Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With The Current Club, What Are We Missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
    We can probably sign Morrow for the mini MLE
    And use the MLE on a big.

But Im not sure how we get Jefferson in town..
    Teams don't get the MLE and the mini-MLE. You get one or the other based on the status of your payroll.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
      Good luck with getting any of that with the diarrhea milkshake of a financial situation we have
      A whole bunch of this.

This is the downside of the Rudy Gay trade that most posters chose to either ignore or didn't understand. The Raptors have virtually 0 financial flexibility over the next two seasons to improve their roster, no first round pick this season and not much for trade assets unless they make Ross or JV available. Any talk of going after Millsap/Jefferson/anyone significant this offseason died the day they acquired Rudy.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
        A whole bunch of this.

This is the downside of the Rudy Gay trade that most posters chose to either ignore or didn't understand. The Raptors have virtually 0 financial flexibility over the next two seasons to improve their roster, no first round pick this season and not much for trade assets unless they make Ross or JV available. Any talk of going after Millsap/Jefferson/anyone significant this offseason died the day they acquired Rudy.
        I was in favour of the Gay trade only on the assumption that more moves would follow (like the acquisition of Boozer). I honestly believed that a core of Lowry, Gay and Boozer would've been good enough to squeak into the playoffs...if not this year, next year and the one after.

Raptor fans would then get to watch a few years of competitive basketball, and in the summer of 2015, we would have $44.6 million coming off the books (Gay, Boozer and Fields).

Acquiring Gay and doing nothing at the deadline was definitely a head-scratcher.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I was in favour of the Gay trade only on the assumption that more moves would follow (like the acquisition of Boozer). I honestly believed that a core of Lowry, Gay and Boozer would've been good enough to squeak into the playoffs...if not this year, next year and the one after.

Raptor fans would then get to watch a few years of competitive basketball, and in the summer of 2015, we would have $44.6 million coming off the books (Gay, Boozer and Fields).

Acquiring Gay and doing nothing at the deadline was definitely a head-scratcher.
          I was strongly against the acquisition of Gay for the reasons I stated above. I looked ahead to this offseason and the next and failed to see how the team would get over that next hump. I basically thought the Raptors were willingly signing up for the 7-9 spot in the East for the next two seasons, which has been described as the worst spot to be in pro basketball time and time again.

Once the Gay deal went through however I thought the Raptors acquiring Boozer should have been a no-brainer. I too thought that Boozer's contract lined up well with some of the team's other big deals, and acquiring him would have given the Raptors a two year window to try and win a playoff series or two, followed by the summer of 2015 where they would have a TON of cap space (and hopefully a repaired reputation around the NBA).

Can we begin to explore the possibility that the Bulls reported willingness to do a Boozer-for-Bargnani trade may have been exaggerated?

Comment

• let's go blue jays!

Comment

• Thing is, I'm not sure it's about 'filling the holes' as much as it is, 'does this group of players make sense at all?'

The Raps have two guys on the wing who are basically the same player (with one guy being the poor man's version). They have a PG, who despite having some good games, has had zero impact on winning and losing. They have no bench. They have big man 3-4 years away from starting his prime. And they still do not have a top of the food chain player.

Yeah, I mean I guess you could slap some bandaids on and try to plow ahead but where does that even get this team?

This is exactly what I was afraid of after the Gay trade. Another one of BC's half-assed plans where he simply won't commit either way to winning or rebuilding. Personally, now that the die has been cast with the Gay deal, I want to see them go for it. Put Val and Ross and the 2014 first on sale and see what they get you.

Comment

I was strongly against the acquisition of Gay for the reasons I stated above. I looked ahead to this offseason and the next and failed to see how the team would get over that next hump. I basically thought the Raptors were willingly signing up for the 7-9 spot in the East for the next two seasons, which has been described as the worst spot to be in pro basketball time and time again.

Once the Gay deal went through however I thought the Raptors acquiring Boozer should have been a no-brainer. I too thought that Boozer's contract lined up well with some of the team's other big deals, and acquiring him would have given the Raptors a two year window to try and win a playoff series or two, followed by the summer of 2015 where they would have a TON of cap space (and hopefully a repaired reputation around the NBA).

