Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With The Current Club, What Are We Missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PF is a glaring hole.

Amir shows flashes of brilliance but he is way too inconsistent to be relied on as a starter.

A low post threat and another glass cleaner.

Putting Amir off the bench also helps with the concern from other posts about bench productivity.

Comment

Amir off the bench is great nice spark if hustle and energy not to mention pretty good defender.

Solid point guard
      Ross
      Veteran*Fields
      Fields*veteran PF
      Amir

I don't think we need another true C I'd rather another PF like say Elton Brand and Amir down low off the bench or a Dalembert

Comment

Starting PF, with Amir as the 3rd big getting decent minutes

Perimeter shooting. For as long as Casey is the coach, the team is going to need more shooters. He wants 3's and they will take them no matter how good they are

An offensive coordinator. Casey needs serious help with running the offense

Comment

Assuming we can move Bargnani or even DeMar, I'd like to go after one of those Utah bigs which are both free agents this summer. (aka Jefferson or Millsap) Both guys are exactly what we need. A consistent inside presense. Something we haven't had since ..... ummmm ...... ever.

Comment

I still think that low-post threat is being given way too much attention. JV is going to be scoring on the inside more and more as he improves. Amir also does most of his damage rolling to the basket and with little drop shots and hooks. I think if any PF is going to be a long-term acquisition...say a 3-4 year deal, then it's way more important that such a PF actually can hit jumpers consistently, as a pick-n-pop threat. I would be fine with Millsap, who's an all-around threat to score, or Ilyasova as kind of the stretch 4 version of Amir....My fallback player to go after with the MLE is Carl Landry.

I think signing a guy like Jefferson will just lead to having to trade him within a couple of years as he's too slow to play a lot of PF (mostly plays C for Utah), not long or very good defensively, and will make it harder to find JV post touches as he grows. I am somewhat ok with Gasol because it would only be a one year rental. I am also somewhat ok with Boozer as at least there is no positional overlap with JV, so at least he won't take his minutes even if he takes some touches.

The other thing we are missing is Landry Fields' jump shot....every time I see AA out there monopolizing the offense like he's Michael Jordan, I can't help but think how badly we need an actual glue guy out on the floor. I'd also hope that any new backup PG is a better glue guy than Lucas. I think with Casey this year he's shown that he really overvalues shooting...that's why guys like Andrea, AA and Lucas see so much time. He seems more worried that other guys will miss looks those guys make (as if those guys don't go ice cold for long stretches), rather than realizing how a guy like Fields will look for higher % plays, be it for him or another player. *not suggesting Fields should necessarily be getting big minutes, but rather if his jumper wasn't so broken, I can't imagine why AA would ever see the floor over him
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Mar 2, 2013, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              PF is a glaring hole.

Amir shows flashes of brilliance but he is way too inconsistent to be relied on as a starter.

A low post threat and another glass cleaner.

Putting Amir off the bench also helps with the concern from other posts about bench productivity.
              Sums it up right there. Although, I certainly think a bench scorer would go a long way.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                Assuming we can move Bargnani or even DeMar, I'd like to go after one of those Utah bigs which are both free agents this summer. (aka Jefferson or Millsap) Both guys are exactly what we need. A consistent inside presense. Something we haven't had since ..... ummmm ...... ever.
                +1.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

A low post threat is the most pressing concern offensively. JV may get there but it will be a year or three before he's good enough to get there consistently. I don't think the offense is our problem though, we are actually ranked reasonably high in offensive efficiency.

I think our biggest weakness are that:

a. We suck at rebounding, which is arguably the biggest sign of a winning team. We are currently bottom ten in every rebounding % metric and 29th in rbs per game. Our best rebounder, Amir, is 47th in rbs per game and we have no one in the top 50 for rebounds per 36.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2013.html

b. We are an awful defensive team. I don't know what happened to last years defensive tenacity but this year we've been terrible. This is mainly a coaching issue, our hedges are not as hard as they used to be and we aren't recovering fast enough. Giving up offensive rebounds and turnovers kills us. The fact we are always undersized doesn't help either.

