Would you rather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you rather...

Snatch the 8th seed and get swept away by Miami in first round OR finish 9th and give OKC the worst possible pick?

Doesn't really seem like we have a choice but, I would go with playoffs and hope that Indianna catches Miami In the last 20 games
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I think the pieces are there already for the most part. I'd rather get an established player via trade than take another gamble with even more rookies you have to build for several more years at this point.

Regardless of how far they would make it, getting into the playoffs this year would definitely help rejuvenate the team and fans into believing again.
      Last edited by iblastoff; Sat Mar 2, 2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

playoffs because if we stay in them we eventually end up giving okc just a a playoff pick

Comment

d749 wrote: View Post
          playoffs because if we stay in them we eventually end up giving okc just a a playoff pick
          ...what?

Comment

Playoffs everytime.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Finish 9th and let OKC get the pick. The coming draft is the best time to see OKC use our pick as it lacks star quality. Besides getting it over with would be nice.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Finish 9th.
                only so we can have another trade asset moving forward. Besides I would hate to find us 4 years down the road having a tanked season and giving OKC our number 1 overall. If you want to make the playoffs this year, you probably want to make them for a few years in a row, and you are most likely going to find yourself owing OKC an unprotected lottery pick
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Playoffs:

Pros: Experience for the young players. Tasting of what it takes to try and win a new environment, and new tempo of game. National coverage for now, and big picture. Attracting free agents, staff etc.

Cons: Pick stays with us, but a poor pick, and takes away our ability to use it as a trade asset.

9th Seed:

Pros: OKC gets a low pick. Gives MLSE and Toronto ample time management to make decisions upon head office, roster, etc.

Cons: No playoffs = lost season. Team plays for nothing. Losing equals to less attraction in free agency, or players/coverage.

I'm taking playoffs.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I go with make the playoffs, because that means we are playing at a CRAZY high level to finish the season. Although it makes sense to give up the pick now as it allows more flexibility in terms of making trades, I prefer to see the team play at that high level because hopefully that allows them to carry their success over into next year and set their goal as home court advantage.

Unfortunately, the playoff odds must be getting pretty close to zero right now, and without some roster changes our hope of getting home court next year is about as slim.
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                      I go with make the playoffs, because that means we are playing at a CRAZY high level to finish the season. Although it makes sense to give up the pick now as it allows more flexibility in terms of making trades, I prefer to see the team play at that high level because hopefully that allows them to carry their success over into next year and set their goal as home court advantage.

Unfortunately, the playoff odds must be getting pretty close to zero right now, and without some roster changes our hope of getting home court next year is about as slim.
                      +1, but like you said, unlikely we get into that final spot.

Comment

Agree with most people's sentiment. First and foremost .. we arent making the playoffs, so the question is somewhat moot.

However, lets assume he hadnt blown the games we did this week and there was still a glimmer of hope (which there isnt any longer).

Two factors that I dont think people have mentioned (in addition to the pros and cons already mentioned).
                        Pro - I actually get to go to a home playoff game for the first time is a LOOOOOOONG time. Ive gotta admit, that would be nice
                        Con - if we do miss the playoffs, there is still a chance (albeit a small one) that we win the lottery and keep the pick. This would obviously be the best of all scenarios to get top 3 draft pick. Even in a "weak" draft, a top 3 pick has a lot of value

Weighing these and all the factors mentioned, I still think missing the playoffs would be the best thing for the team long term. Look at a team like Philly this year .. who squeaked in and actually made a bit of a run in the playoffs .. hasnt helped them much make the next step. Whether or not this team makes the playoffs this year or not, it will still have many years of progression until its a legit playoff team, let alone a legit contender.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                          Agree with most people's sentiment. First and foremost .. we arent making the playoffs, so the question is somewhat moot.

However, lets assume he hadnt blown the games we did this week and there was still a glimmer of hope (which there isnt any longer).

Two factors that I dont think people have mentioned (in addition to the pros and cons already mentioned).
                          Pro - I actually get to go to a home playoff game for the first time is a LOOOOOOONG time. Ive gotta admit, that would be nice
                          Con - if we do miss the playoffs, there is still a chance (albeit a small one) that we win the lottery and keep the pick. This would obviously be the best of all scenarios to get top 3 draft pick. Even in a "weak" draft, a top 3 pick has a lot of value

Weighing these and all the factors mentioned, I still think missing the playoffs would be the best thing for the team long term. Look at a team like Philly this year .. who squeaked in and actually made a bit of a run in the playoffs .. hasnt helped them much make the next step. Whether or not this team makes the playoffs this year or not, it will still have many years of progression until its a legit playoff team, let alone a legit contender.
                          You have to take into consideration the risk they took in breaking up the original core in dealing for Bynum, who hasn't played a game yet - and probably won't this season - for the Sixers. It's a completely different team, so it doesn't exactly create that scenario you mentioned.

Although, it's definitely helped Jrue Holiday. So, maybe that's a positive. But, we all know one individual doesn't create a team.

Comment

At this point, I'm just too jaded to even consider playoffs EVER. We fucked up our rebuild, AGAIN and now we will likely lose a shot at Wiggins. Gay is good, but he's no Lebron and the idea of him getting offered max money by BC to resign here makes me physically ill. Honestly, you can't blame Gay if he signs on the dotted line and screws us over for god knows how many years - BC HAS to lose his job before anything gets better. We will never get out of this shithole while he is at the helm.

Comment

9th spot is the only choice so yes 9th spot it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X