Can we begin to explore the possibility that the Bulls reported willingness to do a Boozer-for-Bargnani trade may have been exaggerated?
                I don't think it was.

All those media reports came from Chicago and their sources.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  I don't think it was.

All those media reports came from Chicago and their sources.
                  MLSE unwilling to go into luxury tax themselves? Colangelo still refusing to part with Bargnani?

Comment

MLSE unwilling to go into luxury tax themselves? Colangelo still refusing to part with Bargnani?
                    No the offer of Boozer/Nate for Bargnani/JL3 from Chicago media. I don't recall any reports of luxury tax avoidance by MLSE or Colangelo refusing to part with Bargnani. Although 7 years would certainly beg to differ.

I could see JL3 wanting to be kept instead of Nate by Raptors. It was also rumoured Chicago wanted JL3 as he was a fav of Thibideau and locker room last season.

I could also see the Raptors wanting a 1st - and Chicago unwilling to include.

Also in off season, straight Bargnani/Boozer trade possible assuming cap/tax go up a few million and Kleiza amnestied. Straight trade was not possible at this time.

Is it late June/early July yet?

Comment

• I don't have a very good understanding of the CBA, but wouldn't it make more sense to offer either Milsap or Jefferson a big contract over Boozer? I mean if I was going to give a max contract out I would rather give it to Milsap or Jefferson and most likely neither of them would be asking for the kind of $$ left on Boozers contract.

Comment

No the offer of Boozer/Nate for Bargnani/JL3 from Chicago media. I don't recall any reports of luxury tax avoidance by MLSE or Colangelo refusing to part with Bargnani. Although 7 years would certainly beg to differ.

I could see JL3 wanting to be kept instead of Nate by Raptors. It was also rumoured Chicago wanted JL3 as he was a fav of Thibideau and locker room last season.

I could also see the Raptors wanting a 1st - and Chicago unwilling to include.

Also in off season, straight Bargnani/Boozer trade possible assuming cap/tax go up a few million and Kleiza amnestied. Straight trade was not possible at this time.

Is it late June/early July yet?
                        Sorry, I worded that improperly. I was asking why you thought it didn't go down then, which you pretty much answered with the second half of your reply.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                          I don't have a very good understanding of the CBA, but wouldn't it make more sense to offer either Milsap or Jefferson a big contract over Boozer? I mean if I was going to give a max contract out I would rather give it to Milsap or Jefferson and most likely neither of them would be asking for the kind of $$ left on Boozers contract.
                          You can only offer unrestricted free agents big contract offers based upon how much money you have under the salary cap.

The Raptors have $73M on the books for next year. To realistically have a shot at any of those players they'd likely have to have just $46M on the books for next year. In short, it isn't happening.

SIgn and trade would work but you are giving up assets (and Bargnani is not going to cut it).

Comment

You can only offer unrestricted free agents big contract offers based upon how much money you have under the salary cap.

The Raptors have $73M on the books for next year. To realistically have a shot at any of those players they'd likely have to have just $46M on the books for next year. In short, it isn't happening.

SIgn and trade would work but you are giving up assets (and Bargnani is not going to cut it).
                            Would amnestying Bargs and waiveing Kleiza do the job? Keeping in mind the offer to either Jefferson or Milsap would be less than a max contract.

Comment

• From what I understand, waiving Kleiza doesn't remove his cap implications. Only the amnesty provision can do that.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                                Would amnestying Bargs and waiveing Kleiza do the job? Keeping in mind the offer to either Jefferson or Milsap would be less than a max contract.
                                Even if waiving Kleiza removed his cap implications (which it doesn't) they still wouldn't be even close to making a competitive offer. Bargs is on the books for about 10 mil and Kleiza for about 5. If we somehow got both of them off the books, that would put us at 58 million. As Matt mentioned, we need to be around the mid 40's to make a realistic offer (and even then that doesn't guarantee anything).

In other words -- nothing big is coming from free agency.

Manage your expectations accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                                X