*
                Lucas
                Acy
                We also need a coach who doesn't take three-quarters of a season to determine what his rotation is....

Comment

• Casey is fine..... I dont care who you are in the NBA you cant win with useless subs which they have been as of late. +the Bargnani factor too.

Comment

The current team is good enough to make some noise have a solid record and make the playoffs, just need to patch the PF spot and back up PG spot and we should be good, Pietrus waived, Klieza Amnestied.

Assets to trade

Bargnani
                    Anderson
                    Fields*
                    Lucas
                    Acy
                    Why do I keep seeing "Anderson is a trade asset" things? He is an unrestricted FA of little value. If the team wanted to match any offer he got, other teams won't care. They'll just move on to another depth wing, of which there are too many to count, if he refuses to sign without a sign-and-trade to help the Raps. THey're not going to get into a bidding war or give up other assets for him.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Why do I keep seeing "Anderson is a trade asset" things? He is an unrestricted FA of little value. If the team wanted to match any offer he got, other teams won't care. They'll just move on to another depth wing, of which there are too many to count, if he refuses to sign without a sign-and-trade to help the Raps. THey're not going to get into a bidding war or give up other assets for him.
                      For that matter, Lucas isn't trade bait either. If the Raps don't want him back, they don't have to pickup their team option on him. They also can't trade him without picking up the option. Is Acy really trade bait, or does he just happen to be under contract?

Realistically, I see the Raptors trade assets shaping up like this:
                      - Bargnani
                      - Fields
                      - DeRozan

I don't think Fields is overly desired, due to his bloated poison-pill contract. Bargnani will likely return a contract that is equally bad or worse. DeRozan is the only asset that I think has any legitimate trade value, especially for a top-tier quality player.

The Raps should be looking to build around a core of:
                      C - Valanciunas
                      PF - Johnson (ideally a backup PF / 3rd big)
                      SF - Gay
                      SG - Fields (highly untradeable but good Anthony Parker type glue-guy)
                      SG - Ross (backup next season)
                      PG - Lowry

DeRozan is a good young player, but he's overpaid and the team can't afford to have 2 inefficient volume scorers (Gay is the one to keep) on the roster, especially in the starting lineup. He's also the team's best best to acquire a legit starting PF with a traditional low-post presence, which is the most glaring hole on this roster right now.
                      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Mar 6, 2013, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Assets to trade

Bargnani
                        Anderson
                        Fields*
                        Lucas
                        Acy
                        That's an extremely optimistic outlook for a 23-38 team.

I don't see any of those players as bringing back anything of value other than maybe Bargs.

People are way too bullish on this roster.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          For that matter, Lucas isn't trade bait either. If the Raps don't want him back, they don't have to pickup their team option on him. They also can't trade him without picking up the option. Is Acy really trade bait, or does he just happen to be under contract?

Realistically, I see the Raptors trade assets shaping up like this:
                          - Bargnani
                          - Fields
                          - DeRozan

I don't think Fields is overly desired, due to his bloated poison-pill contract. Bargnani will likely return a contract that is equally bad or worse. DeRozan is the only asset that I think has any legitimate trade value, especially for a top-tier quality player.
                          Yeah, basically....
                          Bargnani = expendable and has to go
                          Fields = unfortunate contract, may not have trade value until teams see some kind of turnaround in his jumper or until his expiring year
                          Demar, and Ross = Both somewhat untouchable in different ways. Trading either one would have to at worst, be a lateral talent move that hopefully results in better fit... I wouldn't do a Millsap for Demar trade, but I understand the merit in the argument for it. Similar for Ross. I understand people wanting to be rid of Bargs, even if they need to attach Ross to Bargs to get a deal done...but even in that scenario, it can't be just to help the team unload Bargs, and should only be considered if it lands them a legit starter in his prime, at the very least, again, like a Millsap. Just like with Demar, I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of Ross even in such a package, but it's the minimum kind of sense any deal would have to make. Frankly, as much as I like Millsap, I would have a hard time as a fan seeing either guy go for anything less than a legit all-star, or a young high potential prospect at another position, like PF or PG. Draft day trade for Anthony Bennett ? mid season trade for Eric Bledsoe?? half kidding on these...but these are the kinds of young players I would want for Terrence Ross. Maybe I'm being irrationally greedy, but given the new CBA outlook, I'd be hesitant to part iwth a high-potential player on a rookie-scale deal without getting something similar back, or a proven talent that I'd like to be all-star/playoff proven.
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Mar 6, 2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            That's an extremely optimistic outlook for a 23-38 team.

I don't see any of those players as bringing back anything of value other than maybe Bargs.

People are way too bullish on this roster.
                            If we started the season with the current team and didnt have Bargs yes I do think we would be talking playoffs.. It isnt a stretch at all.

Comment

If we started the season with the current team and didnt have Bargs yes I do think we would be talking playoffs.. It isnt a stretch at all.
                              Don't forget injuries so early into the season.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                                Don't forget injuries so early into the season.
                                I disagree with this. The injuries seemed to be a blessing in disguise. This team was spiralling out of control before Lowry and Bargnani went down. It wasn't until Davis/Amir got pumped up minutes and Calderon took over the offense that the team started to improve.

Comment

Working...
                                X