Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With The Current Club, What Are We Missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DeRozan isnt going anywhere fellas so relax there and MLSE has already given the ok about paying luxury if the team is winning. Grabbing Pau Gasol would be an awful move, mr Ga-Soft no thanks. mr in 10 games out 20? no thanks. Mr Poster No thanks. Mr Tendenitis? no thanks. Mr Flop? no thanks. Mr 3 time champion sure but this isnt Gasol from some years ago this is mr Retiring in a couple of years knees slightly stronger than Yao Ming Ga-soft yaaaa no thanks.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
      Elton Brand??? You guys are being serious???
      He's played extremely well in a reduced role in Dallas. I think he'd be great as the backup C (ok, he's more PF than C, but in this day and age, he's definitely strong enough and definitely supplies help D and rebounding), who could also slide to PF for some matchups (like playing Memphis). Again, I think this would be a great option if the PF we get is someone like Carl Landry, who you do not want to rely on for interior presence or defending bruisers.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        Good luck with getting any of that with the diarrhea milkshake of a financial situation we have
        +1. And amnestying Kleiza + trade Bargnani for someone expiring still leaves us over the cap. MLE is the only way we can acquire these players. $5 million dollars isn't well enough to sign all but one of those insurance wings, and insurance guards.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

interested to see how colangelo talks his way out of this one.....who knows. It will be fun watching him squirm that's for sure. probably lose hair and have bags under his eyes and stuff, LOL.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
            interested to see how colangelo talks his way out of this one.....who knows. It will be fun watching him squirm that's for sure.
            hahahaha for sure...I love hearing the web of crap he spins every time he addresses the media. It's great. It might actually be the best part about him having the job.

Comment

First of all, the Raptors need a new head coach. I like Casey, he seems like a real nice guy i just don't think he's an NBA caliber coach.

Second, they need a starting 4. Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson should be their #1 target this offseason. Backup plan, Elton Brand.

Third, they need a backup PG and a backup C. Lucas and Gray are not good enough.

Finally, they need to surround these guys with veteran players. Bring in some leadership because leadership i think is lacking on this team.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                interested to see how colangelo talks his way out of this one.....who knows. It will be fun watching him squirm that's for sure. probably lose hair and have bags under his eyes and stuff, LOL.
                Don't know what to say about BC right now, poor guy probably hitting his head on the wall starting from the Wizards match up last week, there should be a massive hole in MLSE's office by now.

Comment

Sign-and-trade for the Utah bigs could work
                  (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                    Al Jefferson
                    Paul Milsap
                    Ersan Ilyasova
                    Carlos Boozer
                    Pau Gasol

Who would fit the best at the starting PF?
                    I personally like Millsap because of his versatility. He can score on the low block with his back to the basket, or can face-up from 15 feet and in. Good rebounder, banger defensively and offensively. Under-sized, but from that list, he's the one with room still left to grow, and benefits us for the future as well.
                    Ilyasova is a wild card, who knows, he's more of a face-up player and a while he's a good rebounder, and team defender, doesn't really address the need of inside presence.

Toronto needs more of a inside presence than a player to fill the 4 position. Preferably though, it be a power forward because while Amir is a solid starting power forward, he's better suited off the bench, and doesn't provide much inside scoring other than off rolls, or put-backs to the rim.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                      Al Jefferson
                      Paul Milsap
                      Ersan Ilyasova
                      Carlos Boozer
                      Pau Gasol

Who would fit the best at the starting PF?
                      For a variety of reasons that (which I posted in a different thread but will repeat here), an acquisition of a Pau Gasol will benefit the Raptors in a lot of ways. In the other thread, I suggested a trade of Andrea Bargnani + DeMar DeRozan for Pau Gasol + filler or pick, say perhaps, Jodie Meeks.

#1 - He is a skilled big man [rebounds, can pass, can hit 15 - 18 ft shots, has size, low post and high post threat]

#2 - He automatically becomes Valanciunas' mentor even for just 1 year (but can definitely extend beyond that)

#3 - Moving DeMar DeRozan (promising player - but will no longer be in his rookie deal) clears up some space for Terrence Ross' development.

#4 - This would probably mean Fields becomes the starting 2. He doesn't score like DeMar, but he is a very smart player especially on defense and he is capable of rebounding.

#5 - Lowry is on a contract year. He can compensate for DeRozan's offensive production.

# 6 - Massive $19 M expiring contract. This clears up our financial situation long-term. By removing Bargnani's dead weight & DeRozan's long term contract and replacing it with an expiring, the Raptors can save $40 M in salaries over the next 4 years.