Basically we need to upgrade at both big spots and get our focus back defensively. Amir is very much improved this season and if we were very strong at center would be a very good hustle guy in with our starters. Maybe Val will get there and be the elite rebounder and post player that we need (think Noah or this years Varejao), but until he does we are going to have a lot of trouble with defense and rebounding.
                  "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I think the 2 things we need the most is a starting PF who can ALSO play C. That way we wouldn't need to sign another center who needs minutes.

I know I should not say this but I think we should try to bring back Calderon.

Comment

Since Oakley?

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                        I think the 2 things we need the most is a starting PF who can ALSO play C. That way we wouldn't need to sign another center who needs minutes.

I know I should not say this but I think we should try to bring back Calderon.

you are right you shouldn't have said it why start another controversy? There are plenty of solid PGs we can target this off season, who is third string though? Lucas can be moved he has value.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                          Since Oakley?
                          Perhaps. I found Reggie Evans just as efficient as Oak was during his tenure here in Toronto. I want a scoring low-post threat ontop of a solid defender and consistent rebounder.

That isn't too much to ask, is it?

Comment

Perhaps. I found Reggie Evans just as efficient as Oak was during his tenure here in Toronto. I want a scoring low-post threat ontop of a solid defender and consistent rebounder.

That isn't too much to ask, is it?
                            Ed Davis if Memphis drops him? lol he doesnt have to resign with them, but I agree id want a more mature big man down low beside JV. The team is really missing that guy to keep defenders focused on more than just the perimeter, 2nd would be solid back up point BC has his work cut out for him this summer. Seriously playoffs is a must next season.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              I still think that low-post threat is being given way too much attention. JV is going to be scoring on the inside more and more as he improves. Amir also does most of his damage rolling to the basket and with little drop shots and hooks. I think if any PF is going to be a long-term acquisition...say a 3-4 year deal, then it's way more important that such a PF actually can hit jumpers consistently, as a pick-n-pop threat. I would be fine with Millsap, who's an all-around threat to score, or Ilyasova as kind of the stretch 4 version of Amir....My fallback player to go after with the MLE is Carl Landry.

I think signing a guy like Jefferson will just lead to having to trade him within a couple of years as he's too slow to play a lot of PF (mostly plays C for Utah), not long or very good defensively, and will make it harder to find JV post touches as he grows. I am somewhat ok with Gasol because it would only be a one year rental. I am also somewhat ok with Boozer as at least there is no positional overlap with JV, so at least he won't take his minutes even if he takes some touches.

The other thing we are missing is Landry Fields' jump shot....every time I see AA out there monopolizing the offense like he's Michael Jordan, I can't help but think how badly we need an actual glue guy out on the floor. I'd also hope that any new backup PG is a better glue guy than Lucas. I think with Casey this year he's shown that he really overvalues shooting...that's why guys like Andrea, AA and Lucas see so much time. He seems more worried that other guys will miss looks those guys make (as if those guys don't go ice cold for long stretches), rather than realizing how a guy like Fields will look for higher % plays, be it for him or another player. *not suggesting Fields should necessarily be getting big minutes, but rather if his jumper wasn't so broken, I can't imagine why AA would ever see the floor over him
                              Totally agree. We don't need the ball to stop down low. It doesn't play to our strengths. Even if it commands a double team we don't possess the perimeter shooting to take advantage of it. We'll be chucking jumpers even more which is not what we need. Besides, how many legitimate low-post threats are there out there, and how exactly are we going to get one?
                              There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

We need a low post threat because in this stage of development JV just isnt there yet hes going to be a beast someday you can see it but hes still I think 3 seasons away from being a legitimate give him the ball and score 2 for us down low kinda guy.

3 bigs rotation JV, (Unknown Vet PF) or Ed Davis & Amir Johnson Acy and Gray playing filler time.. I can live with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X