#7 - If all else fails and the Raptors don't make the playoffs next year, this deal leaves us with a 2014 lottery pick, a sh!t load of cap space & a couple of massive expiring contracts in Rudy Gay and Landry Fields. Terrence Ross and Valanciunas remain as foundation pieces & you can rebuild as early as NEXT off season.

#8 - If things do work, we have a primary scorer in Gay, a secondary scorer in Lowry, inside presence in Gasol, Amir as a 3rd big [what luxury], good wing defender in Fields & prospects in Ross & Valanciunas.
                      “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        He's played extremely well in a reduced role in Dallas. I think he'd be great as the backup C (ok, he's more PF than C, but in this day and age, he's definitely strong enough and definitely supplies help D and rebounding), who could also slide to PF for some matchups (like playing Memphis). Again, I think this would be a great option if the PF we get is someone like Carl Landry, who you do not want to rely on for interior presence or defending bruisers.
                        I actually agree.

Elton brand is almost exactly what we need if we are choosing to go the route of giving the majority of the minutes to JV and Amir (which we should). He can come in and play limited minutes, while at the same time provide leadership which we desperately need

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                          Elton Brand??? You guys are being serious???
                          +1. Thats just pure insanity

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
                            My suggestion would be to trade Andrea Bargnani + DeMar DeRozan to the Lakers for Pau Gasol + filler or pick.

From a talent perspective, I think the Raptors will end up losing this trade. DeRozan is an emerging player in his own right, Bargnani is still a 7 footer with range, while Gasol is an aging player who has had his fair share of injuries.

In terms of long-term flexibility, the Raptors are saving $40.5 M in salaries. Gasol is a massive expiring contract @ $19M and he is set to expire at the end of next season. This leaves the Raptors with approximately $66 M in committed salary next season assuming Kleiza gets amnestied, Gray and Lucas pick up their player options & the Raptors pick up Lowry's option.

You can further round out the roster with complimentary & consistent role players, but essentially, our rotation will look like:
                            Lowry / (back up PG) / Lucas
                            Fields / Ross
                            Gay / (back up wing)
                            Gasol / Johnson / Acy
                            Valanciunas / Gray

Fields will not produce the same #'s as DeRozan, but he does however bring defense, IQ, passing & some shot creating. If he can work with the Raptors shooting coach in the off season & improve his shooting to a level that is deemed respectable, we have ourselves a pretty good role player.

This will also open up the roster for Ross & I can only hope that he puts in the work in the off season. In Gasol, Valanciunas has a veteran mentor with championship pedigree and not to mention, Gasol is a very skilled player. Gasol will also allow the Raptors to have somewhat of an inside game.

Barring injuries & assuming the coaching situation improves (whether it's Casey or another coach), this roster is good enough to compete for a playoff spot somewhere between the 5-8 range.

The most important value this trade presents is the ability to get out of our financial situation created by Colangelo handing out massive contracts to average NBA players.

If all else fails ....
                            - Disappointing season (no playoffs)
                            - Lowry walks
                            - Gasol expires
                            - Gray and Lucas gone

... You can picture our situation NEXT summer. We have a lottery pick, a massive expiring contract in Rudy Gay, Valanciunas and Ross in rookie deals & a TON of cap room. Suddenly, there is a light at the end of the tunnel as insurance should we fall victims of yet another disappointing season.
                            This is foolish beyond belief

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                              First of all, the Raptors need a new head coach. I like Casey, he seems like a real nice guy i just don't think he's an NBA caliber coach.

Second, they need a starting 4. Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson should be their #1 target this offseason. Backup plan, Elton Brand.

Third, they need a backup PG and a backup C. Lucas and Gray are not good enough.

Finally, they need to surround these guys with veteran players. Bring in some leadership because leadership i think is lacking on this team.
                              I agree with everything you said except the bolded line.

The jury's still out on Casey. He had a lockout season with no training camp, and a roster overhaul this year right in the middle of the playoff push.

I think that he has done an OK job, but I think that he needs to seriously change the theme next year with the team. You cannot keep going with the "pound the rock" idea. He needs to start instilling an attitude of "we are good now and are improving" and not necessarily that "we need to get better".

There's a subtle difference but I think that everything we've heard from him is basically the same thing over and over again, and teams need a change in how the message is delivered

Comment

• I am a big Cavaliers fan and have seen Marreese Speights play over a dozen games since we acquired him.

The guy is good as a fourth big but there is no way I want him as the first big of the bench if we are to compete. He loves to shoot and will do so every time he thinks he's open. So he ended up as a high usage, jump shooter who takes a lot of long twos early in the shot clock.

While he is a good rebounder, Marreese is a below average defender, both 1on1 and has a help defender.

I would not offer him more than $4 million a year.

Comment

Working...
                                X